my new hunt'n truck

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

my new hunt'n truck

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun May 27, 2012 10:06 am

Picked up a new 2011 HD Duramax to replace aging 2001 (has 67,000 miles on it) 8.1L HD. I have found that the LT trim of the 2001 is a lot higher end trim than the new LT. My 2001 has heated 6 way power leather buckets, carpeted door panels, overhead console, clearance lights and all the little extras. The new LT has plastic door panels and 40/20/40 leather bench, no overhead console and the carpet and headliner just feel "cheaper" than the old model. I plan on installing the clearance lights, a new set of wheels, leveling kit and 295/70-18's shortly and possibly changing it to a 4:11 gear so that the speedo is correct and to gain back any power lost to the larger tires. That gives me an excuse to open up the front differential for an air locker too. but with just 140 miles on it now mixed back roads and highway it is averaging 18.5mpg. Not sure I like having to fill up an urea bottle (DEF, diesel exhaust Fluid) but I will will live with it I guess. I Might even go with a cold air intake but will not be adding any tuners or engine mods.

Now I just need to camo the bottom in shadowgrass :thumbsup:

P1010228.JPG

the old 94 in the background has about 250,000 on it now and the cab finally rusted off the mounts and fell down onto the frame. Still drives good but is pretty much a farm only truck now.
P1010230.JPG

P1010233.JPG

P1010232.JPG
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: my new hunt'n truck

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:22 am

needs a leveling kit! I LOVE the look of the 2011+ duramaxs! congrats! thats a nice color too! :bow:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby NC Wood Duck Hunter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Nice truck man, chevys are The best
BOOM BOOM BOOM!
NC Wood Duck Hunter
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:49 am

Sweet ride. I LOVE the way the new 6 speed autos drive

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:27 am

They drive nice but I am not a fan of the torque management. The 07 classic was a LOT faster off the line than this one is as is my 01 8.1L. but I will see what I can do to remedy that. I just installed the shock extenders and turned up the torsion keys 2" still rides the same but I have to adjust the headlights. will do that when my new high intensity bulbs arrive. I also have the roof marker lights to install too.

New tires next month 285/75-18 toyo AT's :biggrin: I will pick up a set of 35/12.50-18 Swampers to put on it for play time. A buddy has them on his 11 and they clear just fine with the 2" torsion adjustment.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 pm

I haven't driven a dmax/6 speed combo. We have a 6.0/6L80 at work and I love it, but it's a no frills work truck. It rides and drives a lot nicer than the 6.2/6 speed f250 I drove

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:00 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:They drive nice but I am not a fan of the torque management. The 07 classic was a LOT faster off the line than this one is as is my 01 8.1L. but I will see what I can do to remedy that. I just installed the shock extenders and turned up the torsion keys 2" still rides the same but I have to adjust the headlights. will do that when my new high intensity bulbs arrive. I also have the roof marker lights to install too.

New tires next month 285/75-18 toyo AT's :biggrin: I will pick up a set of 35/12.50-18 Swampers to put on it for play time. A buddy has them on his 11 and they clear just fine with the 2" torsion adjustment.

you'll rub a lot with just a level and 35's on it! I recommend getting the HS performance tuner or EFI live when they unlock the LML's and get rid of the Tm and you'll see how good they really are!

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:00 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:you'll rub a lot with just a level and 35's on it! I recommend getting the HS performance tuner or EFI live when they unlock the LML's and get rid of the Tm and you'll see how good they really are!

:thumbsup:
I will soon know for sure in about a week, will post more pic's

I know of several guys running them by turning up the torsions 2" and one guy with 35" General grabbers rubs the frame at full left turn just enough to feel it but nothing on a right turn. The others running 35" AT's have not had any rubbing issues. But I am sure if you were compressing the suspension fully or taking jumps you would rub something. This is on the Stock wheels too. The 285's I am going with are 34.8" and only 11.50 wide so I am 1" narrower and slightly shorter so I do not expect to have any issues at all. The local Bell tire assures me that if they rub they will take them back for a full refund. he says he puts these on trucks daily with no issues.

The way I see it I want to be able to get in with out a ladder, and not feel tipsy. My wife has a hard time now at only 5' and 100# she has to pull herself up into the truck. This along with the MI lift laws that measure frame height rather than bumper height. My 79 K30 did not have a lift and run 36" with fender cutting, flares and offset wheels. I see guys with 8" lift and 36" tires what they do not get is that the ground clearance is basically the same with equal size tires even if you have a 12" lift the axles are still the same height from the ground. I will high center easier than they will but I have never run into that situation in the trails or pits.

I have found that if I turn off the traction control, Run the RPMs up to around 1500 release the brake and punch it down it Smokes 'm good. Not that I want to do that often but I like to know it does have the ability if I choose to do so.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Just finished installing the cab marker lights, These should be standard on the HD's IMO. Took about 2 hours to install but If I did not measure everything 10 times before drilling the holes I probably could have cut some of that time off. These are as close as I could find to factory look and they are LED so they should last as long as the truck does. Still waiting for my tires :mad:

P1010352.JPG

P1010353.JPG

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:15 pm

I like those cab lights! they look great on there!

and with the tires you're goin with if you keep them on stock wheels and maybe a tiny wheel spacer you could get away without rubbing. but with a wider set-up I know you'll rub my brother's 08 duramax rubs 35x13 trail grapplers on 22x11 wheels under a 4-6in lift cranked to 6. only at full just at the cab corners.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:48 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:I like those cab lights! they look great on there!

Thanks, I was worried about drilling 1/2" holes in the cab of a new truck but it worked out great. :beer:

2500hdon37s wrote: with the tires you're goin with if you keep them on stock wheels and maybe a tiny wheel spacer you could get away without rubbing. but with a wider set-up I know you'll rub my brother's 08 duramax rubs 35x13 trail grapplers on 22x11 wheels under a 4-6in lift cranked to 6. only at full just at the cab corners.

The 11's are different in the front end then the 07 to 10 models, Looks like a complete redesign to me with the same basic setup but still different upper and lower control arms and various steering components. Not sure if you have noticed or not but they use a different wheel offset too. My dads 07 could only run 33's with the torsion bars turned up. but I have talked to a lot of guys with 11's with no rubbing issues running 35's (11.50 to 12.50) with 2 to 2.5" torsion adjustment. I do not like wheel spacers as they make the tires stick out past the body, not a good look IMO on a daily driver. and it throws off the steering geometry slightly.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:19 pm

yea, I knew about the suspension change and they have a rounded bumper instead of a more squared off end by the tire, they also use a diffrent lug pattern than all previous 8-lug GM trucks :no:

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum