oil / fuel filters wix vs purolator

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

oil / fuel filters wix vs purolator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:27 pm

I have been using wix and purolator filters for years due to them having much better reviews than the "mart" stores Fram and store named filters.

I am trying to come up with information on which of these 2 is actually the better filter, SO MANY reviews and they all seem to be split about 50-50. some say that wix actually has a smaller filter inside due to the coil spring used over the pure leaf spring setup. others say they only buy the pure due to it costing less than Wix. I have never had either fail and never had any engine issues using either one. But I am now driving my first Diesel PU and want the better of the 2 if one is actually better than the other. in our farm tractors and dozers we use Wix due to availability over anything else but for this new truck I can get any brand for it, have also checked reviews of AC delco, bosch, K&N and several others and the wix and purolator still come out on top in all the reviews I have read.

anyone had bad experiences with either one or had any type of failures?
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: oil / fuel filters wix vs purolator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:08 pm

I usually stick to Wix for oil filters unless they are out of stock then i go with AC delco, and change my oil filer every 3-5K miles, as for fuel filters I just get Wix as well run it for 20-25K miles.

my dad and brother are both running Wix filters all around in their duramaxs as well.

PS a great place to get OEM replacement parts is Rockauto.com! CHEAP!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:41 pm

Hastings has some great Microns filtration. The best rated one is Mobil, I cant find them :sad:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:27 pm

War Wagon wrote:Hastings has some great Microns filtration. The best rated one is Mobil, I cant find them :sad:

dont always want the tightest filtering filter if you're a little performance and millage oriented. can rob you big time for power and rob a mile or 2 per gallon.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:48 am

Filtration is only part of the equation, construction is equally important. I use Amsoil filters on my Jeep and wife's car. On my dd I use Wix

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:20 am

I sometimes wonder if it really matters at all. My dad has always used the cheapest filters he can buy, he still has some old K-Mart branded filters on the shelf. he now uses walmart brand and seems to not have any issues. his 77 got over 450,000 on it before the frame rotted out and his 94 now has over 270,000 and still going strong (second trans due to hauling a lot with it) and several others He has had all get the oil changed every 7,000 miles or so if they need it or not :no: . but I personally have this mindset that you need a name brand filter or your engine will die :fingerhead: I will probably use Wix until I am out of them (bought a few for the shelf) then I will probably switch to puralator.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:03 pm

You're probably never going to know the difference, they're both good

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby handyandy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:40 am

I always use wix puralators are good too I'm just more partial to wix.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby CarolinaCutta » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:03 am

i always run wix and will continue for the rest of my life made in my backyard, Gastonia NC good to support a local company
CarolinaCutta
hunter

Postby jeremy_f405 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:11 pm

WIX and nothing else, cut a few different brands apart and wix is all you'll want to use.
jeremy_f405
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum