Tahoe vs. Truck

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Tahoe vs. Truck

Postby Richykneece5 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:04 am

Im trying to decide between getting a Z71 Tahoe or a truck... I hunt a lot, mostly deer and some waterfowl, and I bass fish a lot. I want a Tahoe because I feel like I would have more room for my gear and clothes and I would also feel safer leaving my stuff inside of the car rather than in the bed of a pick up. I feel like a tahoe would be better for traveling and going to school, but I also feel like it might be too much of a pain having to worrying about putting a rack on the back every time i go deer hunting just in case I kill something... So what are you opinions on tahoes vs. trucks and if you have had experience with both please share which one you liked best!
Thanks
Richykneece5
hunter

Re: Tahoe vs. Truck

Postby ajmorell » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:00 pm

Truck with topper? Transporting a dead deer in a Tahoe might be more difficult

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby rwperry » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:06 pm

I would go with a tahoe. Its not that difficult to hook a trailer or something to carry a deer.
rwperry
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:06 pm

I've had and liked all versions (Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado and Avalanche) and there is no single or "perfect" vehicle. The Tahoe (and Suburban) is good for an all aound vehicle as you can lock up & secure belongings inside where they are out of the weather but are limited with the ability to haul bigger/taller stuff like a truck. For deer hunting a hitch haul does work but it adds length to the truck and you need to be careful in tight spots or hills. I built a nice version of a truck vault for guns, ammo, clothes and smaller gear and put a rubber cargo mat on top and could haul most anything used for hunting or fishing.

Trucks are a good all around as most anything can be thrown in the back...but without a topper or cap it is there for all to see (or grab) and is in the weather. Caps are nice but they have to be removed for large stuff as well which can be a pain sometimes.

I'm on my 2nd Avalanche and love them as they are a good compromise. With all but the largest of items they are locked up and out of the weather (and out of sight as well) and with the 3 lid pieces removed (a 3 minute job) you basically have a pickup truck. Also, with the mid gate down and the lids removed I can haul 18'+ material resting it on the dash and hanging it off the tailgate...something even a truck cannot do unless you stick it through a sliding rear window. Since they took the "Honda Element" plastic crap off the sides they are the same body as a Silverado and look much better.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:40 am

truck. not only is it a pain to clean the inside of a tahoe when you get it nasty with waders, boots, clothes, maybe even decoys and such it just gets worse. not to mention I can haul a layout boat in the bed and not need a trailer. if you feel you need the lockable storage... get a good tool box. thats where i keep my waders, blind bag, some decoys, tools, and etc. and I still have the bed space.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Tahoe vs. Truck

Postby whisperin' duck » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:32 pm

If I didn't need a 3/4 ton for pulling I'd have an expedition. I use to keep a jeep cherokee to hunt out of but I haven't got around to buying one yet this year. There are pro's n cons to both. My thing is with a 1/2 ton truck the beds are smaller on a crew cab and you'll end up pulling a trailer with the 4wheeler on it anyway. Why not have an suv and keep you stuff safe, dry, and warm! But ultimately it comes down to what YOU want. I want an suv but I need a truck for work. Unless they come back out with the excursion or 3/4 ton suburban! :yes:

Sent via my pretentious BlackBerry using Tapatalk while on the crapper
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Tahoe vs. Truck

Postby gr8white » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:37 pm

I have a 3/4 ton Duramax and my wife has an 09 Z71 Tahoe. I'd use the Tahoe IF my wife would let me, lol.
I used to put a topper on my truck during the fall at the start of duck season, but always wound up having to take it off/on when I needed to haul large items...got tired of doing that so I sold the topper. It made for secure storage when I had it though.
I'd still rather use the Tahoe if I had a choice.
gr8white
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:17 am

the pickup is a better choice for me, My cousin has a tahoe and we run out of room quickly tying to stuff the decoy sled, 4 or 5 bags of decoys (duck and goose) and the guns, waders, coolers, and misc in there, Then you have to Smell the marsh on the ride home for 2 hours. puting a dead critter in the back would be a mess. A trailer is a pain in the :mad: if you hunt dead end trails with no turn around area.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:00 pm

Truck all the way. Dont have to worry about getting the back dirty. Worst case, hose it down with a water hose and you're ready to go. :thumbsup:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum