tire options

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

tire options

Postby teamroughneck » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Ok, i bought an 80 model f150 300 straight 6 engine 4 spd granny low in the floor 4x4 friday, yes its an old truck but it has 80,000 miles everything original inside and out even had the original plugs and wires. only thing new on it was a set of Ultra wheels which had used 33x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws and i am looking for some tire options. I love the baja claws due to the open tread with excellent clean out capabilities and just wondering if there are any other tires out there similar to them. I drive about 70 miles hwy round trip twice a week to class and rest of driving is just local runs. As far as hunting, I end up in everything from soup to gummy mud for long distances, pavement to gravel to steep flint rock roads climbing half mile hills in and out of gullies goin to and from the lake. So i need a very versatile tire and a stout one and must have good clean out capabilties. So any input would be great, tell me the good the bad and the ugly.
Nothing makes a day of hunting better then having a kid with you..
teamroughneck
hunter

Re: tire options

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:49 pm

nitto trail grapplers IMO quiet, clean very well, last a long time, and come in tons of sizes. toyo MT's would be another good option last a little longer on the road some say they dont do as well in mud but they do great if you know how to drive and have the right air pressure. cooper STT and Mickey thompson MTZ's would also be some great options as far as extremely versitile go and dont humm too much on the road.

I have the mud grapplers and they need some wheel speed to clean out well, they have been a great tire for me (40k+ miles on them and still have 30-40% left) wouldnt get these unless you arent going to care about highway noise. I havent got stuck with them on and have ran through holes in 2wd that trucks in 4wd with BFG km2's got stuck in.

personally I'd stay away from BFG's KM2's, any super swampers (because you're on the road), and any off brand tire.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Claws are good for the stick stuff, but they are loud on the road and I haven't seen a pair that wore worth a crap yet. I agree that the KM2s are not well suited for mud. They are a good tire, quiet on the road and wear well, but they don't clean out that well, at least in my experience. If you're looking for tires that will wear well and do pretty well offroad any of the ones mentioned above will get it done. If you're looking for pure performance and don't care about highway noise or wear then I may consider something like the swamper SSR or Trxus MT. The Trxus MTs were my favorite set of tires I've owned but didn't wear all that great and were pretty loud on the street.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:10 am

Goodyear Duratracs or Toyo AT II's. I ran the toyos for many years on an HD and they were great for highway with no noise and sitck like glue on icy roads too. on the farm it is all clay and in the mud (like all tires) if you can spin them enough to keep them clean they work great. They are not an MT but for the normal trails and hauling wagons thru the muddy fields they never left me worried about getting stuck. I now run Duratracs and so far they are working great too, Got them in to the clay mud almost up to the hubs on my Duramax and they pulled right thru with no problems at all. the only complaint is that they take a lot of mud with them out onto the road and throw it all over the sides of your truck. They are also a bit noisy but no where near as loud as the Swamper TSL's I run on th eother truck. The nice thing about the TSL's is that they are soft and seem to grip icy roads pretty good too, BUT you need ear plugs to drive the old truck.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:58 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote: no where near as loud as the Swamper TSL's I run on th eother truck. The nice thing about the TSL's is that they are soft and seem to grip icy roads pretty good too, BUT you need ear plugs to drive the old truck.

haha I just act like im driving a plane when im on the highway with my mud grapplers!

I also remember a 4hr round trip to KC from my house with boggers on the truck! THE RADIO WAS TURNED UP SOME MORE THAN USUAL!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:01 am

33's are too big for that stock truck. If the gears were changed then it would be different. Many years ago I had a 76 ford with the 300 ci 6 and the 4 speed with granny low. With mostly stock wheels and tires it didn't have a whole lot of power except in low and got lousy gas mileage . With 33's it will be even more gutless and worst gas mileage. Gears 2,3,and4 are the equivalent of 1,2 and 3 on a 3 speed tranny. It may look cool with 33's but not very practical. What ever kind of tires you get I'd go smaller. Also just my 2 cents worth since it sounds like 95% of your driving is on the road and a small portion is off road I' d think about some A/T's of some kind.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:12 pm

California Sprig wrote:33's are too big for that stock truck. If the gears were changed then it would be different. Many years ago I had a 76 ford with the 300 ci 6 and the 4 speed with granny low. With mostly stock wheels and tires it didn't have a whole lot of power except in low and got lousy gas mileage . With 33's it will be even more gutless and worst gas mileage. Gears 2,3,and4 are the equivalent of 1,2 and 3 on a 3 speed tranny. It may look cool with 33's but not very practical. What ever kind of tires you get I'd go smaller.

I can not agree with this as I have known / driven several of the 80's ford's with 300 engines (even with plows on them) that came factory with 4:11 gears which is plenty for 33" tires. Most Jeep Wranglers around here run 33's with 4cyl or 6 cyl engines with no problem at all but the 4cyl came with 4.11 gears and the 6's I think had 3.73's. I would stick with the 33's as they are a common size, lots of variety and always available. And the look better :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby teamroughneck » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:46 am

Ended up going wit MTX Wild Countries and have been pretty happy with them so far and as far as on and off road driving the truck has actually been about 75% off rd driven.They are a lil noisey on the hwy but radio and sub covers it pretty well. I dont know much about gears and all that but as far as the 33x12.50x15 being too big for it I have to strongly disagree, I did have to replace front differential shortly after buying the truck(was not anything i done to cause it) and was told by my mechanic that it had 3:90 gears front and back. At first he said I should think about smaller tires as well until he got into the differential and got to looking at stuff and when I picked up the truck he said he had to retract his statement about the tires and said that it would have no problem handling them. I am very far from inclined when it comes to mechanical work on vehicles and dont know alot about gear ratios and all that, thats why I have a good friendship with my mechanic lol and have to believe him when he says it can handle the tire size. My next upcoming project on it is a lil bit of lift just havent decided on how much. Roughcountry has a 2.5" and a 4" that I am trying to decide between and would like to see some pics of some of these model trucks with some lifts to see what they look like. I have absolutely no clearance issues wit my tires just wanting to change the stance and look a lil and make it a lil harder on my short gf to get in and out of.
Nothing makes a day of hunting better then having a kid with you..
teamroughneck
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:01 am

teamroughneck wrote:Ended up going wit MTX Wild Countries and have been pretty happy with them so far and as far as on and off road driving the truck has actually been about 75% off rd driven.They are a lil noisey on the hwy but radio and sub covers it pretty well. I dont know much about gears and all that but as far as the 33x12.50x15 being too big for it I have to strongly disagree, I did have to replace front differential shortly after buying the truck(was not anything i done to cause it) and was told by my mechanic that it had 3:90 gears front and back. At first he said I should think about smaller tires as well until he got into the differential and got to looking at stuff and when I picked up the truck he said he had to retract his statement about the tires and said that it would have no problem handling them. I am very far from inclined when it comes to mechanical work on vehicles and dont know alot about gear ratios and all that, thats why I have a good friendship with my mechanic lol and have to believe him when he says it can handle the tire size. My next upcoming project on it is a lil bit of lift just havent decided on how much. Roughcountry has a 2.5" and a 4" that I am trying to decide between and would like to see some pics of some of these model trucks with some lifts to see what they look like. I have absolutely no clearance issues wit my tires just wanting to change the stance and look a lil and make it a lil harder on my short gf to get in and out of.

i think the 2.5in lift would look better than the 4in because the 4in lift will have such a bigger gap between the tire and the wheel well. also i wouldnt use the lift blocks for the rear add more leafs to get the desired look or buy new lift springs. blocks put alot more pressure on the spings than if it were sitting on the axle. also not fun if for some reason the lift block comes out (have seen it happen)
krazybronco2
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum