Duck Hunting Forum banner

exhaust??????????????

3K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  ebitzan 
#1 ·
I have 05 f350 with 6.0 diesel and was wondering if anyone has straight piped the stock exhaust ? cheap easy to do but does it help and how does it sound ? any help would be awesome.

#3 ·
Cool thanks for the help. I figure I can straight pipe stock exhaust with a pretty 4 or 5 in tip for less than 85 bucks and 60 is the cost of the tip. My 03 f150 with 5.4 was straight piped with 3.1/2 in tip and it sounded as good as duels so I figured I'd try it on the new truck.

#7 ·
justinduckman7 said:
Cool thanks for the help. I figure I can straight pipe stock exhaust with a pretty 4 or 5 in tip for less than 85 bucks and 60 is the cost of the tip. My 03 f150 with 5.4 was straight piped with 3.1/2 in tip and it sounded as good as duels so I figured I'd try it on the new truck.
a diesel straight piped is a lot different than a gas motor...... gas motors sound terrible 95% of the time straight piped, where a diesel actually sounds good and isn't retarded and deafening loud on the highway. a gas motor actually needs some back pressure from the muffler so its not even good for a gas motor to be straight piped.

a stock pipe is super easy and cheap to straight pipe, honestly I wouldnt even put a tip on it... make it a sleeper truck if you have a programmer.

#8 ·
2500hdon37s said:
a gas motor actually needs some back pressure from the muffler so its not even good for a gas motor to be straight piped.
The motor itself doesn't need backpressure (an engine will run fine with open headers). Proper exhaust sizing (and subsequently backpressure) allows the exhaust to scavange properly and maintain a given temperature which improves exhaust flow and hence maximizes hp and torque.

#12 ·
So if my 6.0 needs back pressure then how come the 4" exhaust I can buy from the cat back isn't smaller where the muffler would be? I just planned on buying a 3 1/2 in piece of pipe with flares on it and putting it in place of muffler. Will this give it enough back pressure?? I know someone on here is a hardcore diesel guy

#18 ·
So you guys say just buy the after market exhaust and it won't mess up turbo ?? I can pick a cat back 4" with 5" tip for 325. I guess that will be my Christmas present to myself besides the ss prop I just bought for the duck boat

#19 ·
justinduckman7 said:
So you guys say just buy the after market exhaust and it won't mess up turbo ?? I can pick a cat back 4" with 5" tip for 325. I guess that will be my Christmas present to myself besides the ss prop I just bought for the duck boat
Call the manufacturer of whatever exhaust you are looking at and talk to them about it. They will be able to answer any questions you have.

#21 ·
justinduckman7 said:
So if my 6.0 needs back pressure then how come the 4" exhaust I can buy from the cat back isn't smaller where the muffler would be? I just planned on buying a 3 1/2 in piece of pipe with flares on it and putting it in place of muffler. Will this give it enough back pressure?? I know someone on here is a hardcore diesel guy
because it is a CAT BACK system with a muffler in it. A straight pipe has no cat, resonator, or muffler.

#23 ·
I know catback full exhaust will delete that stuff but I didn't want to drop $350 on that if I could just get by with leavi g everything stock and just deleting the stock muffler and adding a straight pipe. Price of that verses the full system is $300 . I would rather spend 50 and have same sound and a little more performance . $300 buys the rest of my stuff for duck boat that I would like to finish cause wife gets a little pissed when I try to drop a bunch of money on all the toys. :yes:

#24 ·
You can straight pipe a 6.0 by just replacing the muffler with a piece of stock diameter pipe and it will change some of the noise if that's what you're looking for. The resonator/cat (whatever you wanna call it) makes the most sound difference. Anybody that knows about diesels will tell you that a turbo actually gives a motor back pressure and acts as a muffler. Look at competition pulling trucks. It should not mess anything up to delete both of these items with stock pipe. Replacing with 3.5 is a cheaper route, the full 4 or 5 inch will just make more power and sound different because they will always flow better (mandrel bends, angles, etc). Its mostly personal choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.