Help with rust spots

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Help with rust spots

Postby shootable Goose » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:09 pm

So I have some rust spots In a few places on my truck. Also the inner part of the door on the bottom on both sides is rusting. It's not to bad right now but I'm the last year it's definitly getting worse. I have heard that 2nd gen dodges are notorious for the door rust problem, something with the draining of water In the door doesn't quite work, and the water just sits there and rusts.
So my question is does anybody know how to stop the rusting without replacing my doors or breaking the bank? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Re: Help with rust spots

Postby justinduckman7 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:14 am

Spray undercoating in the inside of the door is how my friend did it on his 03 Chevy . Loooked really good . Then he got some color matched stuff called chip gaurd to do the outside rocker panels
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:24 am

cut, weld, paint/ undercoat if its eating through the metal/ bubbling. but if its just on the surface of the metal you might be able to grind away the rust then paint.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby whisperin' duck » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Remove all rust; cut and replace or grind out and repair. Could go either way, rust sucks. :eek:
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shootable Goose » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:24 pm

You guys ever heard of rust converter? Supposedly you spray/paint it on the rust and it chemically changes the rust into "not rust"
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Re: Re: Help with rust spots

Postby ajmorell » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:32 pm

shootable Goose wrote:You guys ever heard of rust converter? Supposedly you spray/paint it on the rust and it chemically changes the rust into "not rust"

Yes, i think you're taking about a product like POR15. It does exactly like you said, but it's not the real fix to the problem. If you're on a tight budget it'll work though

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:38 am

shootable Goose wrote:You guys ever heard of rust converter? Supposedly you spray/paint it on the rust and it chemically changes the rust into "not rust"

like AJ said, POR15 more or less just stops/ slows the rust. it doesnt really modify it back into non-corroded metal.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum