f150 turbo

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

f150 turbo

Postby kb9zgb » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:32 pm

Kicking around the idea of a after market turbo something like this http://www.procharger.com/supercharger/blog/?p=143 Open to other ideas as well. truck is stock just want to get a little more pep out of it. seems with the 6 speed automatic it"s either running out of rpm or switching gears all the time. would a chip be a better alternative?
kb9zgb
hunter

Re: f150 turbo

Postby rozzo842 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Are you running stock size or larger tires? Your symptoms point to a larger than stock tire. If that is the case your best way to get back into the meat of the power is to regear your differentials.
rozzo842
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:55 pm

That's a supercharger, not a turbo. What engine in your F150, 4.6 or 5.4? Do some reading to see how the engines are holding up to boost in stock form.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:11 pm

ajmorell wrote:That's a supercharger, not a turbo. What engine in your F150, 4.6 or 5.4? Do some reading to see how the engines are holding up to boost in stock form.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

x2. that is NOT a turbo kit (good luck finding a decent turbo "kit", most good turbo set ups on gas motors are custom) but a supercharger is a great option if you wish to throw down the cash. I've got one on my truck (silverado 2500 /w 6.0L gas motor) and I can hold pretty steep hills on the highway and never down shift, and maintain my speed with minimal throttle input. but I can tell you a supercharger really helps the most when the Rpm's are higher (anything 2200) and you can start to feel it pull.

but If you're looking to gain back some power after bigger tires (as suggested you might be running) I would look into regearing your differentials to restore your rpm range back to factory and take the strain off of your transmission instead of adding to it with the supercharger.

I have 37x13.5 tires a ran my factory 4.10 gears for a bit with the supercharger and the truck was still a sluggish dog unless it was wide open turning 3500+RPM. Now that I regeared to 4.88's the truck is pretty snappy through out the RPM range and it feels much stronger now. it also used to downshift a lot on the highway before the regear. I would rather have the mechanical advantage of gears rather than throwing more power and stress through my transmission to turn bigger tires if this is the case.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby kb9zgb » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:26 pm

wow thanks for the input the truck is stock tires are what come with it. but yes changing the gear ratios would be the better solution.
kb9zgb
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum