Subaru Question

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Subaru Question

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:11 am

Hey guys,
I have an 08 Forester with 70k on it and I love it.
My friend has one with 100k on it and said that he did his timing chain at 70.....
Frankly I forgot all about the importance of doing that.
Who has a Subaru (doesn't have to be a Forester) and did their belt and when?
Why?

Also, they dealership pushes the water pump while you are in there, and a front rear "all wheel drive fluid" change...
How much of that is BS OR is it a good idea?
I don't intend on getting rid of this car for a while.

Thanks
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Subaru Question

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:56 am

wouldnt worry about the water pump unless those cars are prone to have problems with them, but the other stuff is good preventive maintenance.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:57 am

They say in the book that there are options..
Do just the belt, or add the water pump, or add the pump and the seal...
Their pitch is that "hey, we are already in there right!?"
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:56 am

With regard to the water pump, my SVT Focus was the same way. It's cheap and IMO worth doing if you plan on keeping the car. The OE water pump on my Focus had a plastic impeller which wore over time, the Subaru might be the same way. For sure do the fluids, just like engine oil the differential fluid needs to be serviced at regular intervals also. As for the appropriate time to do the timing belt it depends. I don't know if Subarus, or your particular year/make/model are interference engines or not. If not, theoretically you could let it go until it broke with no real ill effects. If it is an interference engine you will want to change at whatever interval Subaru recommends, otherwise if it breaks you will be out a lot more money.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby BloodThirstySinner » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Longtime Subaru owner here with a Legacy going on 270K miles on it. My mechanic has the same model I do and he's put over 500K on his. I've changed my own timing belt and your newer 3.0L engine is very new compared to my own. The timing belt isn't a terrible pain in the ass to change but it's a substantial piece of work. The thinking here is since the belt/chain have to be pulled to do the water pump - why not get in there and do it while it's staring you in the face.

That said, I don't know how often the water pump on your Subie needs to be replaced so check your manufacturer spec. to see if it's warranted on this chain replacement or not. By my estimate using the inter-webs for data, it neither needs the chain or the water pump changed but I'm not a professional mechanic. Maybe your guy sees/hears something wrong?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Forester
BloodThirstySinner
hunter

Postby rew » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:48 pm

subaru mechanic here just though i would kick in my 2 cents.
as far as the timing belt subaru says that they are due at 120k miles, we normally will do them around 100k.
water pumps dont leak that much on them,( they have a metal impeller) if it were me i wouldnt do it until it starts leaking.
if you were planning on keeping it for a long amount of time i would replace all the idler pulleys that run the belt though, have seen lots of them where the bearings go bad and seize up and allowing the belt to jump. gates make a nice kit that has all the idlers,tensioner, and timing belt all in one. not oem stuff but a lot cheaper and works good.
as far as the fluids goes it is good maintenance to change the fluids. diffs fluid usually holds up and doesnt start looking bad until like 100k miles or so. and there is no all wheel drive fluid. it is either automatic transmission fluid and front differential fluid, or manual trans fluid.
and your car has a belt not a chain, like was said earlier.
rew
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum