Leveling kit

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Leveling kit

Postby BEDB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Thinkin bout puttin a leveling kit on my 09 gmc Sierra 1500. Anybody have one or know much about em? Idk what kind to get or how big. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Peru, IL


Re: Leveling kit

Postby Sfd714 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Not sure about a gm truck. Does it have coil springs?

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
User avatar
Sfd714
hunter
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Leveling kit

Postby whisperin' duck » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:18 am

On the 09 Gmc's it is just longer bolts and a shim kit that goes below the strut assembly. Easy to install. I'd say get whatever brand is cheapest. Rough country or Trux are prominent in my area. Good luck!
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
User avatar
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 6627
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: North East Arkansas

Re: Leveling kit

Postby BEDB » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Have any of you guys done it to your trucks? Just kinda curious how it will ride, especially towing or with a bedful.
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Peru, IL

Re: Leveling kit

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:08 pm

I'm a member of GM full size forum too. if ya join there you better have tick skin, but most of the guys may razz you but give you good advice and have great looking trucks, I wouldnt go more than a 2.5in leveling kit other wise you'll be killing ball joints and cv axles, and I would suggest you pick up some upper control arms made for leveled and lifted trucks to correct the upper ball joint angle and ride a little better, I have some on my truck and love them! another option would be the Bilstein leveling strut. get a new shock/ and strut that is made to ride good while leveled because a leveling kit will decrease ride comfort some.

check out these leveled trucks-
http://gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109335
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3222
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Leveling kit

Postby QuackAddict95 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:42 pm

Mine has a 3 inch lift and an extra 1 inch coil spacer in the front. So its 4 in the front and 3 in the back. I think it looks pretty good. I can fit 35s pretty good
Attachments
1013121137(0001).jpg
1013121137(0001).jpg (16.98 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
QuackAddict95
hunter
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:11 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: Leveling kit

Postby dverrill » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:56 pm

I install a ton of the ready lift and procomp leveling kits. It is a spacer above the shock/spring and below to keep the arms at a reasonable angle. We never see any issues with anything prematurely wearing out. The ride stays factory as well. I do those and do an alignment after. The rear blocks are a big hit two. They give the gm's a nice stance IMHO.
dverrill
hunter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: Leveling kit

Postby Ryan Hill » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:02 pm

I've got ReadyLift leveling keys on my 09 Duramax. They come with shock extensions too.
User avatar
Ryan Hill
hunter
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:34 am
Location: Sherwood, Oregon

Re: Leveling kit

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Ryan Hill wrote:I've got ReadyLift leveling keys on my 09 Duramax. They come with shock extensions too.

torsion keys are a whole different ball game than what OP needs for leveling his truck.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3222
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Leveling kit

Postby Ryan Hill » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:01 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
Ryan Hill wrote:I've got ReadyLift leveling keys on my 09 Duramax. They come with shock extensions too.

torsion keys are a whole different ball game than what OP needs for leveling his truck.


Yeah, technically all he needs to do is crank his torsion bars up... That's free.
User avatar
Ryan Hill
hunter
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:34 am
Location: Sherwood, Oregon

Re: Leveling kit

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Ryan Hill wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:
Ryan Hill wrote:I've got ReadyLift leveling keys on my 09 Duramax. They come with shock extensions too.

torsion keys are a whole different ball game than what OP needs for leveling his truck.


Yeah, technically all he needs to do is crank his torsion bars up... That's free.

no, the new half tons dont have torsion bars, they have struts/ coil overs. Its actually much more simple than keys and cranking them up. just a bolt in spacer.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3222
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Leveling kit

Postby Drivetacks » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Had a zone off road leveling kit on my '07.5 silverado 1500, with 33" tires. Went great.
User avatar
Drivetacks
hunter
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: Leveling kit

Postby osiris » Sun May 25, 2014 5:39 pm

if you crank your torsion bars rember to get an alignment done or it will eat up your tires my 14 sierria still rides good despite the t bars cranked up
osiris
Newb
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: Leveling kit

Postby Rhock19 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:37 pm

he doesn't have torsion bars. Older GM half tons had them then they switched to coilovers in 07(?)
User avatar
Rhock19
hunter
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:19 pm
Location: WI

Re: Leveling kit

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:42 pm

osiris wrote:if you crank your torsion bars rember to get an alignment done or it will eat up your tires my 14 sierria still rides good despite the t bars cranked up

either you dont have a 2014 sierra or its a 3/4 ton. because a 2014 1500 has strut/ coilovers up front just like the '07-'13 1500 trucks.

torsion bars are on the '88- early '07 half tons and still on all '88+ 3/4 and one tons. with the exception of a few '89 and '90 one tons having solid axles up front, and some of the 2wdhalf tons having coils up front through the years.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3222
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Leveling kit

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:43 pm

Rhock19 wrote:he doesn't have torsion bars. Older GM half tons had them then they switched to coilovers in 07(?)

yup, GM switched to coilover stuts in late '07 when they went to the new body style trucks, but only for half ton trucks. all 3/4 and one tons still use torsion bars. which suck IMO
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3222
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Leveling kit

Postby osiris » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:21 pm

Its a 3/4 Ton i didnt know the 1/2's had a diffrent front suspension now


2500hdon37s wrote:
osiris wrote:if you crank your torsion bars rember to get an alignment done or it will eat up your tires my 14 sierria still rides good despite the t bars cranked up

either you dont have a 2014 sierra or its a 3/4 ton. because a 2014 1500 has strut/ coilovers up front just like the '07-'13 1500 trucks.

torsion bars are on the '88- early '07 half tons and still on all '88+ 3/4 and one tons. with the exception of a few '89 and '90 one tons having solid axles up front, and some of the 2wdhalf tons having coils up front through the years.
osiris
Newb
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:44 pm


Return to Vehicle forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest