Tundra VS. Silverado......

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Tundra VS. Silverado......

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:29 am

I'm looking into a new truck (still) and I like the Silverado. I went to look at it and they want $38k with $8k in rebates, they say it's 21mpg and I like it. The problem is that I'd have to put a little more into it to get it nice, I want the standard model(not the Z71), but the rims and tires are pretty lame.

Point 2:
I went to look at the Tundra and I REALLY liked it. Plenty of room, better looking and nice, even the stock model...BUT...It's about the same $38 with only $2k in rebates and it says 15mpg right on the sticker! It'll definitely be a lot more money...

I wouldn't be UN-happy in the Chevy, but I do like the Tundra more (haven't driven either)....

Also, I like my trucks, but I am in no way a gear head and I need to understand the engine options. Both trucks are available in two different engine sizes...I tow my duck boat, haul wood for the stove, a small landscaping business with one mower, weeder, blower and just general home owner odds and ends....no big trailers, boats, or long hauls....
Please explain the engine options...and which might be better for me

Thoughts on either or both please??
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Tundra VS. Silverado......

Postby ajmorell » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:00 pm

I don't have a lot of advice to offer, but the ONLY complaint I have heard from the latest generation of Tundra owners is the poor fuel mileage. I don't know if the poor mileage is specific to the 4.7 as well as the 5.7 or just the 5.7. If I were to go the Chevy route I'd get the 5.3 just because there is minimal difference in fuel economy between the 2 and the 5.3 will handle anything you put behind it a lot better.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:18 pm

Chevy hands down if you ever tow.......

my great uncle got the nice TuRD tundra in '09 and we can hook a trailer up to it with 2 pallets of block on a 16ft bumper tow and the tundra will be hitting the bump stops on any bump that moves the suspension a little and drags the jack of the trailer on speed bumps... with a 2in drop hitch turned over for 2in rise, and the ball on top. my buddy towed his tractor (35hp diesel kubota w/ loader) on a 16ft and never once had a problem of bottoming out the suspension.

and yes much better fuel millage in the new silverados with the 6spd trans. I've herd a few guys getting 20-22mpg on the highway even with a leveling kit on them.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby camarine » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:38 am

I have the smaller engine Toyota and it will work for your business/duck boat. It pulls my boat just fine.
camarine
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:18 am

2500hdon37s wrote:and yes much better fuel millage in the new silverados with the 6spd trans. I've herd a few guys getting 20-22mpg on the highway even with a leveling kit on them.

I do notice that the front end is lower, or maybe it's just that the rear is higher on the Chevy...either way the front looks too low...
What's the deal with that?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:24 am

Tubdra hands down, wouldn't piss in the rain for a GM product. Resale there is no comparison, quality is no comparison either.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:31 am

Jarbo03 wrote:Tubdra hands down, wouldn't piss in the rain for a GM product. Resale there is no comparison, quality is no comparison either.

^^^this^^^
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:40 am

Jarbo03 wrote:Tubdra hands down, wouldn't piss in the rain for a GM product. Resale there is no comparison, quality is no comparison either.

I heard the same thing about the Tundra (but remember that was from the sales guy)...he also said another thing when I asked about the Chevy rebates....
he said "what does it tell you about their sticker price when they can rebate $8k right off the bat?".....
I guess he was implying that GM has a higher profit margin built in?

In the end, I do like the Chevy and it is a lot cheaper with the rebates. Still undecided...
I don't need any extreme towing ability and I will go on the beach at most...no real back woods "off roading"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby terenceb » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:47 pm

I drive a Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed (6ft bed) and the tow package is enough for my fishing boat and duck boat (tow capacity is 6300 lbs). Not sure if you tow things heavier than that, or how much space you want/ need, but that works great for me and has been a great investment. I can't speak on behalf of the Tundra, but as far as the companies, I'd choose Toyota because I feel it is of much better quality and will last longer than the Chevy (granted all the computers in cars now days, I think a lot of them will run into issues sooner than the old models). Had a 1984 Toyota Pickup that lasted until 2010 with 235,000+ miles on it (only reason it's gone is cuz I wrecked it) and the 1992 Chevy Silverado we had (so many problems w/ that car) couldnt compare to the Toyota.

Jarbo03 got it right with the resale value too, Toyota hold's it's value very well.
terenceb
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:04 pm

chevy!
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:53 am

For me, the decision is as simple as USA and Japan.
mudpack
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:38 pm

mudpack wrote:For me, the decision is as simple as USA and Japan.

It's not that simple though, I'd be willing to bet that as much of the Tundra, if not more is assembled in the USA. That's talking strictly build location though, the big difference is that the profits on the Tundra go to Japan, the profits on the Chevy go to Mr. Obama.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Well wait till u hear this...
I'm going for the silverado. $39k down to $37.5 sticker....with $8k off in rebates...I am trading in my f250 and my Subaru forester which bring it down to $10k to finance at 1.9% with the tax as a down payment. Which puts a payment at $193 per month.....
Really.?.?
D o n e

Thanks for ur advice....pics to follow
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum