chevy 1500HD

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

chevy 1500HD

Postby Sir Remington » Mon May 27, 2013 7:30 pm

I'm thinking about buying a 1500hd might be time too say goodbye to the 95' and wondered if anybody out there has one and could tell me MPG, ride comfort, how tall the vehicle sits, I've read blue prints that say they are 6.5" but I've seen some that are a little shorter than me(6.3"). Also what is the best year, engine reliability, anything else you think is important to know.
Sir Remington
hunter

Re: chevy 1500HD

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue May 28, 2013 7:32 pm

03+ plus that doesnt have rusted rockers (if you live a little north and farther) would be what I look for.

they come standard with the 6.0L motor (I have one in my 2500) gas millage isnt great (12-14 city for a stock truck) but very reliable as long as maintenance is kept up. pulls strong and mine has been great for me. Should be more than enough head room for you and they ride fairly well for a light duty 3/4ton truck.

not sure on how tall a stock one sits, but my 2500 sits at a tick over 7'6" :lol3: I wouldnt be worried about height, the shorter ones you've seen are probably 2wd trucks, a 4wd sits a bit taller.

but honestly I'd look into a 2500hd with the duramax. the engine will last a bit longer (my dad has over 310,000 miles on his duramax) and almost double the fuel millage. (dad pulls 19-21 on the highway, my brother pulls 22 with tuning and aftermarket turbo on his duramax) I get 11mpg on the highway with my 6.0L, 4.88 gears, supercharger, and 37in tires. the duramax also has more power and is better suited for towing if you're concerned.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby whisperin' duck » Wed May 29, 2013 12:36 am

Yea, rust would be a big concern. A buddy of mine bought a 1500hd new in 03 and is still driving it and working out of it everyday. Keep it maintained n do your regular fixes for the age of a truck n you'll be as good as you can be, in a Chevy.
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sir Remington » Wed May 29, 2013 10:20 pm

I live in Ely, MN so rust is a issue, my K1500 runs great just is not quite as snappy and powerful as she use to be, I would love a duramax but cant afford a diesel at the time, I've heard the 6.0L is built like a brick crap house and 1500hd is supposed to get slightly better mileage than the 2500, I just want something newer that I wont have to drop a bunch of money on for repairs. and be in the same ball park for mileage as a 5.7 TBI.
Sir Remington
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Thu May 30, 2013 2:15 pm

Sir Remington wrote:I live in Ely, MN so rust is a issue, my K1500 runs great just is not quite as snappy and powerful as she use to be, I would love a duramax but cant afford a diesel at the time, I've heard the 6.0L is built like a brick crap house and 1500hd is supposed to get slightly better mileage than the 2500, I just want something newer that I wont have to drop a bunch of money on for repairs. and be in the same ball park for mileage as a 5.7 TBI.

1500hd probably won't get better mpg than a 2500 stock.
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu May 30, 2013 2:21 pm

I have a 2001 1500HD with 120,000 on it. I can squeeze 14-16mpg out of it, not great but typical. Very smooth riding with the balls of a moose, 6.0 although I don't really womp on it much. I'm in the northeast with lots of salted roads in winter. Don't sneeze on my bumper, it could fall apart. Not sure on the years covered for recalls, but I had an issue with speed sensors in the hub units. If they get corroded your brakes can be useless under 10mph.I replaced one whole hub unit recently for a few hundred. Mine has the full 4 door cab and rides very smooth. I'm not much of a truck expert but I love this truck.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu May 30, 2013 2:36 pm

Aside from the rear bumper issue, she's in great shape for an 01
1500hd.jpg
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Sir Remington » Thu May 30, 2013 2:55 pm

Nice lookin truck, I cant decide on the year I like 02 or 06 I have heard of a few issues, might be worth it to get 2500hd, i'm not sure
Sir Remington
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu May 30, 2013 4:10 pm

Sir Remington wrote:Nice lookin truck, I cant decide on the year I like 02 or 06 I have heard of a few issues, might be worth it to get 2500hd, i'm not sure

buy the best/ newest you can comfortably afford IMO

you can get the 6.0L in any 1500hd, 2500, 2500hd, and 3500hd truck so you just have to find one.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby whisperin' duck » Thu May 30, 2013 8:32 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
Sir Remington wrote:Nice lookin truck, I cant decide on the year I like 02 or 06 I have heard of a few issues, might be worth it to get 2500hd, i'm not sure

buy the best/ newest you can comfortably afford IMO

you can get the 6.0L in any 1500hd, 2500, 2500hd, and 3500hd truck so you just have to find one.

Or step on up to a FORD!
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cONG » Thu May 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Diesel is hard to beat in mpg with how much you can tow. But than again it cost more to fix, gas, cold weather starting, but you have better mpg, chip faster, last longer, can make your own fuel. It hard to find a good diesel with low miles that is worth the money. You just don't know how the truck been drive them or had a accident. I was looking at the 07 just because that's the last year gmc did not put on DEF fluid. Witch they say you only have to fill up 1 time a year with is crap but you can take it off your truck if you spend the money. witch would be worth it.
But all the 6.0 gas truck I seen driving around everyone has good luck with them. I like the 5.4 better
cONG
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri May 31, 2013 10:05 am

cONG wrote:Diesel is hard to beat in mpg with how much you can tow. But than again it cost more to fix, gas, cold weather starting, but you have better mpg, chip faster, last longer, can make your own fuel. It hard to find a good diesel with low miles that is worth the money. You just don't know how the truck been drive them or had a accident. I was looking at the 07 just because that's the last year gmc did not put on DEF fluid. Witch they say you only have to fill up 1 time a year with is crap but you can take it off your truck if you spend the money. witch would be worth it.
But all the 6.0 gas truck I seen driving around everyone has good luck with them. I like the 5.4 better

GM didnt put DEF on thier trucks until 2011, and you have to fill it up about every 4-5,000 miles. and chip faster? uh what????

and the GM 6.0L is a better motor than the ford 5.4L by a long shot IMO. yes the 5.4l is a good motor if taken care of can last a long time but there is the 3 threads that hold the spark plugs in and have been known to strip. much harder to work on, just as bad fuel millage as the 6.0L, and lacks some power compared to the GM 5.3 and 6.0l.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Mike Benjamin » Fri May 31, 2013 10:38 am

I have a 03 1500hd crew cab, and I get like 12.5 average... its been a good truck yo me...my gushed cluster is on the fritz, and prolly need a new fuel pressure regulator, but other than that its been good!

Im looking to put a programmer in it to try n get a little better mpg. The denalli and cadalacs all used the 6.0 and got closer to the 20mpg mark, so the motor is capable of getting it. I think a more open exhaust will help it breathes little too. My girlfriends dad swears he got 18+ with his 2500 with a programmer and dual exhaust.

Im kinda looking at getting a diesel for the mileage and longevity. Lots of ford 6.0l diesel trucks to be found, but I don't wanna buy the truck an have to replace injectors right away which seems to be their biggest problem. Drove one to a contest pulling a 20'spread enclosed n it had lots of power...just leafy about the injector problems and the cold starting being I live in MN
Mike Benjamin
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri May 31, 2013 12:46 pm

Mike Benjamin wrote:I have a 03 1500hd crew cab, and I get like 12.5 average... its been a good truck yo me...my gushed cluster is on the fritz, and prolly need a new fuel pressure regulator, but other than that its been good!

Im looking to put a programmer in it to try n get a little better mpg. The denalli and cadalacs all used the 6.0 and got closer to the 20mpg mark, so the motor is capable of getting it. I think a more open exhaust will help it breathes little too. My girlfriends dad swears he got 18+ with his 2500 with a programmer and dual exhaust.

Im kinda looking at getting a diesel for the mileage and longevity. Lots of ford 6.0l diesel trucks to be found, but I don't wanna buy the truck an have to replace injectors right away which seems to be their biggest problem. Drove one to a contest pulling a 20'spread enclosed n it had lots of power...just leafy about the injector problems and the cold starting being I live in MN

By all means stay away from the 6.0, especially if you are not familiar with diesels. The only exception to that would be if you could find one that had the head gaskets & studs done and EGR cooler delete done, then they are fairly bulletproof. I can't see a programmer giving any significant gains on an otherwise stock gas truck, at least not enough to offset the $300 cost.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri May 31, 2013 3:18 pm

ajmorell wrote:I can't see a programmer giving any significant gains on an otherwise stock gas truck, at least not enough to offset the $300 cost.

your average hand held tuner....... nope not much they can do. BUT! the real tuning for a gas truck and best with your average bolt on mods is with a custom tune or a dyno tune. (also about $250) I have herd great things about Nelson and Wheatly tunes, then experienced a Black bear performance tune. much more noticeable than a handheld tuner.

also a Black bear tuned 5.3L silverado with LT headers/ full exhaust, intake, and 33in tires can almost hang with my truck and I've got a Vortech sv-2 supercharger on a 6.0L and 4.88 gears to turn the 37s.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum