Limited Slips

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Limited Slips

Postby mudpack » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:56 pm

I want to put limited slip differentials front and rear, in my wife's old 1984 half ton Chevy/350ci 4x4, which I appropriated five years ago as my primary hunting vehicle.
The Detroit TRUETRAC units are looking good at this point.
Anyone have any advice?
Last edited by mudpack on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
mudpack
hunter

Re: Limted Slips

Postby ajmorell » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:05 pm

As far as limited slips go, the Tru Trac is as good as it gets.....gear driven and usually have better torque biasing than your standard friction style limited slip.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:19 pm

True Trac in the front , No-Spin in the rear.
Lost
PS: winches front and back, especially on the back.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:32 pm

tru trac would be the only limited I'd put in, if I wasnt going to do a full locker or spool.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:04 pm

For years, ie about 20 years I ran No-Spins front and rear in an International 1 ton pick up. Locking hubs were an absolute must but when the roads got icy you could put a tyre chain on one front wheel and unlock that hub and it would keep you going wherever you wanted to steer it, otherwise it would just spin all four on the ice and you would have no steering control.
Lost
PS: I still have that 1972 truck, 4 speed manual, 345 engine, winch on the back driven by a PTO on the transfer case, 4:88 axle ratio and 750-17 tyres. New truck Dodge 2500 4 door Cummins 6 spd standard No-Spin rear and free wheeling kit in the front end, 387,000 kms. Power steering pump controlled hydraulic winch that mounts either front or back.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Re: Limited Slips

Postby mudpack » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:00 am

Took the truck to the local differential expert yesterday for TRUETRACs. Hope it's back before dove season.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:38 am

mudpack wrote:Took the truck to the local differential expert yesterday for TRUETRACs. Hope it's back before dove season.

you should already have it back..... they guy that put the 4.88's in my truck took a day for each axle, and he was swampped with work.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:40 pm

Are you happy with the True-Tracs?
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:46 am

Tru trac gets my vote. Hop over to silveradosierra.com forum you could spend a week reading post on diffs.
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:35 pm

Got the truck back. When I saw that the bill was less than I anticipated, I asked about what he'd put in. Turns out he installed two Powertrax Lock Right units....not TrueTracs.
"Rich," I said, " I asked for Detroit TrueTracs!"
" Oh, these units are all we ever put in, have had excellent results from them." was all he could say.
"I specifically asked for TrueTracs when I asked for the original quote AND when I brought the truck in..."
Shoulder shrug.....

:mad:

What was I to do? I'll try the Lock Rights for this hunting season. :no: Let you know what I discover.
Last edited by mudpack on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Don't accept it, you specified tru tracs and you will accept no others. Tell him you are using his wifes vehicle until the job is done the way you wanted them to be done, no quarter.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:36 pm

lostknife4 wrote:Don't accept it, you specified tru tracs and you will accept no others. Tell him you are using his wifes vehicle until the job is done the way you wanted them to be done, no quarter.
Lost

Yeah, I agree. That's not acceptable in my book
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Windrider » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:49 pm

Trutrac's rock.

I've run them in my jeep for years.

As long as you aren't lifting tires they work like a charm. All yo urge ally need in mud.
Windrider
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:47 am

:sad: Dove season opens on Sunday, early teal season the following weekend. I need the truck. :no:
mudpack
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:22 pm

mudpack wrote::sad: Dove season opens on Sunday, early teal season the following weekend. I need the truck. :no:

Then use his truck or her car and use it like a truck, bummer really.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby rozzo842 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:55 pm

Lock rights use your stock carrier and replace the spider gears. They are a full locker and not a L/S. Your bill was not what you expected because he didn't need to set up the gears like he would have had to using the tru-trac. That bill better have been significantly less than the original quote or you got robbed. I can do a lock right in about two hours.
I wouldn't accept it.
rozzo842
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:02 am

Lock right's because of their design are limited in torque capacity due to the fact they use your stock 2 pinion one piece carrier and are a positve mechanical locking diff. So if you aren't hard on them they will be ok, the True Trac is neither a solid locker nor do they use the stock carrier and would be much more durable and will permit some slippage depending on the bias but would take more grunt abuse than the LR. The best of both worlds IMHO is a No-Spin.
Lost
Last edited by lostknife4 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:28 am

I just stick with the Detroit lockers in the rear which use the stock carried and can be installed in about an hour. even running 44's and big blocks I have never been able to break one. In the front a limited slip like truetrac or If I am going to drive it on the road a lot I go with the ARB air locker. I tried a locker and a limited slip in the front of my plow truck. not worth a damn on icy roads or off camber muddy hills. truck would rather go sideways than forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTXvH3T8Bsg
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:28 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:I just stick with the Detroit lockers in the rear which use the stock carried and can be installed in about an hour. even running 44's and big blocks I have never been able to break one. In the front a limited slip like truetrac or If I am going to drive it on the road a lot I go with the ARB air locker. I tried a locker and a limited slip in the front of my plow truck. not worth a damn on icy roads or off camber muddy hills. truck would rather go sideways than forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTXvH3T8Bsg

Sometimes it seems that the lockers get you in to more trouble than keep you out of it but I use them nevertheless. To counter that lack of directional stability with my No-Spin equipped front and rear differentials truck I would just leave one front locking hub unlocked. Detroit Lockers use the factory carriers but No-Spin's have their own carriers, essentially the same locker mechanism but one the carrier is supplied. If your carrier is of a 4 pinion 2 piece bolted design, which is considerably stronger than the 2 pinion style, then the Detroit Locker is fine, many of the larger trucks and skidders etc. use this style carrier.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:54 am

Detroit lockers replace the whole carrier, not sure what you guys are referring to
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:46 am

NO Detroit lockers do not replace the whole carrier. I have done no less than 50 of these and pull out the spider gears, drop in the Detroit locker and drop the original carried back in, never remove the ring gear from the carrier and if you mark everything properly when removed you do not even have to check the gear contact pattern. here is a youtube of a Detroit locker http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYBOoljH-qE

the biggest issue with the truetrac is that if one tire has no traction or is off the ground it will send ALL of the power to that tire and therefore is useless to me. a Detroit locker will power both tires even is one is elevated.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rozzo842 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:45 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:NO Detroit lockers do not replace the whole carrier. I have done no less than 50 of these and pull out the spider gears, drop in the Detroit locker and drop the original carried back in, never remove the ring gear from the carrier and if you mark everything properly when removed you do not even have to check the gear contact pattern. here is a youtube of a Detroit locker http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYBOoljH-qE

the biggest issue with the truetrac is that if one tire has no traction or is off the ground it will send ALL of the power to that tire and therefore is useless to me. a Detroit locker will power both tires even is one is elevated.

I most applications it will replace the entire carrier. I believe its only the 14 bolt and 2.5 ton applications that they replace spider gears. Dana 60,44,30 and Toyota applications all are full case replacements.
rozzo842
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:54 am

Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:58 am

I don't mess with the small stuff. Just know the ones I have done were like the ones shown in the video.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:13 pm

You had me curious because I have done a lot of these and always used the original case. here is from the manual. notice how it says MOST fit INTO the case.

Most NoSPIN/Detroit Locker differentials are designed to fit directly into the standard differential support case in the vehicle. Where it is not possible to fit the standard support case manufactured by the vehicle/axle maker, the NoSPIN differential is supplied with a case manufactured by Tractech. Therefore, two sets of installation instructions are provided.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Vehicle forum