Limited Slips

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Re: Limited Slips

Postby ajmorell » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:02 pm

I'll assure that most true Detroit Lockers are full-case lockers that replace the carrier, and it doesn't necessarily have to do with the size of the axle, the Dana 70 and Dana 80 Detroits are both full case
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:11 pm

I have only replaced them in HD GM axles as that is what I run in the mud trucks and on the road. Glad I have not had to mess with the full carrier versions as I do not like dealing with dragging out all the set up tools.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:44 pm

ajmorell wrote:I'll assure that most true Detroit Lockers are full-case lockers that replace the carrier, and it doesn't necessarily have to do with the size of the axle, the Dana 70 and Dana 80 Detroits are both full case

My Dana 70 is a 4 pinion diff, 2 piece carrier, 4 bolts, and I just dumped out the stock parts and replaced them with the locker and bolted it back up again. The No-Spin Model is a KS-29. If I remember correctly and if you had a limited slip carrier then to put in a No_Spin required a new carrier. This is in an IHC 1300 series 1 ton with FA52 4:88 axle ratio front axle. The KS-15 Model is used in the RA-15 and 20 which is a Timkin or Eaton axle. The first No-Spin I ever saw, many years ago, and I still have it, was out of an International 6x6 Army truck rear rear axle, 1945 Model Year. The parts book called it a Thornton Self Locking Differential.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:44 pm

Yes, the bill was less than quoted.

We had 13" of snow 10 days ago. I had to pull a dually UPS truck free after he got stuck in front of my house. The Lock Rights certainly did their job; all four wheels digging and churning. They are also a lot quieter in operation than I had anticipated. All in all, I am happy with them SO far.
mudpack
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:19 am

When they lock there is no relative parts movement and should make no noise at all, same as when unlocked they revert to a standard diff however the No-Spin is constantly automatically adjusting itself to drive the slowest wheel and you will may hear a clicking sound, when heavily loaded and you switch directions it may "load up" and when it switches from one axle to the other sometimes you will hear a loud bang and feel an associated vibration with the switch over from axle to axle when under load, this is prominently heard in 3 ton truck single axle fairly heavily loaded. The method I use to counter that wind up is to just hit the clutch momentarily or in the case of an auto transmission back of on the fuel quickly to release the driving torque on the drive shaft and that will allow one differential dog to unlock and the other side, the slowest, to dog in when driving on a curved road.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:51 am

The Lock Right Owners Manual says (on page 9) that the unit will "produce a uniform "click-click-click" than can sometimes be heard during turning. This clicking is completely normal."

Page 10 says the unit has about 25 degrees of free driveshaft rotation (backlash) that "may produce a "clunk" in the driveline when getting on and off the gas that is perfectly normal. This noise is more prevalent with stick shift vehicles....."

I've heard the "clunk" once (even though mine is an automatic)...but no "clicks". (the manual also said cold weather can diminish the noise...and it is cold here.)

The No-Spin and the Lock Right are very similar units, based on the same mechanical principles, from what I see in the exploded views of each.
Last edited by mudpack on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:57 am

I stand corrected on the clicking! I admit my experience has been with the No-Spin in Skidders , Payloaders and 3/4 to tandem trucks. Otherwise with True Tracs from Audi's to pick ups and I have read a bit about the others but not any operators manuals on these other units and I assumed the Lock Rite was an on-off type of locker, my mistake.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Previous

Return to Vehicle forum