ebreak stuck

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

ebreak stuck

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:45 am

well went to check lakes buddy push my ebrake on my 99 f150 that I don't use and now its froze up and the drums wont release. and cant get the drum apart. and .I was forced to drive a ways. but anybody have any ideas besides bangin on to realse it.
hillbilly..
hunter

Re: ebreak stuck

Postby mudpack » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:56 am

First, check the release mechanism at the foot pedal.
Then, determine if it is the cable(s) or the mechanism at the drum(s)/caliper(s) that are frozen.....by checking cable tautness when "released".
You'll have to get under the truck, probably, and start wiggling things.....and take a squirt can of Kroil with you.

I wouldn't drive it that way if you want to avoid brake wear.
mudpack
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Driving with it stuck probably didn't help. You're probably going to have to replace the drums and the e-brake shoes once you figure out and fix what caused them to lock up. If it were me I'd beat the drums off with a BFH....you've likely already ruined the drums and shoes so if you beat the drum up it doesn't matter much.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:27 pm

well I took it in because I was told not to hit the drums hard. they got a bfh and they came right off and the shoes fell out hit the ground and broke. theres a little piston in there that's leakin and they said the drums were good. so that save me a woopin 80$ then they lookd at the front and I gota replace the top and bottom ball joints on both sides and then an idler arm and then the front breaks and calapers need to replaced. so now I gota about a 700$ shop bill comin.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:48 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:well I took it in because I was told not to hit the drums hard. they got a bfh and they came right off and the shoes fell out hit the ground and broke. theres a little piston in there that's leakin and they said the drums were good. so that save me a woopin 80$ then they lookd at the front and I gota replace the top and bottom ball joints on both sides and then an idler arm and then the front breaks and calapers need to replaced. so now I gota about a 700$ shop bill comin.

What about the e brake being stuck? I don't see e brake cables or rear hardware on that list.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:16 pm

All that other stuff was on top of the rear breaks the shoes hard wear and that little piston are being replace. And ill have to ask about the cable its self. Other wise ill just unhook it onece its fixd
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:07 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:All that other stuff was on top of the rear breaks the shoes hard wear and that little piston are being replace. And ill have to ask about the cable its self. Other wise ill just unhook it onece its fixd

I was just wondering, the e brake cables on the ford trucks are notorious for seizing up. :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum