Recommendations for topper

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Recommendations for topper

Postby don novicki » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:58 pm

Just got a new 2013 Silverado, and need to put a topper on the thing. What does everyone like? I am looking at the Ranch line of products which are fairly reasonably priced. Any input on any brand would be appreciated. My last topper was a Leer and the I had problems with the rear window all the time. Let me know what you think........
don novicki
hunter

Re: Recommendations for topper

Postby whisperin' duck » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Camper, cap, hard, soft, more details on what you want would help.
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:52 am

I assume you are talking about a camper shell. I've got an ARE on my truck I like it even though it's the entry level one. I think Leer has some pretty good offerings too. Really depends what your budget is and what options you want. I picked mine up used, but if I bought new I'd get one that was felt lined and that had an LED light in the back.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:56 pm

I was actually just coming on to ask about the Ranch brand. I spent most of my morning at work calling various dealers for fiberglass toppers. I called the closest ARE dealer (60 miles) and he wants to sell me a Ranch Sierra topper. I told him what I was looking for and he claims its the best bang for the buck out there. He also says he'll sell me an ARE if thats what I want, but he thinks I'd be better ordering on of these. http://www.ranchfiberglass.com/sierra I am going to look at the floor model while up there having my Line X bedliner put in.

I also talked to dealers for Jason, Leer, ATC, and one other that I can't remember right now. Whatever I get will have windoors thats for damn sure. My last topper I bought used (guy had just traded it in) and it had all the bells and whistles. It left with the truck when I sold it.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:32 pm

I like leer personally, it's the one and only cap I have used and it is only on during the winter so we can keep rock salt dry. I will say its tough as nails, it took a real beating last winter.
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Another vote for Leer. They are quality made and I believe the paint is warranted for life. I have had 2 on different trucks, no problems ever.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:03 am

Its funny how different things can be, because my leer leaked like a ****. I owned a Jason that was alright, but it was plain jane. My Unicover was the best, but they don't have that style anymore. These Ranch brand have lifetime warranty on paint and structual components. I may have to order one and be the guinea pig on here. I really want an ARE, when I get to the dealer I may have to price both of them.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:44 pm

I examined the Ranch really well, and ended up ordering at ARE CX series with windoors.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:15 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:I examined the Ranch really well, and ended up ordering at ARE CX series with windoors.

If I'm not mistaken leer owns are and they're made in the sane factory.
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:04 pm

Got my ARE put on today
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby LakeVillaDucks » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:13 am

Looks great!
LakeVillaDucks
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:04 am

LakeVillaDucks wrote:Looks great!

Yes, it does.

Didn't I see that truck at Cheyenne Bottoms during the teal season?? :huh: Yeah, I think you were the guys shooting off the 3A/3B dike 15 minutes early................... :lol3:

JK
mudpack
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum