Diff locker?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Diff locker?

Postby macdaddy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:54 pm

Ford tells me that I have a locker on the rear axle of my F250. Is this a true diff locker? Or is this another upgrade that I will have to make? Got to put one in the front eventually; rear too?
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Re: Diff locker?

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:58 pm

most likely a limited slip. only trucks that I know that have a real diff lock are Hummer H2's and some toyota's as an option. every other truck either has some sort of limited slip or an open diff.

and personally a limited slip is fine most of the time if it works correctly.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Windrider » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:01 pm

Probably limited slip. Limited slips are fine unless you lift a tire off the ground.

True lockers are a bit hard on the drive train. A limited slips gives a bit of cushion.

Other than the Power Wagon, I'm not aware of any full lockers in 3/4 & 1 ton trucks.
Windrider
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Windrider wrote:Probably limited slip. Limited slips are fine unless you lift a tire off the ground.

True lockers are a bit hard on the drive train. A limited slips gives a bit of cushion.

Other than the Power Wagon, I'm not aware of any full lockers in 3/4 & 1 ton trucks.

not only hard on the drive train, but tires too, a full spool or locked rearend will chirp the tires around a corner unless its a "lunch box" or ratchet type locker.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby macdaddy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:25 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
Windrider wrote:Probably limited slip. Limited slips are fine unless you lift a tire off the ground.

not only hard on the drive train, but tires too, a full spool or locked rearend will chirp the tires around a corner unless its a "lunch box" or ratchet type locker.

Whose lockers are the ratchet type?
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:06 am

Detroit lockers are ratcheting type as are most lunchbox lockers. My truck has an e-locker and I know that it's an option ford made available at least on f150s. Pretty sure that Toyota has it as an available option also
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Detroit tru-trac units use helical gears instead of a ratchet type system so they are a lot quieter than a ratchet type when cornering. Around here a few people that have messed with their diffs. have them and love them. I'll be installing one soon to be paired with my 4.88's :yes:

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:26 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:Detroit tru-trac units use helical gears instead of a ratchet type system so they are a lot quieter than a ratchet type when cornering. Around here a few people that have messed with their diffs. have them and love them. I'll be installing one soon to be paired with my 4.88's :yes:

Detroit lockers and tru tracs aren't the same thing. The tru trac won't fully lock up like the standard Detroit will, both are quite manageable and quiet on the street
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Windrider » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:12 pm

I've got true tracks in both ends of both jeeps. Mud is the problem when I'm hunting.

Detroit true tracks are very well mannered on the street.

Detroit lockers have never struck me as all that well mannered. I'd rather have an ARB or an E-locker if I was going to go fully locked. That way I could control when the locking occurred.
Windrider
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:24 am

Windrider wrote:I've got true tracks in both ends of both jeeps. Mud is the problem when I'm hunting.

Detroit true tracks are very well mannered on the street.

Detroit lockers have never struck me as all that well mannered. I'd rather have an ARB or an E-locker if I was going to go fully locked. That way I could control when the locking occurred.

It's all about throttle control although I admit that short wheelbase vehicles like jeeps can get squirrelly quick. I agree that a selectable is better but they are almost always more expensive too
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:27 pm

Welded haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:29 am

I have a lockrite which works like a detroit locker. It works great and pretty cheap. I hardly notice the clicking noise unless I'm lisening for it when I go around a turn and it disengages. I'd imagine the op's ford is a limited slip which is good on the street and better than a open diff but on a icy ramp or something slick like that it will dissappoint more than likely. If you have the money the selectable lockers like e lockers and arb air lockers are the best just expensive.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:04 pm

handyandy wrote:I have a lockrite which works like a detroit locker. It works great and pretty cheap. I hardly notice the clicking noise unless I'm lisening for it when I go around a turn and it disengages. I'd imagine the op's ford is a limited slip which is good on the street and better than a open diff but on a icy ramp or something slick like that it will dissappoint more than likely. If you have the money the selectable lockers like e lockers and arb air lockers are the best just expensive.

air lockers are a real pain and not worth the cost unless you already have an on board air compressor and tank.

Wish I had on board air, then I would get an air locker. Lock it when needed for traction and fun, then unlocked for normal daily driving. I'm planning on a tru-trac after new wheels and tires.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby mudpack » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:49 am

macdaddy wrote:Ford tells me that I have a locker on the rear axle of my F250. Is this a true diff locker?

Probably not a true locker, but a limited slip. If the limited slip unit is working correctly, it will serve you well...even if one wheel is in the air. I have limited slips on both ends of my Jeep (Vari-Locs) and I can jack one wheel off the ground and the one wheel on the ground gets enough power to drive right off the jack.

As far as replacing the open diff on the front of your Ford, you will only gain about 25% increased traction over what you have now(open front, limited slip rear). Is it worth the money?

wetgoldenretriever wrote:Welded haha
That is such a bad idea that it shouldn't even have been mentioned.....even as a joke. :no:
mudpack
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum