Tire Chains

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Tire Chains

Postby Dukplukr » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:14 am

Looking for some help here. I drive a 2whl drive Chevy 1500. ( I know, what the hell was I thinking?) anyway, field hunting, especially pulling a small trailer with goose decoys I've managed to get stuck twice in a soft field. I'm thinking of investing in a set of chains for the rear wheels. Anyone do this? if so how did/does that work for you. Oh and yeah, this is my first post on this forum, usually I just spout off on the Il. duck hunting forum, So HI!
Dukplukr
hunter

Re: Tire Chains

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:45 pm

well.... what kind of tires do you currently have?

a fair mud terrain tire can take you a hell of a lot more places than any highway tire. width of an MT also helps from sinking in too deep in fields. all though I think tire chains could help you a good amount, but I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle of putting them on every time you go hunting and then take them off to go home. maybe keep them and some other traction aids available along with outfitting the truck with a good set of mud terrains or at least all terrain tires if it doesnt already have them. or pick up a set to use during hunting seasons and winter?
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Dukplukr » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:03 am

Right now I am running P255/70R16 109S Mud & Snow. I may just go ahead and get a set of chains and yeah it will probably be a pain in the ... to put on but I will probably only due this if the fiel appears to be soft. With the cold we have been having here in No. IL. the fields I hunt should be firm enough for now, just planning on later or if we get a warm up. Thanks
Dukplukr
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:46 am

Many years ago before I went to 4x4"s I tried snow chains on a 2 wd ford Truck i had on a muddy dirt road. I still got stuck. It really didn't help. If you have limited slip I think it would help. Without 4wd or limited slip you have 1 wheel drive and mud tires or chains you are going to get stuck. Save your $$$ and get a 4x4, you will never go back to 2wd
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby Windrider » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:20 pm

California Sprig wrote: Save your $$$ and get a 4x4, you will never go back to 2wd

Good advice and a very true statement.

Have a lunchbox style locker or limited slip installed in your rear diff would help a bunch right now. You would at least have two tires pushining instead of the one tire with the least traction.
Windrider
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:34 pm

It's a slippery slope. I never have had a 2wd and never will. But now I'm spending money on lifts and tires and winch bumpers and diff lockers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:36 am

Trade that 2wd Chevy in on a 4wd Toyota and then go anywhere you want!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:14 am

Mike the Fox wrote:Trade that 2wd Chevy in on a 4wd Toyota and then go anywhere you want!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Or trade it in for an f150 and have a tuck that will last more than ten years

wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:41 pm

If it doesnt rust out...
Rhock19
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:54 am

I think a locker and a good set of tires will help you out more than chains will
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Dukplukr » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks guys for all the advice, appreciate it. Going to check into how much having a limited slip differential installed will cost and go from there. Until then I will just have to keep buying lottery tickets and and hope for the best. Be safe and good hunting to you all!
Dukplukr
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Dukplukr wrote:Thanks guys for all the advice, appreciate it. Going to check into how much having a limited slip differential installed will cost and go from there. Until then I will just have to keep buying lottery tickets and and hope for the best. Be safe and good hunting to you all!

~$500 + install labor
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:04 pm

Road manners won't be as great but a lunchbox locker would be cheaper to buy and install
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby handyandy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:40 am

Limited slips I have found are usually just dissappointing. Go with a actual locker lockrites are pretty cheap and work well. Have never had a issue with the ones I have. Locker plus chains you will go places and normal 4x4 that hasn't been modded will. I have chains as well they have saved me on icy boat ramps they are good to have. You only have to buy them once not like you'll wear them out with the little amount use they get. And don't go with a ford the 5.4 is a gas guzzling terd. The 5.3 chevy's are good engines I've seen plenty with around 300k miles and for v8 half ton trucks they do pretty good on gas. And don't go the mid/small size truck route you'll regret it cause they don't do much better on gas than half tons but when you put a real load behind them they are terds.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Dukplukr » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks handyandy, appreciate the info. Sounds like good advice.
Dukplukr
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:57 am

handyandy wrote:Limited slips I have found are usually just dissappointing. Go with a actual locker lockrites are pretty cheap and work well. Have never had a issue with the ones I have. Locker plus chains you will go places and normal 4x4 that hasn't been modded will. I have chains as well they have saved me on icy boat ramps they are good to have. You only have to buy them once not like you'll wear them out with the little amount use they get. And don't go with a ford the 5.4 is a gas guzzling terd. The 5.3 chevy's are good engines I've seen plenty with around 300k miles and for v8 half ton trucks they do pretty good on gas. And don't go the mid/small size truck route you'll regret it cause they don't do much better on gas than half tons but when you put a real load behind them they are terds.

Some of this I agree with and some not. The 5.4 is thirsty but the 09-10 coupled to the 6 speed are a lot more tolerable. The mileage from a mid sized Tacoma or Frontier will average around 18, that's what my 10 ccsb Frontier gets on average. For the average guy they will tow anything you hook to them just fine. I've had about 3500# behind my frontier and it was hardly noticeable. A v6 making 280 ft-lb in a 4500# truck gives it plenty of power, it's about on par with most of the smaller v8s. The place I really notice the difference is in the width. A mid sized truck is a whole lot more nimble, especially off the pavement
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:50 pm

ajmorell wrote:
handyandy wrote:Limited slips I have found are usually just dissappointing. Go with a actual locker lockrites are pretty cheap and work well. Have never had a issue with the ones I have. Locker plus chains you will go places and normal 4x4 that hasn't been modded will. I have chains as well they have saved me on icy boat ramps they are good to have. You only have to buy them once not like you'll wear them out with the little amount use they get. And don't go with a ford the 5.4 is a gas guzzling terd. The 5.3 chevy's are good engines I've seen plenty with around 300k miles and for v8 half ton trucks they do pretty good on gas. And don't go the mid/small size truck route you'll regret it cause they don't do much better on gas than half tons but when you put a real load behind them they are terds.

Some of this I agree with and some not. The 5.4 is thirsty but the 09-10 coupled to the 6 speed are a lot more tolerable. The mileage from a mid sized Tacoma or Frontier will average around 18, that's what my 10 ccsb Frontier gets on average. For the average guy they will tow anything you hook to them just fine. I've had about 3500# behind my frontier and it was hardly noticeable. A v6 making 280 ft-lb in a 4500# truck gives it plenty of power, it's about on par with most of the smaller v8s. The place I really notice the difference is in the width. A mid sized truck is a whole lot more nimble, especially off the pavement

If I were getting a new gas truck it would be either a 5.0 f150 or an Eco boost f150. I don't mean to sound biased but the farm I work for owns about 35-40 trucks and the fords really do just hold up the best in my opinion. I love that driving those Chevys with 5.3 in them, but 3 of them have come in the shop with broken cams.

wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:09 pm

wetgoldenretriever wrote:
ajmorell wrote:

If I were getting a new gas truck it would be either a 5.0 f150 or an Eco boost f150. I don't mean to sound biased but the farm I work for owns about 35-40 trucks and the fords really do just hold up the best in my opinion. I love that driving those Chevys with 5.3 in them, but 3 of them have come in the shop with broken cams.

I feel the same way. I am really happy with my frontier, but if there were a legitimate domestic competitor in the mid sized truck market, especially a ford I'd own that instead.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
Dukplukr wrote:Thanks guys for all the advice, appreciate it. Going to check into how much having a limited slip differential installed will cost and go from there. Until then I will just have to keep buying lottery tickets and and hope for the best. Be safe and good hunting to you all!

~$500 + install labor

I just had Lock Rights installed in front and rear of my Chevy. The bill for parts and labor was $1120. While the Lock Right was not my first choice (Truetrac was my first choice, and they ARE $425 just for the unit), they have proven to be very effective.

On subject: chains, while very effective in snow/ice, are just not that effective in mud.
Best solution for your 2x4 pickup is a limited slip diff and very aggressive tires....and driver caution. :yes:
mudpack
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:34 am

Chains make a world of difference on snow and ice but not a lot in the mud. In the mud one key is to be able to spin the tires fast enough to keep the tread clean and unloaded and this is not the best thing to do with chains installed. A locker and better tires will help and some weight over the rear axle can not hurt but I have given up on 2 wheel drive trucks. You are trying to push the front tires thru the mud and they may or may not want to roll if they get into a rut. That is already working against you plus most of your trucks weight is over the front tires. Now if you were pushing 1200hp and could just blast thru the mud at speed then you would be just fine with 2wd.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum