Fuel Gauge Issues

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Fuel Gauge Issues

Postby Kiskadinna » Fri May 04, 2007 9:12 pm

Heres a head scratcher (at least from where I stand) - I have a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT, 3.0 V6. Today it was sitting at a quarter tank of gas - My wife and i went to meet some friends, and when we left, got in, and started driving home. I noticed at some point that the gauge was now reading 3/4 of a tank. I figured I could right the situation by filling it up. Long story short I didnt FILL it, but put in about 10 gallons and went on our way. The gauge now read well past "F" so when we got home, I rocked the truck a bit figuring it was a float system - no change.
Went inside for a few minutes, came out and rocked it again, re-started and it was back to what I perceive as normal.
Has anyone seen this before and if so, what did I just see happen? Im mechanically minded enough that I wonder if there is an ability to recalibrate it, or if I can even expect this problem to show up again.
THoughts?
-Erik
Last edited by Kiskadinna on Mon May 07, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Fri May 04, 2007 9:36 pm

i have seen a similar problem on vehicles in my shop.

it is either a sticky flot or an electrical problems. a stocky float may fix itself. but if it is electrical it will need to be repaired.

usually it is a chaffed fuel level sending unit wire headed to the gauge cluster. if you can get under it and trace the wires coming from teh in-tank fuel pump, make sure theya re in good condition and not rubbing on anything.

ithe next time it does it, try to unplug the wiring harness goign to the fuel pump. with the wires undone the gauge cluster should go either all the way to F or all the way to E (cant remember which way it is wired right now). that can at least rule out a bad gauge.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri May 04, 2007 10:26 pm

Beat me to it FW.

Been seeing a bunch of level sensor (float) issues lately. That would require dropping the tank to replace it if that is your problem.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Sun May 06, 2007 12:18 pm

Well it did it another time or two. It seems to reset itself if I rock the truck a bit when it's off then start it up. I appreciate the advice, I buddy and I may try to drop it ourselves - he's done it a few times, me - never. Is it worth taking the time myself, or is it better to just have a shop do it - I do like saving money doing my own thing, but time is money too.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun May 06, 2007 7:47 pm

it is not a terrible job to do yourself if you plan ahead, have help,and the correct tools.

you should most definitely run most of the gas out of it, or pull the filler neck off to pump the tank. that will make it much easier to handle. if you are not comfortable runnign the gas out, you can pump it. some tanks (not sure of that vehicle) have a check valve in the filler neck of the tank that will not allow yout o pump it. in that case you jstu need a jack and a friend.

you will also need to make sure that you have the right fuel line disconnect tools to take the fuel lines off the tank. they shoudl be quick connect, a parts store or dealership may bae able to tell you teh exact type of disconnect tools to use.

if you do decide to drop it, here are a few tips:

1) relieve the fuel pressure on the system. many ways to do this. but the easiest is to pop the hood and find the schrader valve on the fuel rail. screw off the cap and press down ont eh valve, that will release the pressure on the system. you will spill gas ont eh engine, but by the time you are done removing the3 tank it w2ill evaporate.

2)check the topf of the tank for any vent or EVAP lines. sometimes these lines are hard plastic and have an aggravating squeeze type disconnect. they do nto require a tool to remove, but you have to squeeze them together to get them off. jsut look over the top fo the tank before you drop it to make sure you are not goign to break on.

3) IF yout ake the pump out to replace the sending unit, replace the o-rin on the pump. one that oring comes in contact with fuel it will swell. makign it really hard to get it to seal back. it is cheap insurance.

any problems shoot me a PM
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Wed May 09, 2007 7:43 pm

I thought that was just a FORD thang :huh:

Na easy fix, get you a float from the store, take the bed off about four bolts and you have direct access to the tank. Make sure you are carefull takeing the bed off, you'll need at least three people for that. Swap old for new and your back in bisness. :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu May 10, 2007 1:58 pm

Better yet, just leave the bed off all together. Kim will love it, and you'll fit right in!
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby xfps » Fri May 11, 2007 3:24 pm

Make sure the key is off when filling. Sometimes that will cause that type of problem.
xfps
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Fri May 11, 2007 3:52 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I just assumed not getting blown up was the best reason not to have the ignition on while fueling though.
-Erik :rofl:
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Sat May 12, 2007 12:25 am

Topping off after the pump kicks off is pretty bad for the float. That's not the only thing that can cause it, though. I see a lot of trucks that see off-road use (jarring around) have the same problem.

Oh yeah, LA, we have replaced 5 this week on GM vehicles (I counted today). It's a pretty small shop too...
bgoldhunter
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum