body lifts

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

body lifts

Postby wingshooter2009 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:31 am

does anyone have them? im thinking about geting one for my 1995 chevy blazer LS and was wondering if the ride would be worse or if i would run into tech problems.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby macdaddykeefer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:55 am

i have a 3" on my 92 s10 and hate it...it was the worse thing i've ever done to my truck...since i've put it on my truck eats cv axles...and it rides rough as crap...my advice would be save your money and get a suspension lift that keeps all the factory angles...
macdaddykeefer
hunter

Postby dixieduckslayer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:37 am

body lifts equal rough rides, i agree with macdaddy get a suspension lift, i have an independent suspension lift on my jeep and it is amazing
Dixie Duck Slayers....Kentucky's Elite Duck Hunting Team
dixieduckslayer
hunter

Postby wingshooter2009 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:41 am

well i also heard that u can take the springs off a silverado and fit them onto a blazer. has anyone else heard that before?
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby Shiner07 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:15 am

boonethelunkerlander wrote:body lifts equal rough rides, i agree with macdaddy get a suspension lift, i have an independent suspension lift on my jeep and it is amazing

:dito:
AAAAHHH JUST DON'T GET A BODY LIFT. Will regret forever. Spend the cash and get a suspension lift!
Shiner07
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:08 pm

macdaddykeefer wrote:i have a 3" on my 92 s10 and hate it...it was the worse thing i've ever done to my truck...since i've put it on my truck eats cv axles...and it rides rough as crap...my advice would be save your money and get a suspension lift that keeps all the factory angles...
a body lift doesnt directly change any of the factory steering angles. with the exception of cornering under speed due to body roll. the rough ride is normally due to the fact that the kits do not come with the rubber isolators. i have seen home made kits that used isolator to keep a fairly decent ride. i dont see how that body lift would make your vehicle go thru CV axles any quicker.

when it boils down to it a body lift is only good for looks. because with a 3 inch body lift you can only typically put tires under said vehicle that are onle 2-3 inches taller and not any wider. that means at best you are gaining 1.5 inches if ground clearance due to tire size, you still have the factory suspension articulation, and you are now more top heavy. all of that adds up to a rig that is not too good off road.

for the money you actually get more offroad capability for the $1000+ lift kits. you get all neccessary bracket and such to lift your truck a true 3-6 inches. that may only let you run tires that are3-4 inches taller than stock in some cases. that doesnt seem much better than a body lift until you realize that a suspention lift usually allows you to run wider tires. that lets you reduce you total ground pressure. that is a good thing offroad.

but in all reality, the best thing about a suspension lift is that you can get the newer springs and shocks (sometimes whole sway bars and traction bars) that allow your truck to handle ALMOST as good as stock with the new suspenion because it is designed to do so.

if you are wanting cheap with decent sized tires, get a body lift. if you want a good offroad right with the right tires and driving characteristics to handle it, save for a suspension lift.

my $.02
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:42 pm

Very well said fowl wishes. The body lift should deffinately not change anything about the ride. All you are doing is raising the body up off the frame. All of your suspension and cv axles retain their factory angles and positions.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby wingshooter2009 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:15 pm

yeah thanks Fowl. what about just a coil over?

wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:29 pm

coil-over?

do you mean a leveling kit? :huh:

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby wingshooter2009 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:27 am

no i mean just the springs. not the traction bar and all the othe components that come with a full suspinsion lift

wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:54 pm

since it is a 1995 blazer it is the s10 style blazer if i am nto mistakne. that means that it uses torsion bars in the front and leaf springs int eh rear. there is not sort of coil-over system for that system.

the cheapest suspension lift kit is a leveling kit.l it uses new torsion bar keys and a block in the rear. that gives you 1.5-2 inches at most i believe. any more lif thtan that requires a full IFS lift kit.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:11 am

And full IFS kits are high $$$.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:48 am

wingshooter2009 wrote:yeah thanks Fowl. what about just a coil over?

Adapting coil-overs to your application would be quite a task. I don't think I have ever seen a coil-over IFS vehicle
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby pooches_2 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:18 pm

I bought an '89 full-sized Bronco that came with a 3" body lift.

The only advantage I saw to it was that it gave me some extra tire clearance.

However, as for disadvantages:
Had to move the shifter linkage- otherwise it showed that I was in neutral when I was in drive;
Had to extend or relocate all of the lines that run from the body/tub/whathaveyou to the rolling chassis (fuel lines, brake lines, etc);
Had to move the gas filler neck;
Had to fabricate new brackets for the fan shroud (twice). The engine stayed in place (attached to the frame) but the radiator and shroud moved with the body;
Plus, unless you buy the filler kits, you're left with gaps all around the bottom of the body where it used to be attached to the frame.

I would save the dough and go with the suspsension lift
pooches_2
hunter

Postby tspowell » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:48 pm

Last edited by tspowell on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tspowell
hunter

body lift

Postby armallardbuster » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:36 am

I have a 1990 Ford Fullsize Bronco Eddie Bauer Edition, I went with a 4" suspension lift right outta the gate NO BODY LIFT!! Suspension lift is IMO easier than a body lift I had the rear end change out in 30 minutes, the front it took a few hours but no big deal. It is a daily driver and Ive had the lift on for almost 2 yrs now not a bit of problems. I run 35X12.50x 15 mud tires I drive round trip 85 miles a day to and from work, only bad thing is Gas mileage. The suspension lifts give more clearance than body and are over all better looking than the body to frame gaps on vehicles, maintance is a lot easier too. just my $.02
armallardbuster
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum