My Chevy HD Lemon

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

My Chevy HD Lemon

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:52 pm

I am seriously looking at Nissan fullsize trucks to replace my Silverado. Mine is a 2001 HD with the 8.1 / alison combo. At 9,000 miles the trans stopped shifting and they had to replace a wire harness, at 15,000 the check engine light came on and they could not find out why so they just kept resetting it until 24,000 miles when the engine went. They blamed it on a failed oil pump bypass valve spring. it was rebuilt and at 30,000 the check engine light came on again and they replaced the air flow sensor and both rear u-joints. Now at 41,000 the check engine light comes on and off, it backfires sometimes and the sparkplug wires and plugs were all replaced (plugs were special iridum? at $15.00 each) and the rear brakes have seized in the calipers and drag continously and have to be replaced. Now I just discovered, while checking out the brakes, that the master cly (which gets its working pressure from the power steering pump) is leaking around where the 2 pieces bolt together and it is not brake fluid. I was wondering where the PS fluid was going....other than that I am happy with the 14MPG that it gets if I do not go over 60mph.

My cousin has the twin to mine and his has been in the shop just as much with u-joint problems and from day one it burns 1.5qt of oil every 5000 miles and the dealer tells him that that is within spec for the 8.1 engine ( mine has never burnt a drop) thay have also replaced the intake gaskets and some other odds and ends on his truck. he gets about 10mpg. He traded in a Dodge due to it fouling plugs, a front suspension that had several issues and the front brakes would sometimes just lock up the right front when stopping and dealer could not correct the issue.

These are neither used for heavy towing just the duck boat and the atv.
:mad:
I do not trust the stability of Chrysler Corp at this time and know several employees that say that they see how much cost cutting and cheap parts go into the dodge that they would not even buy one. And from reading all the auto mags Ford does not rate all that good either. I am just tired of paying $30,000 + for a piece of S#*T.... :thumbsdown:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ducks4Coach » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:03 pm

Sounds to me like you haven't tried a good solution.
Chevy = many minor problems that turn into bigger problems
Dodge = huge problems with the trans
Ford = not many problems at all.

My old man has a 93 E150 van that turned over 208,000 and still runs like a charm. I have a 00 F150 that has 135,000 on it and have not had any major problems with it. Point is, that they are more reliable than the other two. Don't go with a foreign truck. when you have a problem with it, you will probably have to take it back to the specific dealer to get it fixed.
-Coach

Going for 50!
Ducks4Coach
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:54 am

I'll pass on the ford too. My Sisters father-in-law has the diesel and has replaced more parts on that then I can remember. also the front wheel bearings went out, one of the rear wheel bearings and at 120,000 the trans is now gone and he does not tow anything with it. and he does not get much better fuel economy than my gas engine does.

My dads 1994 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 has over 240,000 and it still runs great. it is used tow a 3 axle trailer with a small dozer and various tractors and due to that the trans was rebuilt at 190,000. his 1977 has well over 400,000 (the speedo has finally quit after rolling over 4 times) and it runs and drives great. has a flat bed and lots of rust but the engine / trans are all original.

I just got a bad one, but from what I am reading this happens more now than before....my 86 was fine, my 1991 had trans issues twice, my 1995 was fine and my 1998 was fine. but I needed an ext cab so I traded again and got this POS.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KCDuckMaster » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:40 pm

Sounds like you need a new mechanic. If a mechanic cant figure out why the check engine light is coming on, then hes got problems, because todays OBDII systems pretty much narrow it down fairly small. But I do agree with the lemon part because none of that should be happening with so little miles.

And like you said I would stay away from the Chrysler stuff..... it kinda funny that you mention them using cheap parts and cutting corners because today a dodge came in and complained that the brakes were pulsing, and that they just had the brakes done back in Feb. (6,000mi ago) She had the invoice from the dodge dealership where she took it and I looked and found that they charged her for and oil change, new pads and resurfacing the rotors, only one problem, the pads appeared to have about half their life left and the rotors had never been off the car. Now there are way to turn rotors with them still on the car. I knew that they had never been off because of these little disks that the assembly plant put over the lugs to hold the rotor on while it goes down the line. To get those off you have to break them off and you don't replace them with new ones. Another way I knew they hadn't been turned was from the amount of rust on the rotor and the lip from where the pads had worn on the rotor. (both should be completely gone if the rotors were turned only 6,000mi ago). So pretty much Dodge decided to give this lady a $171.00 oil change... but if they are going to charge you for new brakes and not do them then how do you know they changed the oil?
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:33 pm

Thats not dodges fault thats her stealerships fault.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby ncduckkiller » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:29 am

I have a F150 with 100,000 miles on it and the only reason that the check engine light has ever come on is because I have failed to change the oil at the recommended time. It runs great and the only thing that I have ever done to it is the usual services. Your problem sounds like it should be adressed to a lawyer and see if it falls under the lemon law, there is no way that I would want to have to rely on that truck if some kind of family emergency came up.
If you hunt WITH your kids now you won't hunt FOR your kids tomorrow.
ncduckkiller
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:32 am

well Now it is blowing the Crankshaft position sensor "high" code. They say that is could be the sensor, computer, or wiring that is causing this. aparenty changing the Air flow sensor corrected one of the codes. They also said that my fuel pump or the check valve in the fuel punp is bad. This is turning out to be a real POS. Yesterday I had to fight with it for about 10min to get it to start after driving it up to watch the fireworks. it would turn over great but would not fire.... and at only 41,000 miles it should still be running perfect. And yes I have taken it to a few different places to get it checked and they all say the same thing. "if it is a wire issue it could get VERY expensive. and the only way to tell for sure is to start swapping parts at my expense.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:33 am

P.S. the front main seal is leaking as is the rear trans seal.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:25 am

i may not knwo the whole situation, but there are VERY few problems in a modern car that cannot be trouble shot. some of the parts could be faulty. but it isnt impossible to troulbshoot your problems. sound slike you havent found a decent technician yet.

but any way you look at it, the truck has turned into a lemon on ya.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DoubleBayou » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:33 pm

Get you a RAM with a Cummins and then wonder why you've waited so long and messed with all the other mess.

Ducks4Coach - Sounds to me like you don't own a Dodge.
I own a 2003 PowerStroke (Been a really good truck) 80k
2004 Duraminimum (its a toy for a high school kid) 60k
2, 2004 Rams (they will walk all over anything) 1 auto, other 5spd
130k and 60K miles
07 Ram now too, auto.

I've had 3 previous powerstrokes, had to replace them each year. The GMC sits on the ranch idle cause it can't pull a loboy worth nothing.
My Dodges pull backhoes and a dozer all over East Texas.

I was a naysayer for years too.
Once you go Dodge and Cummins you forget all of the loyalty you thought you had.
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:18 pm

I just ordered a new Camshaft position sensor ($42.50), My Brother-in-law just purchased a snap-on scanner with all the modules. we scanned it and reset it again yesterday. if this sensor does not fix it the scanner says it could be a missing or faulty ground or the ignition module. one part at a time and eventually it will be good. the issue is that it is intermittent and acording to the scanner all sensors are functioning fine everytime I have it checked. It just has the same stored code that comes back. If I could get it to act up with the scanner attached It would be better. I may just hook up the scanner and my laptop and leave it in the truck for a few days of driving and see what happens at the poing that the check enging light comes on. On a BAD note I found out that this scanner was $3500 and it is about $1200 every 2 years for the updated modules / software. but it is nice that he has it now for his shop. I will know in about 3 days if this new sensor fixes it this time.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:47 pm

Those prices arent too bad for a scanner. we run a snap-on Modis in our shop. that things is over $7000 for the unit and $300 twice a year to update! but in this day and age, you dont have a choice. and none of hte the other scanners work too well in my opinion. most of them are just renamed OTC units.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Huntbuck » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:31 pm

Well, my cousin got it half right... I traded my dodge 1/2 ton with the 360 and 171,000 miles on it because it started to burn oil. It would hold fine and all of a sudden drop off the dipstick. Talked to a Chrysler mechanic (I work with Chrysler as a major customer as a automotive supplier) and was told to unload it as this is common for collapsing pistons in these engines.

I bought the 2002 HD 8.1 / Allison combo loaded. I had driven my cousins and really liked the truck, and you can pull a house with it. My new HD started burning oil after the first oil change. It has 3:73 gears and gets a consistant 10MPG no matter how you drive it. It has been to the dealership 5 times for the oil consumption and in the end the the dealership apologized and gave me a response direct from GM... The TSB(Technical service bulliten) stated that oil consumption of 1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable for this vehicle as it is a commercial engine.... BULL PUCKY!... POS... it burns 3 qts every 3000 miles, at this rate I never need to change oil, as long as I keep adding it is always fresh :sad: Lately every time I leave work and pick up my kids it won't start again for about 10 minutes.... if I run it longer it will restart ok, so it only occurs when I take short cold trips...What gives? It has 50,386 miles on it... Looking at the Dodge Ram again as I loved my old one, but not sold on it either....If I could talk wife into the cummins that might be ok too. The Fords seem to have good loyalty and decent reviews from the guys I work with...so that may be an option... and since my customers are FORD, DaimlerChrysler, Mazda, Landrover, and Volvo... Its down to either the Ford or Dodge...

Last edited by Huntbuck on Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still stumblin through the marsh, still griping about the work and effort, still looking forward to next trip out...

Duck Hunting... the only sport that allows grown men to crawl around in the mud and play in the rain...
Huntbuck
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:30 am

CPS is a pretty common item to replace on the 8.1. I sell a few a month, and the replacements seem better than the factory unit. Come to find out it is a different supplier than the original one.

Yes, GM's postition on the 8.1 is 1qt/1K miles is acceptable. We have had to deal with some irate customers over that...most ended up trading out of them. Some do, some don't but it seems a bit odd to me.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:47 am

it is interesting that Huntbuck has the oil burner , and I do not mean diesel, and mine has never used a drop. It has had Mobile one in it since new. the CPS should be here on Monday and I ill try that. I removed it last night and did a visual inspection. Put it back in and now it will not start at all. I planned to buy all new plug wires for it too but found that they were $135 for the OEM set. at 40,000 miles they should be fine. the plugs are new also and that did not help anything. One good thing is that I get better MPG than huntbuck and have 4:10 gears :tongue: If ford or Didge would sell me a truck for the same price I can get a GM I would probably trade it off. it is impossible to get the other dealers around here to even come close to the GM discount.

On a side note the first time Huntbuck drove mine I lost a few miles of tread as he pulled out of the drive. they do have a lot of get up and go when they run :mad:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: My Chevy HD Lemon

Postby ncduckkiller » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:01 am

waterfowlhunter wrote: At 9,000 miles the trans stopped shifting and they had to replace a wire harness, at 15,000 the check engine light came on. 24,000 miles when the engine went. it was rebuilt and at 30,000 the check engine light came on again and they replaced the air flow sensor and both rear u-joints. Now at 41,000 the check engine light comes on and off.

You would think that with that much problems that fast it would all come down to the lemon law, I don't know if it applies here but come on, that is a lot of stuff to go through within the first 41,000. I would consult the dealer a final time then go visit a lawyer. Just make sure that you have all the necessary paper work in hand to prove the problems that have taken place. No way I would put up with a vehicle like that .
If you hunt WITH your kids now you won't hunt FOR your kids tomorrow.
ncduckkiller
hunter

Postby Huntbuck » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:39 pm

I believe that the lemon law is restricted to independant issues that have been in for repair at least three times without resoulution, not multiple problems on the same vehicle. Although I think their may be a case with the right attorney. I also believe that is why GM issued the TSB on the oil consumption and then dropped the engine from their lineup. My truck runs pretty good and has been fairly reliable, other than the continual pouring of oil down the drain, and the 10MPG.

Right after I bought my truck I met a group of guys with dirt bikes trailered behind a HD... It had a manufacturers plate and the guy was dumping quart'S of oil in it at the pump. I ask what the deal was and he mentioned it was a pool vehicle, he also wished me luck with mine rather sarcastically. :huh: He said the engines were junk and the 6.0 was a better engine... GO FIGURE! Is there anybody else with one of these trucks with a GOOD report on it? Or are these problems the norm... :mad:
Still stumblin through the marsh, still griping about the work and effort, still looking forward to next trip out...

Duck Hunting... the only sport that allows grown men to crawl around in the mud and play in the rain...
Huntbuck
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:44 pm

Well I installed the new camshaft position sensor, and installed a NEW set of AC Delco OEM Plug wires. After driving it about 100 miles the check engine light went out (I still have to reset the codes yet) and the truck started running like new again. After 200 miles it is doing fine and the slight Miss I had at idle is gone. Also prior to the latest repairs, If you were to slow down quickly the RPM would drop to almost a stall and then pick back up. That issue is also gone now. I previously installed a set of Denso iridium (IT16 or 5325) Plugs gaped at .060 which is what the book calls for with these plugs. It seems to run better with the gap set to .050 rather than the .060. Has anyone used these $12 a piece plugs and are they worth the cost of this high tech iridium electrode?

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Huntbuck » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:41 pm

Ok, maybe I should keep my mouth shut next time.

Took the truck into the garage to scream and holler to get some warranty coverage at 51K miles. The Camshaft position sensor was compromised (if it rained, it quit) the brandy new alternator was fried AGAIN, and the rear rotors were shot, note that the fronts are still 80%.... Got some coverage on the alternator, but still cost me $600+ to get it fixed so I could take my son to MAYO Clinic. What a piece of S#!*. I looked at a toyota today, might have to take the jump... Also looked at at new Jeep 4 door wrangler... and a Diesel Grand Cherokee. Not sure what I am going after yet, but as I am looking to change jobs, and getting 10 miles per gallon limits my opportunities a bit....

Chevy is not on the list :mad:

Huntbuck
hunter

Postby flocknockerpa » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:13 pm

Damn I thought I had a piss and moan rampage when my 2007 Silverado came back from the dealer with greasy finger prints on my bug shield and hood and some kind of spray cleaner all over the bumper and grille. I took it back and had the salesman clean it up, if its gonna get dirty getting a damn oil change I might as well have my 4 and 3 yr old do it.........
flocknockerpa
hunter

Postby DoubleBayou » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:26 am

Dodge ain't bad at all. Big misconceptions about that. Everybody has lemons. ask a 6.0 Powerstroke owner.

As for Dodge's tranny problems its not a problem its different. They shift totally different from other vehicles. But they don't just go out like folks are led to believe.

I don't drive gas vehicles so I'm speaking all about diesel power.
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:40 am

The info I get about dodge trans probelms is from a Trans shop my brother-in-law worked for and the owner is a family friend. He says that chrysler keeps him in business and that about 80+% of his work is chrysler automatics. My cousin had his grand cherokee go out at about 75,000 I believe and his dodge truck also started going so he traded it in.

I know that there are good and bad in all of them so I try to buy something with the lease issues. That lately seems to be Toyota and Nissan

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:44 am

DoubleBayou wrote:Dodge ain't bad at all. Big misconceptions about that. Everybody has lemons. ask a 6.0 Powerstroke owner.

As for Dodge's tranny problems its not a problem its different. They shift totally different from other vehicles. But they don't just go out like folks are led to believe.

I don't drive gas vehicles so I'm speaking all about diesel power.

Dodge's do have more transmission problems than Fords and Chevys..it's not a myth it's the truth.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby DoubleBayou » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:47 am

Says who though? a Chevy guy? a Ford Guy? Ask a Dodge guy what they want to drive. Oh, wait you are asking one.

I own an 03 Powerstroke and 3 Dodges. My family ranch has 5 Dodge dually's, that's 8 in total (now only 3 of those are Auto's).

We've owned a slew of Chevy's too back in the 90's.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a chevy/ford tranny, likewise I am saying there is nothing wrong with the Dodge tranny either.
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:48 pm

There ARE problems with Dodge tranmission. There is no disputing that. BUT the new ones are no worse than any other manufacturer.

The tranmission that made the Dodge truck have a really bad name was the torqueflite 727 in teh trucks. Those autos just could not hold up to heavy use. But the newer truck trannys are fine. People just tend to keep a bad taste in their mouth because of a predictable problem.

The same could be said for a 700r4 in the first two years in a chevy truck. They flat out sucked. Some swear by them and some swear AT them. But they ironed out the major problems and then went with the 4L60s that have had problems with the reverse planetary and clutch band.

The big thing that makes people think bad about the Dodge tranmission are the cars. Specifially the medium to full size cars with the 3.3 and the 3.5 engine. This is a Longitudinal engine that is FWD. Pain in the but to work on and they are not too strong due to the design.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Vehicle forum