My Chevy HD Lemon

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, ajmorell, KCDuckMaster

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:51 pm

Most of the ones I know about are the Caravans, Grand Cherokees and dodge trucks with autos (seldom hear of a std trans failing). Even in the recent years. but they have definately improved them considerably in the last couple of years. My dads GM 4L60E finally gave way last year after 180,000 miles and a lot of towing a 3-axle trailer with small dozer and tractors. It is only a 1/2 ton and was overloaded many times but the drivetrain lasted a good long time. His 77 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 350THM has over 400,000 on the original engine / trans and it hauled a lot until it was retired to the farm due to rust. It now hauls hay wagons and smokes a bit but is still reliable even with the rust holes and wooden flat bed. we also have a 1949 flathead ford dump truck that is now farm use only but I do not think the body will outlast the engine.

I personally like the styling of the dodge trucks over any of them and the cummings engines are proven but the dodge dealers will not come close to the deal I can get on a GM with the employee discount, Even the local toyota dealer says that they will match the gm discount but I am planning on a diesel this time (home brewed biofuel baby). We will see who gives me the best trade in and price on a new one in August of 09 (wife finishes school and becomes an RN) right now surviving on one income when we are used to 2 is NO FUN :no:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Huntbuck » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:23 pm

Sad Chevy Day....

On my way to work on Monday I kicked it hard to get out onto the highway, not something I normally do. At any rate the lights went dim, the truck coughed and barked, when I let off the gas the lights came back up.... Interesting... so I did it again and watched the voltage meter drop to about 2 volts. This will be the 4th alternator in the last 8 months and second battery. It has to go in anyway since the right side power window motor is smoked(third one) and it is prone to stalling in the morning... Other notworthy complaint is the miliage already bad at 10mpg has dropped to around 7.5 mpg since replacing the CAM SHAFT POSITION SENSOR as measured today driving mostly highway miles. Since taking a new job 40 miles away, the truck has to go. I can not afford to put my paycheck in the gas tank and the dealers pocket for repairs... Note my truck just hit 54,000 miles and still smells new... WHAT A POS.... Looking at something with better miliage.... at my current miliage, the Toyota pickup would be a huge improvement, but not keen on timing BELTS... looked at the NISSAN but not totally impressed. Looking at smaller SUVs, maybe an arcadia.... Who Knows... Would like to get out of GM, but that employee discount is nice...

Nice looking truck, wish it ran well.
Still stumblin through the marsh, still griping about the work and effort, still looking forward to next trip out...

Duck Hunting... the only sport that allows grown men to crawl around in the mud and play in the rain...
Huntbuck
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:28 am

yup i'm getting me a brand new yota, good trucks as long as you perform the regular needed maintenance and have it tuned up about twice a yr. my cuz'n has one that has 300,000mi on it.
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09
account suspended for advertising/promo

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby Huntbuck » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:52 pm

The HD is gone. Picked up a used Yukon LOADED for Cheap... Lets hope it is not off the same GM Lemon tree the HD came off.

Time will tell..

Could not justify the cost of a new Tundra... But they are sure nice...
Still stumblin through the marsh, still griping about the work and effort, still looking forward to next trip out...

Duck Hunting... the only sport that allows grown men to crawl around in the mud and play in the rain...
Huntbuck
hunter

Previous

Return to Vehicle forum