Coil Spring Spacer....anyone heard of them?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Coil Spring Spacer....anyone heard of them?

Postby wingshooter2009 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:28 pm

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:37 pm

what are they going on? they seem to be"cut to fit".

IMHO i would not use them. 2-3 inches is a lot of suspension lift to still be using all factory suspension and steering parts. that much lift will effect some of your suspension/steering geometry. which means that in the long run it is a cheap lift, but you will have to buy parts as they wear out faster.

it is basically the equivelant to the old coil spring inserts. except those stupid things actually went in between the coils and stopped the spring from collapsing. they would give a higer ride height, at the cost of ride quality. at least this kit allows for the spring to gu thru its range.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:29 pm

Those are some kinda cheap homeade junk. They do sell coil spacers but they are two inches most of the time. Anything over that and as fowl said youll run into problems. Those also say they weld to the chassis :huh: The ones on my truck slip in on top of the coil over between the cup and the spring.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:33 pm

the ones that are normally sold are usually called "leveling kits" and are normally 1-2 inches max. and SOMETIMES they come with smal rear blocks. but nothing as far as 3 inches.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby wingshooter2009 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:53 pm

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:21 pm

Add-a-leafs aren't bad, but ride will suffer. Blocks are the last alternative, but NEVER use them on the front. I've had enough spit blocks that I avoid them. Coil spring spacers are not worth the money. Leveling kits aren't that bad, though, and acceptable for looks/bigger tires/mild off-roading.

You can find some low-buck suspension lifts that may not be the best, but better than what you are looking at.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:50 pm

ok **** ****, since talking to you i have been doign some thinking. You have a 1995 Blazer. Which means you have independent front suspension (IFS). as i told you, that means you do not have conventional "springs" in the front suspension. the rear suspension is still leag springs and shackle combo.

That makes the rear very easy to work with. you can get a complete leaf spring, or use an add-a-leaf to lift your current leaf spring. that would give you 2-3 inches in the rear.

For the front you would need to get a set of torsion bar keys. you COULD bottom out the stock torsion bar keys, but you would have a TERRIBLE ride due to the suspension being under a bind. you would also wear out ball joints due to the excessive pressure.

the aftermarket keys have their own draw back. most of the kits do not come with a drop pitman arm. this means that you will also be putting all of yoru steering components in a strain.

the other option is to do a true IFS lift kit. but this is well over $1100 for that setup. i get the picture that is out of your budget.

your cheapest way out to get 2-3 inches of lift would be to get a small drop pitman arm, torsion bar keys, and an add-a-leaf.

my $.02

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby wingshooter2009 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:09 am

cool stuff, thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

wingshooter2009
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum