Straight piped diesel

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Straight piped diesel

Postby gsphunter » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:48 pm

Anybody run a straight piped D-max or heard one up close. I'm looking at a 4 inch turbo back set up. I want my turbo to spool a little faster, because it's got quite a bit of turbo lag. I've also heard some reports of increased MPG's with the bigger pipe and no restriction.

Any opinons on the sound they produce?
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:00 pm

a buddy of mine here in NC has a duramax running in the 10s in the quarter (when the transmission isnt broke) and he rung a straight pip with a single 9 inch stack otu the exhaust. that wont really comapre to a full exhaust to your bumper. but i think it sounds terrible. the aftermarket exhausts with the 4-6 inch tubing sounds much better.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:50 pm

My dodge is 4' from the factory. I cut the muffler out so theres nothing there but the cat. I think it sounds perfect. its not too loud, from my standpoint but can be when you get in it. I have heard some with the cat out also and I think its too much, mainly when towing. I tow with mine and with the muffler out theres no drone but with both its annoying.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

pipes

Postby sea duck » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:14 pm

If you go straight pipe go way out back with the exit, becase at highway speeds and towing any exit close to the cab can get loud. I put 5" stack's on my dodge straight pipe. Even with the windows up. It can get a littil loud. A friend put the jeg's 5" kit on it's not bad.
sea duck
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 am

Thanks for the replies.

In '01, the LB7 Duramax's didn't come with cats, so there is only a muffler now. The factory plumbing is 3.5", so the 4" straight would open it up a bit.

I know the Cummins sound sweet with straight pipes. I have 3 buddies with 12 valves, and they are all straight piped.

My concern is that the D-max will sound crappy with the injection sequence they have to keep them quiet.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby 919QuackerStacker » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:56 am

A friend of mine has an f-350 they cut the cat off of it and put an open muffler on i think it is a 4 inch pipe sounds good you can really hear that turbo now once it gets goin is more of a deep sound.... sounds kinda like a dump truck lol
shoot first ask questions later
919QuackerStacker
hunter

Postby FIREMAN » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:13 am

The only one that I have heard loike that didn't sound very good. It almost sounded like an old farm tractor that was on its last leg. But hopefully yours will sound better than that. Good luck.
FIREMAN
hunter

Postby spankustang » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:24 am

I straight piped my old 04' duramax and it sounded great on the outside. BUT, it was way to loud on the inside. There was a constant droning that would hurt your ears if you drove for a long time!!!
spankustang
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:00 pm

Put what you want on the outside and dynomat the inside and be done with it. Its a bit pricey but works.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:26 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yqPWcQh3uK8

Doesn't sound too bad to me.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum