H1 ?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, ajmorell, KCDuckMaster

H1 ?

Postby jehler » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:52 pm

I was tossin around the idea of pickin up an older, beat up hum-v h1 as a project for my son and I, he's 9, that gives us 7 years to work on it before he's 16. any of you guys owned one, or worked on them? any thing they are known for that i need to look out for? any year to stay away from? if anyone knows of an h1 owners forum i'd like to know also. Thanks, John
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby wingshooter2009 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:21 pm

i know that they get like 9 miles per gallon :lol:
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:08 pm

unless youa re naturally rich., i wouldnt mess with it. they are VERY expensive to get parts for. and some of the parts can only be purchased second hand from H1 salvage companies.

the wheels can get pricey. the gear reduction hubs are expensive. and the engine is NOT known for gas mileage to say the least.

it is literally built like a tank. but the old salvage H1s are usually broken somehow. i would suggest making sure that the one you buy is in good condition. and getting A LOT of technical info and pictures. not too many experts out there.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:00 am

nope, not rich and after doing some more research i am starting to agree, i want to buy a project vehicle that my son like's that we can work on together, give him the oppotunity to work on it, buy the parts and earn a vehichle that is kick ass. maybe we will do a jeep or an old porche or something instead. i tallied up a budget to restore an h1 and i think we could buy a new jeep and turn it into a real rock climber for that kind of money. any other ideas, share'em
jehler

Postby fowl_wishes » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:30 am

what sort of vehicles are you wantign to build with him? a off road beast, a touring speed demon, a flashy show car?
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:44 pm

we are definately not show car people we like to use what we build, we are just looking for something cool. i have built a jeep before, 77 cj-5, 360 v8 3 spd manual fiberglass body. re did it from the frame up, was a real hoot to drive but i think a little to dangerous for a kid. built a 1980 blazer also, lots of fun chevy's are so easy. we will just keep our eyes open for a deal. i'll let yoiu know when we find something, put up a post
jehler

Postby birdman07 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:50 pm

just a thought but they make a h1 body that fits on a 2500 suburbon chassi. saw that build up on spikes extreme 4x4...one awesome build with realitivly low cost. plus, you get chevy that you can get cheap parts for, but looks like an h1. best of both worlds...check into it...and good luck..
birdman07
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:27 pm

birdman07 wrote:just a thought but they make a h1 body that fits on a 2500 suburbon chassi. saw that build up on spikes extreme 4x4...one awesome build with realitivly low cost. plus, you get chevy that you can get cheap parts for, but looks like an h1. best of both worlds...check into it...and good luck..

I saw that too, it was pretty neat. Jeeps are dime a dozen, but they are a blast....I wouldn't trade my Jeep for anything. If you decide to build a Jeep consider possibly building something a little different like an XJ (Cherokee), ZJ or WJ (Grand Cherokee).
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby ugly ford » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:48 pm

if you hunt around on the net you can find web sites that sell cheap or auction off old military hummers. and for those that wrote in later think about it guys everything the military owns is made by THE CHEAPEST BIDDER. the parts are not hard to find and not really all that expensive for a unstopable all time four wheel drive. if you get one make sure to look at the four door with the truck box nice looking hummer. also my buddy bought a auction offed hummer for a grand, motor was toast he had a 390 and c-6 tranny from his old ford he had to redo the motor mounts and tranny mounts and get new drive shafts cut but for a couple of weekends worth of work he had the most unstopable four wheeler i have ever seen :thumbsup: :evilbanana:
if you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in english thank a veteran.

MIA POW YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTIN

there is nothing more deadly then a MARINE and his rifle!
ugly ford
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum