jeep

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

jeep

Postby BERKLY » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:41 pm

I am looking at a 1995 jeep wrangler. It looks like brand new and the owner just put a new lift on it and rims/tires. It has 76000 miles and runs like a top. He is the original owner and has kept excelent care of it. One of the cleanest used jeeps I have ever seen. I booked it and even in excelent condition with all the upgrades it only comes in at 7000 and he is firm at 8500. What do you guys think I could sure use some advice. :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:
BERKLY
hunter

Postby ncduckkiller » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:38 pm

It sounds like he is trying to get the book value plus the upgrades that he has put into it. One of the bad things about selling a vehicle is the owner knows how much has been put into the vehicle but doesn't realize how that equates to the value. i.e put a 1500 dollar lift on a vehicle and think that will bring the value up on the vehicle by at least 1500. Just doesn't work that way. I had a 1978 Trans-Am that I bought for 7,000 and put over 2,000 in the interior and when I got ready to sell it, noone would touch it for what I had in it. Ended up selling it for 7500. lost a couple of thousand in the deal but people are only going to pay what they think it is worth. It comes down to a personal decision on your part. If you like the vehicle enough to pay over the book value then by all means do what you see is right. Or you can continue to shop around and hope a better deal with just as good of a vehicle comes around. It is a gamble either way. Maybe you can get him to come down a little on his price if you explain what it is worth in your eyes and maybe agree to split the difference between book and his firm price. Not all the time is firm really firm.
If you hunt WITH your kids now you won't hunt FOR your kids tomorrow.
ncduckkiller
hunter

Postby blindretrieve » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:00 pm

Pull out $6500.00 in $100.00 bills and tell him to take it or leave it. Act like it will not bother you one way or another. I have bought 2 vehicles like this, and it works. Especially if you spread them out over the hood! :lol: Try it...What will it hurt?
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby BERKLY » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:57 pm

I dont think this guy really needs the money after he told me the stories about all his exotic game hunts that he has been on this year alone. Good Idea, but I am afraid If I lay that on the hood He might get mad because it could scratch his paint. I think this thing has only been down to the local starbucks :thumbsdown: to get him his saturday morning coffee. Thanks for the good advice though and yeah that has worked for me to. :thumbsup:
BERKLY
hunter

Postby BigBend » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:19 am

i had a 93 lifted cherokee,american racing rims,brushguard,kc lights, exhaust,etc. it was clean too. BUT it had 230k miles on it watched em drive it off for 2k lost some bucks on that one. he is waiting for an idiot to come along and give him 8500
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:46 am

It is a pretty common misconception that upgrades like a lift and tires add value, when in fact they actually add nothing or decrease the resale value. A lot of people are willing to pay more for a vehicle they know has not been touched or abused. For some reason, YJs seem to hold their value well and if that particular on is in mint condition, $8500 might not be that much of a stretch.
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum