Chevy

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Chevy

Postby BERKLY » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:31 pm

I have a 2003 chev extended cab 4x4 and it has the famous steering wheel clunk. I took it in when it was under warenty and they greaseed it. It went away but as soon as the waranty expired it came back. :thumbsdown: It has been told to me that the reason it does this is because the steering rod bushing is right by the exaust manifolds and when it gets hot the grease melts away. Is this correct. I believe it is called an intermidiate steering shaft. Could I drill and tap it with a grease zerk and put a hi temp grease in. :help: If so has anyone had this problem and how did you fix it THANKS
BERKLY
hunter

h

Postby bochmann1 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:06 pm

no the reason its doin it is because its a chevy lol

oh yea and to fix it buy a real truck a ford
Custom made calls at bochmannscustomcalls.com
bochmann1
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:36 pm

The reason it clunks is that it is a faulty design. The fix is a newly designed intermediate steering shaft, released a few months ago. Since you had documented problems with it in the past, you may get your dealer to goodwill the warranty repair if you aren't too far out. Otherwise, it is gonna cost you...list price is $95 if your dealer isn't running a price matrix.

DO NOT attempt to modify it in any way. The explanation you were given is pure BS, and is not the reason they clunk. The clunking is just noise, and it is not a sign that is gonna fail.

Had an 03 HD that I had greased twice and shaft replaced once (with the old design shaft) before I traded it with 8K miles on the clock.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Re: h

Postby Remington1187 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:55 pm

bochmann1 wrote:no the reason its doin it is because its a chevy lol

oh yea and to fix it buy a real truck a ford
:lol: :dito:
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby hunter121390 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:51 am

my 91 blazer is having some problem like that. when i have it in gear, theres a tick or whatever in the steering column. it does this whenever it is in gear. i don't know what it is or whatever. im not having any problems driving it, it just gets annoying after awhile. it does it every like 5-10 seconds.
If it flies it dies
Take em'
"My guns will be pulled out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking, and a pile of empty magazines and brass at my feet. "
"kill em' all, let God sort em out."
hunter121390
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:50 pm

hunter, when you say a tick, do you mean like the blinker tick? Because in my dads car the 'clicker' for the blinker would freak out on occasion in be very annoying. It was only like a $5 fix
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby hunter121390 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:23 am

no its like a tick/clunk. its coming from down in the steering column.it just seemed like more of a tick then a clunk to me.
If it flies it dies
Take em'
"My guns will be pulled out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking, and a pile of empty magazines and brass at my feet. "
hunter121390
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:56 pm

its the intermediate steering shaft. it cost around $100 for the part. I had to replace mine twice....there is a new style of shaft now that isn't suppose to knock.

Good luck :thumbsup:
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby hunter121390 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:09 pm

thanks. right now i dont have the money for that. i guess ill just stick it out until it gets too bad.
If it flies it dies
Take em'
hunter121390
hunter

Postby hondarancher » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:55 pm

got a new shaft put in mine(the new design) a few months ago and it tightened up my steering and fixed the clunk.its just a piss poor design on gm's behalf. i had not realized how much slack my stearing wheel had gotten
Dakota Decoy Field Staff
CUTDOWN CREW
hondarancher
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum