CLUTCH ISSUE

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, ajmorell, KCDuckMaster

CLUTCH ISSUE

Postby ncduckkiller » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:33 am

Got a couple of clutch questions for you gearheads, vehicle is a F150 5 speed with 4.2 V-6 Just rolled 100,000

1. When I am driving it around town, 45-50 MPH in 4th gear, when I let off the gas you can feel the truck kicking, it feels almost like the clutch is disengaging but still in gear and when i get back on the gas it kicks again. Not powerful kicks but it is noticable. (I believe it is the fact that I am in to high of a gear for the speed). Just want to ask if ya experiece this at all.

2. I have about 2 in. of play in my clutch when I push it in before I feel restistance. Is it normal or unusual wear on the clutch? (I ride the clutch which I know is a bad habit but I rest my left foot on the clutch out of habit and am thinking that this has caused some kind of wear on the clutch pedal and has nothing to do with the clutch)

Please keep in mind that all my trucks have been traded in before these problems arose and now that I actually have this one paid off and plan on keeping it for a while, I am starting to try to figure these things out. I am in no way a gearhead, gas and oil and go.
If you hunt WITH your kids now you won't hunt FOR your kids tomorrow.
ncduckkiller
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:19 am

The kicking is probably jsut becasue you are in too high of a gear when you let off the gas and then try to accelerate. those truck can be a littl "bucky" to drive due to the lack of torque in teh 4.2L. is it accompanied by any spark knocking from the engine?

is the clutch the original clutch? the 2 inches of play seems a little much, but it differes from truck to truck due to the variances in the hydraulic slave cylinders and master cylinders. "riding the clutch" really isnt a good idea tho. they hydraulic system isa little more sensitice to pressure than the old linkage type systems.

if you are riding the cluth while you are experiencing the "bucking" you were mentioning, it could be your clutch slipping. but then you should be able to smeel the hot clutch material. kind of like brakes burning up.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ncduckkiller » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:56 pm

fowl_wishes wrote:The kicking is probably jsut becasue you are in too high of a gear when you let off the gas and then try to accelerate. those truck can be a littl "bucky" to drive due to the lack of torque in teh 4.2L. is it accompanied by any spark knocking from the engine?

is the clutch the original clutch? the 2 inches of play seems a little much, but it differes from truck to truck due to the variances in the hydraulic slave cylinders and master cylinders. "riding the clutch" really isnt a good idea tho. they hydraulic system isa little more sensitice to pressure than the old linkage type systems.

if you are riding the cluth while you are experiencing the "bucking" you were mentioning, it could be your clutch slipping. but then you should be able to smeel the hot clutch material. kind of like brakes burning up.

I tend to agree with your first assesment of the situation, It is the original clutch and I believe the reason for the play is the fact that I ride it, but once again it is a habit that is hard to break, I catch myself doing it and of course stop but a few minutes later I catch myself doing it again. Not riding the clutch when the bucking occurs so I tend to want to go with the torque answer. I know that eventually I will be replacing the clutch. Just wandering if anything that I am noticing is something that is going to make it happen faster.
If you hunt WITH your kids now you won't hunt FOR your kids tomorrow.
ncduckkiller
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum