jeep wrangler

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

jeep wrangler

Postby wingshooter2009 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:54 pm

how are they in a pratical use? i know what they can do off road but didnt know how they were on road.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby dixieduckslayer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:32 am

if you are wanting something for gas mileage keep looking, but if you are wanting something fun to drive, awesome off-road, and just to become a member of the FAMOUS, JEEP-WAVERS, get one....my main vehicle is a 98' wrangler with a 3.5 in supsension lift, and 33's sure it is not the greatest on fuel, but its fun to drive, and i love it, ..... plus they are not near as dangerous as they used to be, they have lowered the body and have made the stance much wider
Dixie Duck Slayers....Kentucky's Elite Duck Hunting Team
dixieduckslayer
hunter

Postby wingshooter2009 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:28 pm

whats the MPG?
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby pooches_2 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:30 pm

I had a '95 Wrangler: 4 cyl with 31x9.50s. I put 105K miles on it and averaged about 17 mpg.

It was a fun around town driver, but I hated taking it on long trips. The ride was kinda bouncy and it was underpowered. We used to say it was a great "there" vehicle, but a crappy "getting there" vehicle...

The newer ones have a much smoother ride (coil vs leaf spring) and with a 6 cyl there's more than enough power there.

If you have a family - space is tight. The back seat is there simply for decoration if you ask me. Until my son was born, I drove mine for four years with no back seat at all.

I deer hunted out of mine for several seasons and it never once let me down. I've had 4 jeeps ('87 Grand Wagoneer, '97 Grand Cherokee, '91 Cherokee Sport, and my Wrangler). Even with the bouncy drive and limited space, I'd take the Wrangler over them all.

Wish I never sold it...
pooches_2
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:35 am

Look into getting an LJ (Unlimited) model that has the stretched wheelbase id you are concerned with cargo room. The 97+ models also have a much nicer ride because they are coil sprung. If you want the ultimate spend the cash on a Rubicon and you get D44s front and rear with factory air lockers. Even with coil springs though, they still aren't a comfortable vehicle to take on long trips...they just don't ride the same as a vehicle with a longer wheelbase and independent front suspension. If you are just looking for something that will get you out into the woods, don't overlook the XJ (Cherokee) or ZJ/WJ (Grand Cherokee). They are both as capable as the Wrangler and ride better on the street.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby dixieduckslayer » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:06 pm

i just put 35's procomp xterrian on my wrangler....4 cly... and yes it is underpowered but not as much as you would think, i am getting ready to put some 4:10 gears in it, thats should fix my "underpowered" problem....i would not chose it first to drive cross country...but it would get there, plus they are fun to drive
dixieduckslayer
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:21 pm

boonethelunkerlander wrote:i just put 35's procomp xterrian on my wrangler....4 cly... and yes it is underpowered but not as much as you would think, i am getting ready to put some 4:10 gears in it, thats should fix my "underpowered" problem....i would not chose it first to drive cross country...but it would get there, plus they are fun to drive

With that combination you should be going with at least 4.56 gears, probably 4.88s. I will be running 4.56 gears with 33s and the 4.0
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:29 pm

I agree that a 4.56 gear set shoudl be a MINIMUM for a 4 cyl w/ 35s. The only saving grace w/ 4.10 would be a manual transmission. Since 1st gear ont eh manuals is steeper than on the autos. however, a lower final drive ratio would make it a lot easier on a clutch. So it is a toss up.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:23 pm

fowl_wishes wrote:I agree that a 4.56 gear set shoudl be a MINIMUM for a 4 cyl w/ 35s. The only saving grace w/ 4.10 would be a manual transmission. Since 1st gear ont eh manuals is steeper than on the autos. however, a lower final drive ratio would make it a lot easier on a clutch. So it is a toss up.

Most of the 4 cyl manual tranmissions came factory with 4.10 gears though, so there would be no improvement over stock. 4.56s are the minimum I would go if you want to ever use top gear.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby dixieduckslayer » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:49 pm

well that is defently some food for though, it is a 5 speed, but once i get some money i will go deeper into research, thanks alot though
dixieduckslayer
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:27 am

I had a 2.7 4 cyl. Toyota with 36s and 4.56 or 66 gears and it did great unless you were pulling in hills.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby wingshooter2009 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:04 pm

i think what im gonna get as a basic is a 97-2006 wrangler 4cyl. im thinking about puting on a 2-4 in lift with 32x10 "almost" street :lol: tires. more than likly do a few things to the engine and gears. i dont do much long driving but do pull alot of trailers but i think i would do ok as far as gas, towing, and the classic jeep look!

GO TOPLESS!!! :thumbsup:

wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:07 pm

The 4-cyl is a waste of your time. There is basically no 'bolt-on' power adders unless you go big with something like a turbo. Gears can help correct the issue but I can guarantee you will be pissed you got the 4-cyl instead of the 6 after the fact. I'm still a little pissed I didn't get a v8 ZJ when I was looking.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby wingshooter2009 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:10 pm

is there that much a differrence in the 4 and 6 as far as gas?

wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:49 pm

No, especially if you plan on putting a lift on it and bigger tires. You might be able to get away with not regearing for a little while if you have the 6 (unless you plan on running bigger than 33s) but if you have the 4 you will almost have to regear to even think about seeing highway speed.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby wingshooter2009 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:56 pm

ok cool! thanks bud! you were a big help!

wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby dixieduckslayer » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:47 am

**** **** im an running a stock 2.5 liter 4 cyl. with stock gears and 35 in procomp xterian's and i can get up to about 65, it is not the most peppy thing in the world, but you have cruise at highway speeds no problem, i drive 35 miles a day on a 4 lane to school at about 60 mph
dixieduckslayer
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:47 pm

boonethelunkerlander wrote:**** **** im an running a stock 2.5 liter 4 cyl. with stock gears and 35 in procomp xterian's and i can get up to about 65, it is not the most peppy thing in the world, but you have cruise at highway speeds no problem, i drive 35 miles a day on a 4 lane to school at about 60 mph

Yeah so what happens when you want to get up to 70mph on the highway? I bet you can't use fifth gear either can you?
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum