Question about Jeep Grand Cherokee

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Question about Jeep Grand Cherokee

Postby NWiowaCutinGreen » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:39 pm

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I have a question about the air conditioner. Just recently, (within a week ago) the air conditioner would for some reason just shut off on its own. I can tell that there is still cold air within the vents because you can feel some of the air slowly come out. But it seems to me if just the van shuts off. The weird part is that air will be on for 5 mins or so, and then the vans stop, then within another 5 mins or so the vans kick back on. I don't know a whole lot about cars, so I figured I would ask some of you guys that do know. I didn't want to take it in to get looked at if it were a simple fix. Any of your guys input or advice is highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cronk
"I'm just a young prick that lives in the hills that owns too many guns" -- Shooter
NWiowaCutinGreen
hunter

Postby doogie494 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:08 am

sounds as if the fan has a loose connection or is taking a dump
Doug

Postby KCDuckMaster » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:10 pm

Well how about this.. Does every blower speed work? If so, its your blower motor resistor, but I'm not thinking thats the problem because usually if its that the blower motor will continually run, just you wont be able to change the speeds.

What I would be leaning more towards is that it could be is your A/C evaporator is freezing up . What you can try is instead of when you start to get cold, don't turn down the blower speed, instead turn up the temp. (make it hotter), because whats i think is happening is your running your blower to slow and the condensation is freezing on the evaporator and literally blocking the flow of air. If you turn up the temp, the fan will be able to blow the condensation off before it freezes but the air coming out wont be so cold that it freezes you.

Then most likely if that works your probably just a little bit low on refrigerant since you said that this is a new problem. So take it in and have some one charge it. Don't try and charge it yourself with those little cans.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum