dash question

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, ajmorell, KCDuckMaster

dash question

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:34 pm

i have a '69 Ford F-100 with a cracked dash and so i want to replace the vinyl dashboard with a replacement, the problem is that i can't get the nuts off the bolts that are above the inner dash components. How do i get them off without taking them to a mechanic?
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:46 pm

get a really good penetrating oil. there are different brands, and everyone has a favorite.

brush them with a wire brush to get the bug rust off. then spray them with penetrating oil and let it sit for a day or two to let it work. reapplying if it dries up.

but if the problem is that they are rounded over (or too rusty to get a wrench/socket on it), there are option. first off, make SURE you are using a 6-point socket if possible. and if you have to use a wrench, use a name brand wrench. the cheapos have crappy tolerances.

if that still doesnt work, you can get some of the rounded-fastener removers. they are kind of like socket that you tap on with a hamme. they are pretty dependable. you may or may not be able to do it, all you can do is try.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:50 pm

i can't even reach the bolts, i have no idea how to get to my hand up above the inner dash stuff. it's nothing outside the cab of the truck.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:04 pm

You probably need to pull everything out of the dash to get to them (radio, HVAC controls, etc).
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:21 pm

ajmorell wrote:You probably need to pull everything out of the dash to get to them (radio, HVAC controls, etc).
:dito: i thought you coudl get to thema nd jsut couldnt get them off. my mistake.

ajmorell is right. you will have to start taking the dash apart. it is nto as hard as it sounds. start with the obvious stuff. usually the first tings to come off are radio, climate control (if equipped), instrument cluster, decorative cover, hush covers in teh floor boards.

just tear into it and remember where everything goes. you might take out some extra stuff int eh long run, but you can get it done prety easy.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:25 am

here's a picture of the dash area, maybe this can help expain stuff.

Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:27 am

the white part of the dash is welded to the frame, it's not coming off anytime soon. especially since i don't feel like grinding the welds off and having to reweld it.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:55 am

You probably still need to remove the glove box door, radio and HVAC controls to get to it, possibly even some stuff underneath the dash.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:53 am

Can't help, but they just don't make em like that anymore.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum