Need a new truck

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Re: Need a new truck

Postby surfrat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:36 am

An Excursion is a one ton not a 3/4 ton. It is built on a f350.
surfrat
hunter
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:36 pm


Re: Need a new truck

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:55 pm

surfrat wrote:An Excursion is a one ton not a 3/4 ton. It is built on a f350.

same exact frame, engine, interior, body, and running gear as a 3/4. only differences are the spring rates. and I'm guessing Ford used the 1-ton rear springs to combat the extra weight from the additional body work, and realistically the towing cap. is a fair bit less than a 3/4ton truck... but I suspect that is because of the absence of the ability to tow a goose neck, yet still more towing capacity than a half ton. so really its a 5/8ton by my books. :hammer:



and 2004 excursion diesels are 6.0L powerstrokes.... DNW that ticking time bomb :no:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3230
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Need a new truck

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:16 pm

surfrat wrote:You don't know what you are talking about....Check what 04 excursions with a diesel and 60,000 miles are going for. You should get your facts straight before you stick your nose in something. Kelly Blue Book for my Truck is over 24,000 dollars. They sell for more than that all the time.

KBB is $18,600 in my area for one... and thats for a loaded one in excellent condition.

plus... the real market value to anybody who knows anything about it is much less than that because of the 6.0L under the hood, not to mention its a niche market vehicle. not a big market for them as Ford terminated the excursion line pretty quick after introduction because of dismal sales.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3230
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Need a new truck

Postby ajmorell » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 am

It's worth what someone is willing to pay. To ME it's not worth $24k, to someone else... Maybe, but it might take a significant amount of time to find that person.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: Need a new truck

Postby surfrat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:25 pm

What is your zip code where it is 18,600? mine is 23322...How on earth did you look up the value when you dont even know what it has on it....It is an Eddie Bauer 4x4 heated leather multidisc cd, DVD, quad capt chairs with brand new 305 tires tow package roof rack front hitch with 63000 miles ...You show me where it is 18,600 dollars in excelent condition. There is no way there is a diffrence of 6000 dollars where you live. You must be looking at trade in value...As far as the 6.0 vs the 7.3 I have had several of both... I flip them all the time.. the 6.0 is not a bad engine. When dummies start putting chips and stuff on them that is when they have problems. One thing is for sure....No one will buy this one for what you claim it is worth...It would go for more than that with 163000 miles.
surfrat
hunter
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: Need a new truck

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:30 pm

surfrat wrote:What is your zip code where it is 18,600? mine is 23322...How on earth did you look up the value when you dont even know what it has on it....It is an Eddie Bauer 4x4 heated leather multidisc cd, DVD, quad capt chairs with brand new 305 tires tow package roof rack front hitch with 63000 miles ...You show me where it is 18,600 dollars in excelent condition. There is no way there is a diffrence of 6000 dollars where you live. You must be looking at trade in value...As far as the 6.0 vs the 7.3 I have had several of both... I flip them all the time.. the 6.0 is not a bad engine. When dummies start putting chips and stuff on them that is when they have problems. One thing is for sure....No one will buy this one for what you claim it is worth...It would go for more than that with 163000 miles.

you're quoting the dealership retail price (about $25k), and that is just outrageous. Nobody in their right mind shows up to the dealer and says I'll take it at sticker price. Private party sale is $18,600 and some change for an Eddie Bauer edt. with all the goodies I could add to it on KBB in excellent condition. My buddy got a 2006 crew cab Lariat SRW f-350 long bed in 2012 (6.0L diesel) with 50k miles on it, and in the best shape it could be in. walked out of the dealership paying less than $21k for it, dealer had it listed at $26,500.

And yes the 6.0L is still a problematic and ticking time bomb motor before any tuning is done, especially the early ones. Head gaskets, egr, and oil cooler stuff where still problems, and the occasional turbo. Ford used sub par head studs that stretch very easy. My buddy sold his '06 after having it just at a year and putting 25k miles on it, dealership rebuilt the turbo after he had it for a week then a year down the road... the head gaskets went, and for the cost of repair he upgraded to an '08 SRW f-350. And out of the 4 other guys I know that have 6.0L powerstrokes... ALL of them have had to do head gaskets, one even had to replace his heads because they cracked. Given they are tuned, it doesnt matter they are all still making less than 550hp and any other 2000+ model diesel engine in a light duty truck will hold that HP reliably. Even on a 100% factory 6.0L the head gaskets WILL go before 100k miles, and while you're replacing them aftermarket (like ARP) head studs are pretty much a must. But I will admit if you can look past the head gasket and stud problems, EGR, and oil cooler problems or spend the $1500 minimum (if you do the labor/ install yourself) the 6.0L is a strong running motor. And even if they are tuned so what?? you throw a canned tuner on a 5.9L or 6.7L cummins, 6.6L duramax, 7.3L/6.4L/6.7L powerstroke engine they dont run into those problems within a 30k miles, or even at all.

And most buyers that would buy one of these used doesnt care so much about the small bells and whistles inside, so its extremely unlikely that somebody would pay $24k or even 20k for it. Especially yours being a Northen truck... DNW anything to do with a used Northen vehicle. just looked on craigslist and saw them going anywhere from $3000 to $18,500 with the highest priced on there being at a dealer. most mileage was in the 120-170k range, but the one listed for $18,500 had 95,000 miles and was 2005. You can claim what you want about what you have, I know what it is, I know what its truly worth in terms of the actual market value based on what I have seen. You list it at that price and you'll sit on it for a while, or some fool with the money will pick it up. and if you do sell it at that price, I'll let you sell my truck on commission for me, because you must be a hell of a salesman.

I'll give you $15,500 for it today, and fly out to come get it, but only if you have new head gaskets and ARP head studs installed, along with an EGR delete.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3230
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Need a new truck

Postby surfrat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:26 pm

There is no point trying to reason with you. Make up your numbers and pretend like you are some sort of expert. Anyone with half a brain knows a low mile diesel even a 6.0 is going to sell for top dollar. I buy and sell these things all the time.
Last edited by surfrat on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfrat
hunter
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: Need a new truck

Postby ajmorell » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:28 pm

surfrat wrote:You are one of those guys that will thinks he knows a lot more than he really does.

Hi pot, meet kettle
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: Need a new truck

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:03 pm

surfrat wrote:There is no point trying to reason with you. Make up your numbers and pretend like you are some sort of expert. Anyone with half a brain knows a low mile diesel even a 6.0 is going to sell for top dollar. I buy and sell these things all the time.

Nome of my numbers are made up. I know that I am not an expert but I do have a fair knowledge of the light truck and light truck diesel world. and a lot of it comes from real world experience.

and yes a low mile diesel can bring good resale, its because diesels 1) cost more from the factory 2) last longer 3) get good fuel mileage while towing 4)tow well because they make more torque than a gas motor 5) the diesel ricer kids with mommy and daddy's money will buy any truck that burns diesel fuel without negotiating a fair price on a used vehicle. (seen that happen)

But anyways you sell your rig for what you feel its worth, and find a customer willing to pay. But I will not own a 6.0L Ford/ International diesel motor. :thumbsup:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3230
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Previous

Return to Vehicle forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest