New Truck

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

New Truck

Postby FarmerMatt » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:36 pm

Hey guys, I am getting my licence in 2 years, right now I am 15. I wanted to know what kind of a first truck I should get. It's gotta be a used something or other because I can't spend much more that 11k for one. I would like a desiel for that price but I know its gonna be hard to get. Anybody any suggestions?

I know I am gonna get a hardcore ford,chevy,dodge guy. I hear that dodges have tranny problems. Cheveys are made less reliably than fords. This is what I hear, this is not what I'm sayin, just trying to find the best all around first time truck.
FarmerMatt
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:38 pm

Sounds like youll be able to get one heck of a first truck. Mine didnt cost 1000. :rofl: If it were me I would look for a clean regular cab 4x4 that has low miles and really look them over good.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:21 pm

Dodge's automatics do have transmission troubles if not maintained properly......moreso than Fords and Chevy's do. If you have any intention of doing any offroading, putting any lift, etc on the truck look for an older Ford or Chevy with solid front axles and if looking at a Dodge, look for one with a manual transmission as the Dodge manuals are bulletproof.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby FIREMAN » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:27 pm

I am a diehard ford man, but for a first truck i would say look at a toyota tacoma or tundera. Those little trucks run forever, and look good too.
FIREMAN
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm

:dito:
(except for the diehard ford fan) they are a little more expensive but with 11k to spend you should have no problem finding a nice truck
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:53 pm

wow i wish i had 11k for a truck now let alone my first one :eek:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:53 am

Fireman hit it on the head with the tacoma. That was my third truck and I wish I would have kept it. It was a really good truck that would do anything and never give me trouble.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby gadwall getter » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:43 am

im 15 as well and i had 10,000 to spend.im glad all the work i did paid off cuz i bought a 1999 chevy silverado single cab v8 vortec this thing is spotless and it runs great!!! so if i got it for 10k you could easily find a nice single cab silverado for the money you got. oh almost forgot its got a lotta power!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
DUCKS ARE GOOD EATS. EAT WHAT YOU KILL.
gadwall getter
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:23 pm

Taco's are great trucks, don't let anyone else tell you differently. One suggestion I have is that you at least get a 4x4 model if for no other reason than it significantly increases resale value.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby maestro402 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:05 pm

:dito: They are right .. the Toyotas are great. I'm looking to get a Tacoma 4x4 for just a haul things around truck. The things will roll forever with little up keep.
maestro402
hunter

Postby 919QuackerStacker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:28 pm

a smaller truck wont be as bad on gas or insurance yotas run for ever and they r cheap to lift and fix if it breaks i have a 2005 ford ranger and i get about 18 miles to the gallon all the power i need :dito:
shoot first ask questions later
919QuackerStacker
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:37 am

being 17 i can tell you firsthand that whatever you do, don't get a brand new "nice" truck, chances are you will do something stupid and wreck the dang thing. get some old truck that you can work on easily since you have no problem with cash. also, if you can pay for the entire vehicle at once, do it. get your name only on the title so your parents can't "reposses" your vehicle. if you get a used vehicle, check for leaks at the rear differential & the oil pan, check for blowback on your tranny, that would indicate the main seals are shot. check the tranny for leaks as well. if it has a carb make sure that there are no fuel leaks near that. inspect the suspension to see if it's solid, check every hose on that vehicle, if you buy it and they are old, you need to replace those quick. check for any leaks, you especially don't want a leak in your coolant system. chances are that if you buy an old truck you will have to replace several things at once, plus regular maintanance.

trust me on this, i bought my first truck a while back and have worked on it and it is really coming together now, i just have a couple of maintanance things now.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Wash_DUCK_Hunter » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:57 pm

Toyota Tacoma 4x4 extended cab is what I have and would recommend. Don't go for any other Toyota junk though Tacoma or nothing. If you don't want a Toyota go for Ford. A 4x4 Ranger would be a good first truck, my dad has one he loves it. I also highly recommend an extended cab no matter what you get because it is nice to just have the extra room to put gear and you know it will say dry, or a canopy, I got both.
Wash_DUCK_Hunter
hunter

Postby FarmerMatt » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:30 pm

What about a Toyota Tundra, they any good?
FarmerMatt
hunter

Postby wingshooter2009 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:03 pm

get a cheap jeep wrangler and buy the brute conversion kit to turn it into a truck. :thumbsup:
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby dixieduckslayer » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:22 am

YESSSS....get a jeep for 1,000 because i think the brute kit is 10,000 :biggrin:
Dixie Duck Slayers....Kentucky's Elite Duck Hunting Team
dixieduckslayer
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:29 am

boonethelunkerlander wrote:YESSSS....get a jeep for 1,000 because i think the brute kit is 10,000 :biggrin:

:dito: The Brute kit is sweet but ridiculously expensive. A wrangler is a pretty decent vehicle but they tend to hold their resale value really well so you most likely would be able to get a newer model of another vehicle than compared to a wrangler.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby ChesterRiverDucker » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:51 pm

get a toyota. Runs better then any ford I ever had.
ChesterRiverDucker
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum