New 4wd question

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

New 4wd question

Postby macdaddy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:58 pm

Ok gentlemen:
Two years ago I took a Jeep Rubicon w/ front & rear lockers, mud tires, up a 40 degree slope of loose soil, slippery shale, & gravel at 3500 rpm. What got me up?

Tires?
One locker?
Both lockers?
Tires & lockers?

Not a quiz - I eventually want the same performance from my 250.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Re: New 4wd question

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:29 pm

all of it combined.

a heavy 3/4 ton truck is going to act a heck of a lot different on loose soil slopes, especially with a longer wheel base. But really good tires and a rear locker/ limited slip should get you up and over. Just alone a good set of tires can get you pretty far. But I dont think a long wheel based 3/4ton truck will go as far as a jeep ever will (in mostly factory form) because of the suspension, weight, and wheel base.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:55 pm

Thank you 2500.
Exactly what I need to know.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:30 pm

I have been running mud trucks and trails rigs since the early 80's and I have found that lighter vehicles can do better in the mud and on the trails than some heavy vehicles. A jeep with lockers and the right tires is light enough to go a lot of places you may never get with your 250. Also if you get a big heavy truck stuck it is quite often a pain to get them out but I can easily (in most cases) pop a jeep out of a hole with little effort with my 2500 diesel. Also the suspension works a lot better on a 1/2 ton than a 1 ton for most all off road events. Your 250 suspension will tend to bounce which can cause you to loose traction and forward momentum on hill climbs. If your blasting up a muddy hill a longer wheel base (with a light suspension) seems to get the job done better with a lot more lateral stability but if your picking your way thru rocks the shorter wheelbase tends to win. Not always, depending on setup, but on average the above plays true.

So without being on the hill you were on I can not answer your question, your 250 might run right up that hill just fine. Did you try the jeep with the lockers off?

I have seen open differential Toyotas and Nissans running with the full size trucks with lockers and doing just fine. Now if your running AG tires and 2.5ton axles with 500+hp then were talking a completely different game :biggrin:

4x4.JPG
This was what we called the "go anywhere" toy. stock V8 and 3 speed on 40's, it was not fast but never got it stuck

4x4-3.JPG
These 80's blazers were fantastic off roaders and I'm looking for one now to start my next project. This one on 36's would keep up with the big boys for the most
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Okie Ducker » Thu May 15, 2014 10:23 am

I think waterfowler is probably right. Many years ago I used to have a Suzuki Samari. That thing could go any where! It was lighter and narrower than most 4x4's. Wish I still had one to play with occasionally.
Okie Ducker
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum