Blazer lift

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, ajmorell, KCDuckMaster

Blazer lift

Postby FarmerMatt » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:50 pm

Hey guys, next year I will be inheriting a 1997 chevy blazer for my very first car. I want to get a lift on it, but I don't know a thing about lifts or how to do them, the cost of them, and the change in performance. Can somebody kindly fill me in please?
FarmerMatt
hunter

Postby CountryboyNC » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:12 pm

suspension is a better way to go. it will be more expensive but it worth it. body lift are cheaper but only lift the body off the frame and on chevy trucks leave ugly gaps and show a lot of frame. you center of gravity will be higher so your going to have to drive more carefully. also with the bigger tires more weight will come and that means more parts are gonna wear out quicker. including bearings, ball joints and u joins ect. any more questions man just ask me i know some things abouts them. ive done 4 or 5
Livin' Life to it's Fullest...
CountryboyNC
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:35 am

Country boy is right on the money.

Yopu can get away with a cheap body lift of 3-4 inches. But with the shape of the wheel wells ont eh 97 blazers, you wouldnt be able to clear much more than a 33 x 12.50 i would think. You would alo show almost all of the center frame like Countryboy said.

A suspension lift would be the way to go. But since the truckis IFS (Independent front suspension) you will be spending well over $1000 for a 3-6 inch lift. And some of the lifts require that you cut off one of the front differential mounts. That makes the kit permanent. Once that mount is cut off, you cannot put it back to stock.

You will also have to keep a good eye on u-joints with a blazer like that. with the fairly short wheel base, if you lift it 6 inches or more it will go thru u-joints pretty quick. Also, with the bigger tires you will go thru front wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod endes, idler arms, and pitman arms much quickler. It is all the price you pay to play.

Any questions, PM me.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CountryboyNC » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:08 pm

if you do go with a 4 or 6 inch suspension lift, i would recommend getting a custom front drive shaft made thats longer and it will help relieve the angle and some of the pressure to your u joints up there, it will save you money in the long run
Livin' Life to it's Fullest...
CountryboyNC
hunter

Postby wingshooter2009 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:25 pm

lol suspension lifts are crazt high for a blazer. ive got a 1995 4x4 blazer and a 4-6in lift was about $2500! so my plan is to keep it stock and sell it later to buy a jeep.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:35 pm

wingshooter2009 wrote:lol suspension lifts are crazt high for a blazer. ive got a 1995 4x4 blazer and a 4-6in lift was about $2500! so my plan is to keep it stock and sell it later to buy a jeep.

that's always your best bet :thumbsup:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum