tbi on a 454

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

tbi on a 454

Postby ganderlander2 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:47 pm

im having some carb issues.i cant afford to put a progammable f/i system on my truck. i was wondering if a tbi could be retrofitted to work on my truck.its an 81 c20, the of the block is unknown. it is punched .30 over with a crawler cam.its balanced & bluprinted. i have a doulbe pumper on it now and is great on the pavement but blows out hunting, thats why i was thinking about the tbi.. any help would be helpfull!
TAKE EM
ganderlander2
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:59 pm

Well they make Tbi kits but they are probably going to run you between Id say $1000 and $1500 bucks. And for that price I would spend the extra money and put a mpfi system on. About retro fitting one, im not sure but I dont think gm made a tbi 454 Gen1 engine. So if thats the case then I dont think you could make it work unless you found a larger injector and re-programmed the ECM.

My question for ya is why does your carb suck for hunting? Is it because you take it off road and your bouncing around alot. Because they do make jet kits for off-roading. Or is it because of the cold and it sucks trying to get it to start and warm up?
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby ganderlander2 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:51 pm

both,at any angle it will either flood out or run out of gas. i know they make kits and have thought about trying a 770 truck advenenger. and yes if i dont warm her up properly she will stall or burp out the carb and stick my choke plate. the reason i was asking about the tbi was i saw a truck with a 440 in it with a chevy tbi on it in some 4 wheel mag. i just thought if you could fit a tbi on a dodge it might be do able on my truck.i looked at both holley and eldebrocks programmable f.i. , but like you said they range between 1500 to 3000, plus a laptop if i want to be able to change the hp to economy range on the fly in the cab.
TAKE EM
ganderlander2
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:36 pm

well you probably could bolt one on, its just unless you reprogram the ecm you wont get the correct amount of fuel.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby the_purebred_redneck » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:13 pm

In my own opinion I would probably have to spend just a little bit of money on a good carb for it. You really only need like a 600 CFM carb for it to run right, it will give you enough gas when you stomp on it and wont flood it out. Ive got a holley truck advenger carb on my 400 ford and i can turn the truck upside down and it wont stop running. And it will idle all day long with out flooding. Look in to that area and see what you come up with. To me its not worth all the hassle and future problems to convert it. It always seems like there is issue after issue when you do a major swap like that. As for starting, ive got a manual choke on mine becasue then i know it is working when i pull the cable. I dont know where you live but im in the northern area of wisconsin and she starts every morning whether it is 90 or minus 40.
Living the Confederate Legacy
the_purebred_redneck
Newb

Return to Vehicle forum