Your best hunting vehicle story gettin' OUT or IN!

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Your best hunting vehicle story gettin' OUT or IN!

Postby Poke Boater » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:05 am

Hello DHC members!

I looked the topics over and this topic was hung up in the waiting to be list. Getting to and from the waterfowl haunts is not so easy most times. If you have your best story to tell us let 'er rip!

4X4 or 4X2, the wife's car hung? How did you extract it tips? Was it a wheel spinnin' high RPM miracle to get thru? How far off the road were you? We've all got a vehicle hung more often than we like to admit it.

Somebody go first and we'll all be standing by. Don't be bashful, we won't tell! :oops:

PB :thumbsup:
#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.
Ouabache!
Poke Boater
hunter

Postby Bustintheirazz » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:47 am

Hahahaha, all i know is that statement 2wd is to get you in and 4wd is to get you back out. :lol: Thats the safe way, my favorite is just putting it in 4 and getting as far as you can get in. :yes:
"were professionals"
Bustintheirazz
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:33 pm

Thanksgiving break 2 years ago my uncle, his friend and I decided to go out after a real good snow storm (well in a snow storm is more like it). It was early and they plows hadn't been out yet so there was about 7-8" of snow on the road. 4-hi doing 35mph my Jeep mashed through it no problem. Haven't had an issue yet getting in/out of anywhere with my Jeep....I takes a lot to get it stuck. Also had one day last fall where the launch was so icy I almost couldn't pull the boat out of the water. Had it the gas mashed running 4000rpms tires spinning and was barely moving, but we got it out.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Poke Boater » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:18 am

Bustintheirass wrote:Hahahaha, all i know is that statement 2wd is to get you in and 4wd is to get you back out. :lol: Thats the safe way, my favorite is just putting it in 4 and getting as far as you can get in. :yes:

B,

You have a great idea, lock it in before it's too late. Our fire district had that rule on paper no matter what the conditions were like off road. Some used to blow that rule and hang the 4X4 up on a wheat field fire. Surely B's got a "hung up while waterfowl hunting" story.

Unless that big old mud hole out in the sticks is waiting to be his first. :rofl:

Mods, if this thread is in the wrong area, please move it elsewhere.
Poke Boater
hunter

Postby Poke Boater » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:37 am

ajmorell wrote:Thanksgiving break 2 years ago my uncle, his friend and I decided to go out after a real good snow storm (well in a snow storm is more like it). It was early and they plows hadn't been out yet so there was about 7-8" of snow on the road. 4-hi doing 35mph my Jeep mashed through it no problem. Haven't had an issue yet getting in/out of anywhere with my Jeep....I takes a lot to get it stuck. Also had one day last fall where the launch was so icy I almost couldn't pull the boat out of the water. Had it the gas mashed running 4000rpms tires spinning and was barely moving, but we got it out.

aj,

It must be nice having no issues getting in or out. :grooving: Spinning tires do work miracles on icey concrete ramps. A sand bag or a few of those red plastic coffee cans full of sand would be helpful to pack along. Of course, that's before you need the sand PDQ!

I've never heard of a slide in because the ramp was icey. It sure would ice up quickly with all the down & up traffic. A big ice storm that freezes the boat ramp would crimp a hunt's style. The water line on the ice free ramp underwater would alow start up traction. Then hope for the best the rest of the way up!

It's amazing how rpms change things in a hang up, sometimes. It's so rare to see a dirty Jeep leaving the soccer fields. Or a muddy anything 4X4. Hunters must ride their ATV in or out,............that sounds logical!

Thanks aj and B,

PB :thumbsup:

:skeet:
Poke Boater
hunter

Postby hunter121390 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:47 am

driving down a gravel/dirt road with about a foot of snow and an inch of ice on it, going back into public land in the middle of nowhere, 4wd never locked in, made it in, but couldnt make it out. tried for like 10 minutes, then realized the 4wd wasnt locked in so locked it in and drove on out. we were kind of worried because none of us had reception back there.
If it flies it dies
Take em'
"My guns will be pulled out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking, and a pile of empty magazines and brass at my feet. "
"kill em' all, let God sort em out."
hunter121390
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:45 am

i don't have the luxury of 4 wheel yet but i can tell you that me and my buddy have taken our trucks into places they never should have been and conquered the terrain in 2 wheel.

a few years ago a huge storm hit and knocked down trees all over the place while we were in the mountains, a big old 3 footer fell across the entrance to our campground, my dad threw the old ford into 4 high and decided to jump over the tree, i have never seen a ford fly since.

last year we drove out of a huge bog while fishing with our dodge, that hemi sure did sound good with the petal to the floor in 4 wheel! the ruts are still there today. :biggrin:

i drove through a swamp last summer while scouting for ducks, i got bogged down but my old ford was slinging mud until i hit the main road.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:47 pm

I've got quite a few stories over the years of muddin my favorite was one time I went to visit my cousin in west monroe La with my Nissan. It was a 4x4 with 33's. Man I loved the little truck. Well my cousin is a huge muddin fan ( actually works for super lift) and its not hard to convince me to go playin. So he called up his buddies and off we went. There was me, a guy in a 2000 model Chevy lifted and another guy with a monster 4x4 Chevy. So we took off back in the swamps of La and there was one area when he called it play land. Its one of those open spots where you can just have fun and sling mud. Although there one hole where the big boys play. The guy with the smaller Chevy was talking mad crap about how he can go through anything and decided to go through the big hole and needless to say buried it. My cousin sad mad him look stupid and run circles around him so I did but waited till he got out of his truck and slung mud everywhere, on him and his truck. My cousin didn't like him anyhow so that was cool. The best part of that trip was watching that big Chevy plowing through the mud, he had that thing set up nice. There nothing better than watching a real machine work.

Probably the scariest time I've had muddin was in a truck I just sold. It was a 04 Chevy with an eight inch lift with 38's. That truck was sweet. Well one day I was bored and decided to take the boy out for a joy ride and new a road close to home that was just plain nasty. Well I've never been down it before just new it was bad from the main highway. I almost bit off more than I could chew. The trail was very tight and I went around a corner and dropped off into a hole and that when I got the terrible sinking feeling where you feel like you just bottomed out. I though we were done and I was going to have to walk out with my three year old. Luckily I had new tires on, Mickey Thompson Baja claws. Dropped it in four high and she didn't want to budge. OH CRAP, dropped it in four low and gave it hell slinging mud everywhere. WE MADE IT. Now I have much respect for mud but that hole almost got the best of me.

Words of wisdom, if your by yourself and come to a hole and have to even think for a minute if you can make it, don't. You'll be better off backing all the way out then spending hours digging.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shoot-n-goose » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:57 pm

i've got an '01 Silverado with 2wd, and the only time i have ever gotten stuck was in early december on the boat ramp. Its on public land and the ramp is dirt with a few concrete blocks in the water. Well once we got the boat full of water onto the over sized trailer i noticed that the ramp had about 4 inches of a frozen mix of snow and water. It was origanally a foot of snow, but it had rainded the night before and turned it to ice.
The problem was that once i got moving up the ramp, the trailer tires would grab the edge of the concrete blocks and get hung up(the ramp was all washed out and dirt). After a few attempts of putting the truck halfway into the water to get a running start, the only other duck hunter on the lake pulls his boat up to the launch. We hooked a chain up and he just eased me on up the ramp.
Looking back :stouff: , i know i could have made it out if i would have unhooked the trailer and got up the hill, then either walk(it was only a 14ft jon boat) the trailer up, or drag it with some ropes from the top of the hill
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby SoMNhunter » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:20 pm

I've been hunting out in North Daota before in mid -feb hunting coyotes with our usual group and watched a guy in opur group take his new f-250 ou tinto htthe field after a coyote and hew was doing 60 when he hit a washout that he couldn';t make it through. It was all of 4 or five feet deep. And if any of you have been in the Dakotas that snowe gets as hard as a rock. Thwe guy he was with said that truck stopped quicker than he has ever seen anything stop before. He ended up bending his frame so that tells you how hard he hit. it took a new chevy half ton and a new toyota tundra to even budge it but we got him out.
sorry officer I thought you wanted to race.
one shot, one kill
SoMNhunter
hunter

Postby CaliDukks » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:46 pm

Try four wheelin in your buddy's, mom's handicapped minivan.
We've done it more than once. nothing real rough but, it handled it like a champion.

Thats how you mosh through the fields.
"Love God, and hunt ducks. And let the chips fall where they may."---Phil Robertson

Proud Contributor to the Sportsmens Legacy Foundation
CaliDukks
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:20 pm

A couple weeks back I was scouting some new lakes after we got about 5 inches of snow. Took my truck down a downhill dirt road to a boat launch that had no tracks on it. Well 400yrds later I was staring at a frozen lake with no way to turn around. Did I forget to mention i have 2wd? Well I do and I know there wasnt going to be anybody coming down that road for a hell of a long time, so I threw it in reverse and started the uphill battle.

I had to spin my tires until they moved the snow away and clear about a foot strip of dirt. Then put it in neutral to roll forward, then reverse again to get a foot running start. This went on for about 45 min but I made it out of there, after coming within an inch (truly an inch, you know 2.54cm) of busting my taillight on a guardrail and almost sliding into the downhill ditch a few times.

That snow covered dirt road looked like a drunk running on rims drove up and down it a few times by the time o got out of there.

Wont do that again. :oops:
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Re: Your best hunting vehicle story gettin' OUT or IN!

Postby steelslinger » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:09 am

Out here in Estern NC a little bit of snow can be a bad thing. I decided to go hunting after a light snow fall and was driving down a dirt road, did not and could not see a massive mud hole in the middle of the road because the snow had covered everything with a fine layer of white and it all looked the same, was running pretty quick until I hit this mud hole. As soon as I got into it I knew I was screwed, only had 2WD. Instead of freezing up, I stomped the gas and got almost to the edge of it before I came to a spinning stop. Had to rock it back and forth for about 45 minutes to get out and this mudhole was only about 40 or 50 feet long and covered half the road. Could not go forward so had to rock it back just inches, then forward inches then gained a couple of inches back and this went on for 45 minutes. Talk about scared.
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Postby cjg » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Was in northern Maine in November ( 80 miles of dirt road back ) with my F350 diesel with my 11 foot truck camper and a tandem axle trailer when it started snowing pretty good, I was going to tough it out but was by myself and the guys camping around me were all bailing so I fagged out and decided to pack up. I knew they'd plow the road eventually, but my camper is older and if the furnace crapped out or I ran out of propane or whatever I'd be screwed. By the time I got going I was pushing snow with my front bumper. I had chains on all 4 tires and it was white knuckle driving for about 35 miles until I got over the mountain and into an area without as much snow. I could see where the guys that left ahead of me went off the road and into the ditch 3 or 4 times. They had 1/2 ton trucks with small cargo trailers, 3 trucks 7 guys. Looked like they had a rough time getting out. If I had gone off the road as heavy as my rig was I don't know how I would have gotten out. I'll be back again this year, I have the whole month of November off and am building a camper with a wood stove in it.
cjg
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:10 pm

I was way back in the Maine woods where you do not see another upright species for days and got stuck. Crossing a frozen stream and 3 tires went thru leaving my truck sitting on the frame and bumpers. Kind of spoiled the mornings Bear hunt which annoyed me more than the getting stuck part. With the use of the spare tire (to spread the load) my Jack and a lot of fallen logs / branches I got it back out of the holes. The stream was only about 3 foot deep so there was no real danger but it still trapped me for few hours.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Yellowdog » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:00 pm

Back in the 90's I had an f150 4x4. We were in Missouri deer hunting and were on a mud road. It had rained for a week straight, both hard and slow so the ground was water logged. We had 3 4x4's in there and were slipping and sliding all the way in like it was ice. The lead truck got stuck going up a hill. As long as we had forward momentum, there was no problem, but when that lead truck got stuck, it stuck us all going up the hill. The only way out was to back up, and I was the last truck in line, so I got to go first. This road had a field that was about 2' higher than the road on the right side. No way to get there because of a ditch and trees. On the left side it was a sudden drop off into a wooded hollow that didn't stop for about 40 yards or so (of course, there were those trees to help with the potential fall). Well the road sloped slightly toward that hollow and so that is the direction the trucks wanted to travel to as we slipped backwards down that road. We finally got to a spot where the trees thinned out, so we decided we would cut the fence and a couple of small trees and get up into the field (the owner was with us and it was his idea). When we got all that cleared, we started to back up into the field. Problem was that we had already been pushed left and my drivers side tires were on the edge if not handing off toward that hollow. The other guys tried to push me away from the edge as I tried to maneuver the opposite direction to get going toward the field to no avail. I had no choice but to place all my eggs in one basket and try the only option left. I told them to get away and I gave it the gas. Unbelievably, the truck bit and I shot up into that field. That one had pucker power!
Yellowdog
hunter

Postby nausetduckhunter8 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:09 am

It was early january of last year. My dad and I were on Nauset Beach on Cape Cod. We were moving from blind to blind because we were hanging out with our a$$es in the wind in the middle of the marsh during a blizzard. Driving along the beach (soft soft sand mixed with powder snow) we were taking a tight left slightly uphill to get into the next spot. As I expected, we got stuck right up to the frame. We dug for 1 1/2 hours to get the truck out. Made him think twice about buying a GMC Sierra extended cab long bed diesel when you have to dig every square inch of its frame out of the sand. Gotta love huntin!
nausetduckhunter8
hunter

Postby killerv » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:41 am

I guess it was hunting some public land we got in with my buddies chevy 2wd. It started pouring and it was miserable. Got back to the truck and it sunk immediately. Even though it was a walk in hunt, we had the boat hooked up so we tried unhooking it, etc, jacking up the rear end to put whatever wood we could find under the tires....Tried everything, ended up walking about two miles in just a torrential downpour to the closest houses and started knocking on doors. We'll, we would knock on the doors of those you looked to have a vehicle to pull us out. Sure enough someone helped us out and we were very thankful. And of course we get back to the hotel room had all of our clothes and jackets in front of the little old heater trying to dry everything out before the next hunt. I imagine a lot of us have done that.
killerv
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:19 pm

I just got back from a snowy trip to Saskatchewan.
weeks earlier igot the Isuzu Rodeo checked out new syn oil antifreeze and i lucked out on a set of Michelin LTX mud and snow tires.
We headed out to Sask and were just 20 miles west of Saskatoon when it started to get windy cold and snow and there was a couple hours of daylight left..a big tanker had just passed us at a pretty good clip and we came upon a hill and we saw the tanker 1/2 mile ahead of swerve and kick up some snow. i right away hit the 4x4 buton and drove thru two sheets of clear ice at 65 mph without much problem but the tanker was upside down in the ditch and had sideswiped a van..whew.
The next day without scouting we drove in the morning on snow covered greasy dirt road and thru a soggy hay field full of mole hills to our rock pile thru 4 inches of snow and a wind chill of minus 15 the tires performed well and the heater came thru with the right amount of heat in 4x4 high
The next day we had permission to hunt a barley swathed field with 4 inches of snow and my buddies two suburbans and trailers could not get going in the soggy field, after ferrying 5 trips in with my lighter Isuzu we managed to get the gear and people in. That was a great shoot..we shot until 11 am with alot of misses due to the fierce snowstorm and windy conditions in our white suits.
Well we had to get back to calgary Alberta that evening and it was still cold and there was some light snow.coming into Rosetown it started to snow big flakes and we put it into 4x4 high and drove 50mph. After another 50 miles towards the border it really got bad with the drifting snow and you could hardly see the lines on th two lane highway, flipped on the big set of yellow driving lights aimed low and we were able to see ahead for a hundred yards. We saw a few cars in the ditch mostly smaller cars.
we thought about stopping but my son kept on pushing claiming we might outrun the storm and when we got to th border..sure enough it was like night and day except it got colder by 5 degrees. It as getting late and my son had overshot the junction turnoff and we were low on gas not near any major towns with gas stations. We slowed it down to 55mph and got home right at midnight with a 1/8 tank of gas left..That was one cold nervous trip and hunt to remember.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum