pressure washer on engine

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

pressure washer on engine

Postby wingshooter2009 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:40 pm

is it safe to do that on an enigine to clean it?
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:57 pm

no...there is gasket and rubber fittings that could get damaged. just spray the engine down with simple green. let is set for about 10 minutes then spray down with water hose.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby wingshooter2009 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:56 pm

simple green? what iss that....a degreaser?
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:01 pm

It depends on the engine really. If it is a older carb engine with a distributor/single coil. you will run into problems sometime with getting it started again due to all the places for water to get in.

If it is a newer engine with coil-on-plug you cang et water intot he spark plus holes and will have running issues if you pressure wash it. It will clear up after a while normally.
You can also cause some problems by pressure washign an alternator, leaking power steering pump, leaking steerign rack, etc.
For the most part it is safe to pressure wash an engine if you use your head. if you keep the nozzle 3 feet or so away at a minimum you shouldnt break anything. The main things to make sure of are that the engine is COLD when you wash it. putting cold water on a hot engine can cause some warpage on exhaust manifold and i have seen cast aluminum parts crack as well.

the best thing i have foudn to clean an engine is Gunk engine degreaser. it is in a spray bottle with an orange cap. you can get it almost anywhere that sells car wash supplies. it is best to get two cans and use ALL of it at oen time. spray it and let it sit. then jsut rinse it off with a water hose.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby wingshooter2009 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:43 am

http://www.bamachips.com/store/images/10699-05P.jpg

thats is a pic of the engine.
im just trying to get it cleaned up really good for a show this weekend. :thumbsup:

wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:57 am

Couldnt get that link to work. :huh:
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:27 pm

Like already stated, you can just be careful. Personally I would just pick up some quality engine degreaser.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby wingshooter2009 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:21 am

wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:08 pm

wingshooter2009 wrote:http://www.bamachips.com/store/images/10699-05P.jpg

here it is again

Oh yah, that thing is gross, get right in there with the pressure washer, good idea, what ever that cone shaped paper thingy is, make sure you hit that REAL good. Listen to Fowl, start with the engine cold, but when you get to that paper thing a ma jig, make sure you start the motor and rev it really high.

I really hope you are kidding, as you obviously know I am, None of the above mentioned methods will make that motor any cleaner then it already is.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby wingshooter2009 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:52 pm

lol yeah i kinda guessed. well i just went thorugh and scrubed the thing with a tookbrush and a homemade "power ball". thanks for the replies! :thumbsup:

wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:12 pm

What do you need a pressure washer for, you don't have any clumps of dirt or grease to knock off you just need some elbow grease or I use tire shine.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duckslayer920 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:14 pm

Best way to clean off an engine in my opinion is to cover it in scrub n bubbles and lightly rinse off with the hose. Ive done it to my truck for as long as I can remember. Picked that tip up from a friend who used to race.
Duckslayer920
account suspended for advertising/promo

Return to Vehicle forum