Long starting time?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, ajmorell, KCDuckMaster

Long starting time?

Postby kurto_15 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:56 pm

I have a 1991 Chevy C1500. The past month or so it has taken a long time to start. It turns very quickly so I'm pretty sure its no the starter and the battery is good and I can here the fuel pump. What do you guys think is the problem?
Thanks in advance
KurtO
kurto_15
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:12 pm

If it is turning at the right speed and you knwo for a fact that yoru battery is in good shape, my first guess would be a fuel pressure issue. The chevy trucks were known to have fairly predictable fuel pump problems. I have seen the pumps get "weak" either int eh fact that the motors current draw goes up or to the point that the impellers is worn, crack, or broken to the point the flow is down.

A quick way to verify my guess would be to cycle the key 3 or 4 times before yous tart it. Jsut turn the key to the on position until you hear the pump come on to prime the system. then turn the key off and on again. Repeat 3 or 4 times. Then if hte truck starts normally without the hesitation, you have a fuel problem. If not, keep lookin!
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:38 pm

Whens the last time you have had a good tune up? After you do the fuel pump thing check your spark plugs, wires, rotor etc.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby patkane » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:38 pm

100 bucks says its the fuel pump mine did that right before it finally wouldnt start. and it was the fuel pump even if u can here it doesnt mean its working correctly.
Pat Kane
patkane
hunter

Postby kurto_15 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:11 pm

Well I replaced the fuel pump and rebuilt the fuel injector pressure regulator. That didn't work. Any other thoughts?

Thanks
kurto_15
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:22 pm

Change your spark plugs, check everything for corrosion and make sure you got good voltage.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:59 am

my buddy Tanner just had the same problem with his chevy. he told me what it was too but i can't remember. i will talk to him and tell him to post a reply for you.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum