Thoughts on adding a tuner to Chevy 1500???

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Thoughts on adding a tuner to Chevy 1500???

Postby SMcGarrity » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:26 pm

Got a 2012 Chevy LTZ Z71 with the 5.3. I am thinking about adding a tuner and a CAI to the truck, but it is under factory warranty right now.

I haven't heard anyone say that adding a CAI will void the warranty, but I have heard quite a bit of noise about adding a tuner and what that does to the warranty. Some say you can go back and reset the factory settings and the dealership probably won't find out. I've heard that mechanics can go into the vehicle's ECM and see how many times it's been tweaked/flashed by a tune/reset. I've heard that that unless you cut into the wires/harness, the warranty is still good.

I have heard a lot things about the tuner/warranty thing. Does anyone specifically have any experience with this?
SMcGarrity
hunter

Re: Thoughts on adding a tuner to Chevy 1500???

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun May 04, 2014 8:43 am

Skip any hand held "canned" tuners by the big names like Edge, Bully dog, diablo etc. Check out Black bear performance, they do great custom tunes. They also did a dyno test of the popular CAI's and the Air Aid JR MIT kit came out with the most HP and TQ gains.

Being in STL you probably have somebody local to you that can custom tune LS engines.... like Blackbear does. That will net you the best MPG and much more HP/TQ than any hand held unit will be able to offer to you, and usually at a better price. Plus with tow/haul mode they can play with the shift points if you wish to be more performance driven or if you do really use it to tow with they can improve it.

Also I would make sure to have them turn AFM OFF. As well as take the torque management off or at least bring it down so it doesnt limit as much. Nor can warranty be denied for tunes, unless your tune sucks and that is what caused the problem. They MUST prove what caused the problem to void warranty work. But if you do take it in for warranty work there is a good chance they'll wipe your tune off the ECM... why lots of guys have a spare ECM that they tune and keep on with the factory tune on it... they never run into any problems with warranty or having their tune erased.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun May 04, 2014 8:46 am

Here are the dyno results for the air intakes, as well as install times.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/557 ... esults.pdf

notice K&N came 4th out of 5! :lol:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Rhock19 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:50 am

on a stock motor the 5-10 hp gains from a cold air intake is a waste of money IMO. I second black bear tuning. Justin is a great guy to deal with and does good work. Have had several tahoes and silverados done by him.
Rhock19
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Sun May 04, 2014 8:32 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:Here are the dyno results for the air intakes, as well as install times.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/557 ... esults.pdf

notice K&N came 4th out of 5! :lol:

I'm getting an error message for the link you posted...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby quackhead7606 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:40 pm

Little late but I have a 5.3 silverado with a cai, exhaust, and custom tune from Race Proven Motorsports and I love it. Throttle response way better. Runs smoother. Great gain in power. And a few extra mpg too! If you go custom tune dont have them take away all tq management as that may cause trans to fail and cause warantee issues. I would have them raise the trans pressure a little to help it shift a little quicker. Goodluck!

:beer:
quackhead7606
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:31 pm

SMcGarrity wrote:I'm getting an error message for the link you posted...

Try again...just worked for me.
mudpack
hunter

Postby bulldawgsierra » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:41 pm

Custom tune all the way. Find a local shop to do it or Blackbear is def a awesome tuner
bulldawgsierra
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum