Programmers

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Programmers

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:19 pm

Have any of ya'll put programmers on ya'lls rigs and was it worth is? Did it help your fuel economy?

Yes Deisel, sorry
Last edited by LaRedneck on Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KCDuckMaster » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:13 pm

I'm guessing you mean for a diesel? Well I don't own a diesel but I have installed a few for people on both gasoline and diesel vehicles. For gasoline I wouldn't waste the money I would just go get a custom ECM. For a diesel they are worth it, especially if it one where you can change the setting with just the push of a button. You can get some serious HP gains with those things, now as far a fuel mileage, well I haven't really ever tested one for that, but if you put it on a mild setting you probably would up it some.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:25 pm

I think we need some more information concerning your truck. In all honesty it really depends on which diesel you have. The engine might be capable of handling all the extra power but the transmission can't always. The Torque-Shift behind the Power-Stroke is capable of handling the most power in stock form, the trans behind the Dodge Cummins the least. Most programmers won't exceed that limit, but it is worth looking into since transmissions aren't cheap, especially for diesels.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby greenster » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:55 pm

Had hypertech on 02 GM full sized, it seemed to help a good bit.. Not a whole lot on fuel but diffidently power.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:12 am

ajmorell wrote:I think we need some more information concerning your truck. In all honesty it really depends on which diesel you have. The engine might be capable of handling all the extra power but the transmission can't always. The Torque-Shift behind the Power-Stroke is capable of handling the most power in stock form, the trans behind the Dodge Cummins the least. Most programmers won't exceed that limit, but it is worth looking into since transmissions aren't cheap, especially for diesels.

Yea I no that I am plannin on buyin a Dodge 2500 Cummins but it will only be used for towing and i'm really good to my vehicles. :wink:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:59 pm

The dodge tranny can hold up to about 100 extra ponies but then it all depends on how your driving. As long as you dont drive a teenager, peeling out around every corner it will be fine. I havent got mine yet but Ill be getting the smarty for my cummins.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:19 pm

Yea thats what I figured i'm tradein in my crap for a dodge cummins first thing when i get back just gettin a heads up one the lastest and greatest.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Programmers

Postby spankustang » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:21 am

LaRedneck wrote:Have any of ya'll put programmers on ya'lls rigs and was it worth is? Did it help your fuel economy?

Yes Deisel, sorry

I run the SCT programmer with custom tuning by Innovative Diesel on my 6.0 Ford. They have incredible tunes on them. I bought my truck new and put the programmer on it the first week I had it. I have never had any problems with it and have 35,000 miles on it now.
I have three tunes on it, but drive it daily with the Extreme Street file. The truck also has 4" exhaust and a filter.
I have gotten a best of 22mpg, but average about 17 around home.

spankustang
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum