my engine keeps shutting down

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

my engine keeps shutting down

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:55 am

the truck's a '69 ford f-100 with a 5.9, 360 CID engine, everything's original (until i tear it out.)

so i have been driving my truck around for a few months, i've gotten her running good and tested her out offroading, but i have one problem, the truck occasionally shuts down while i am driving. Last night was when it finally came to a head. i had the usual shut off, so i casually changed lanes and pulled into a parking lot as i was heading home from work. i tried to get the thing started again because it usually starts after five minutes. this time i couldn't get it started at all. I tried the third time's a charm and it sure wasn't! i heard a loud grinding sound as the truck tried to start so i shut her back down. now when i go to start it it doesn't crank the engine, my solenoid is clicking but i think my starter went bad, it could be anywhere from the key ignition to the coil, maybe a loose wire. either way, the flywheel is not being engaged. what do you guys think? any automotive experts in here? maybe you're restoring an older truck or car and could give some insight? i want to figure this out because it is getting to be a bit more than a pain in the side.

thanks
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:46 am

If it's grinding it sounds like there is a problem at the starter/flywheel interface. Either there are no teeth left on the starter gear or you bent or chipped a tooth on the flywheel....at least that is how it sounds to me.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Re: my engine keeps shutting down

Postby yokumjoe » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:12 pm

[quote="idahofowler"]the truck's a '69 ford f-100 with a 5.9, 360 CID engine, everything's original (until i tear it out.)

so i have been driving my truck around for a few months, i've gotten her running good and tested her out offroading, but i have one problem, the truck occasionally shuts down while i am driving. Last night was when it finally came to a head. i had the usual shut off, so i casually changed lanes and pulled into a parking lot as i was heading home from work. i tried to get the thing started again because it usually starts after five minutes. this time i couldn't get it started at all. I tried the third time's a charm and it sure wasn't! i heard a loud grinding sound as the truck tried to start so i shut her back down. now when i go to start it it doesn't crank the engine, my solenoid is clicking but i think my starter went bad, it could be anywhere from the key ignition to the coil, maybe a loose wire. either way, the flywheel is not being engaged. what do you guys think? any automotive experts in here? maybe you're restoring an older truck or car and could give some insight? i want to figure this out because it is getting to be a bit more than a pain in the side.

What is the usual shut off? The truck looses power jerks a cupal of times then stops? The starter ingaged but didn't desingaged. Hit whith a hamer 2 see if that lets the gear go or pull the starter and put it back.If you want 2 see if the starter works us jumper cabels and hook it to the batter.it also seam that your truck is vaper locking thas gas in the fual line is turing into seam can you move the gas line or rap it in foal to shiled it from heat.
thanks[/quote]
yokumjoe
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:56 pm

If your having to start the truck several times after everytime it dies and it sounds like it dies quite often then your starter has finally took a crap. Take it to auto zone if you have one in your town because they will bench test it for you. Or if you no what your doing then you can test it yourself. When does it die. In the heat, cold? Early in the morning, in traffic, stop and go etc. The first thing i'd do is check all the vaccum lines. Most of the conections are plastic and get dryrotted over time.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ugly ford » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:35 pm

:thumbsup: i got you buddy go to any auto part store and order a new ignition modular ( the little square box that sits on the fender well, driver side) it will run you about $25 and i almost swear it will fix your problem. i just went out and bought a new coil didnt keep my truck from just dying with no warning, bought new key ignition thinking it was a bad conection in that, didnt work. bought what i told you to get and now my 74 ford is back to here big bad loud self.

godd luck :evilbanana: :banana: :evilbanana: :banana:
if you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in english thank a veteran.

MIA POW YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTIN

there is nothing more deadly then a MARINE and his rifle!
ugly ford
hunter

Postby quacknsmack_killer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:22 pm

fords haaa well you have the seliniod on the finder with could go bad try replacing that second after you tap on the starter with a hammer or bar or something just tap on the case of the starter while someone turns the key and if that doesnt work then replace the seliniod (pretty cheap) if that doesnt work buy a starter
quacknsmack_killer
Newb

Postby Montanafowler » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:43 pm

it's not the starter, i already replaced that. i think the wires running to the key switch were loose, it hasn't shut down in several hundred miles.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum