Trouble with the GF's car

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Trouble with the GF's car

Postby ajmorell » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:11 pm

1994 Saturn SL1. It runs good when the engine is cold but as soon as it warms up it sputters and dies. Initially her dad and I thought it was the fuel pump because we had it tested and it wasn't producing enough pressure at the rail, but we've replaced it twice and there has been no change (thought maybe we had a bad one the first time). We had also been told it could be the ignition module, and we replaced it with no change. We are about at wit's end and the only thing we think that it can possibly be is the ECU. Does anyone know of anything that we are overlooking or has anyone else experienced a similar problem?
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:22 pm

Check the fuel pressure regulator for operation. Check the fuel filter. If you are nto getting the right fuel pressure that sounds like a problem. It may nto be THE problem, but ti is a contributing factor.

Other than that the known problems i can think of right now are cam/crank sensors.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ugly ford » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:36 pm

take it down to the fix it guy have him plug it in to his computer and let it run till it dies then read screen and fix problem lol

:welcome:
if you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in english thank a veteran.

MIA POW YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTIN

there is nothing more deadly then a MARINE and his rifle!
ugly ford
hunter

Postby FEATHERBUSTER » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:52 pm

I have a 97 dodge stratus did the same thing about 2 months ago. ended up being the crank sensor. hope this helps :thumbsup:
FEATHERBUSTER
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:51 pm

ugly ford wrote:take it down to the fix it guy have him plug it in to his computer and let it run till it dies then read screen and fix problem lol

:welcome:

If it were that simple, my job would be soooo much easier. :rofl: :rofl:

But it does bring up a good point.....is the chek engine light on? has it been on recently? Even if the light is not on it may or may not have stored the code. As long as the bettery has nto been left off for a while (or the battery died) that system shoudl store the codes and maybe freeze frame data.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:49 am

Well we have basically narrowed it down to the fuel pressure regulator. We know it has nothing to do with ignition or spark since we have spark even after it dies.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:02 pm

Make sure that you have a vacuum source for the regulator. Some times the hoses can get plugged by carbon or collapse internally. The easiest way to do a quick check is to pull off the vacuum line of the reg. If it is wet with gas or has a strong gas smell, the reg is leaking thru the diaphram.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:38 pm

Well it turns out her dad has replaced the pressure regulator as well. At this point I am beginning to think it is a blown or cracked head gasket since I can clearly see and smell coolant coming out of the exhaust when it is running.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby quacknsmack_killer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:13 pm

to check for blown head gasket take off radiator cap and crank car and see if coolant shoots out or check oil to see if its milky
quacknsmack_killer
Newb

Return to Vehicle forum