Cheap headlight restore kit.

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: whisperin' duck, ajmorell, fowl_wishes, KCDuckMaster

Cheap headlight restore kit.

Postby kcwellington » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:41 am

Hey guys. I had a guy tell me how to clean the "yellowing" from your headlight yesterday and honestly I thought he was full of it until I tried it. Spray them with any bugspray with DEET. let sit for 2 seconds and rub off with small hard circles with a towel or cotton rag. I didnt believe it either until I tried it yesterday on my 97 Z71. It removed all of the yelowing.Mine were so bad that I had to do it twice but it worked. I couldnt believe it. Try it. Just thought I would share it.
kcwellington
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Cheap headlight restore kit.

Postby California Sprig » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:54 am

A lot of things will clear up hazy headlight lens but they mostly only last a very short time. Let us know in a couple weeks if the lights are still clear, that will be the deciding factor
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby goldfish » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:28 am

The only thing I've seen that lasts is to sand them down with finer and finer and finer course sandpaper and then finish with minwax.
Sometimes I think...
'Do I really want a beer?'
Then I remember there's a supervolcano under Yellowstone that is 40,000 years overdue, and when it erupts, it could potentially cover most of North America... and I'm like,
F YEAH I WANT A BEER!
~Gunny
goldfish
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:19 pm

California Sprig wrote:A lot of things will clear up hazy headlight lens but they mostly only last a very short time. Let us know in a couple weeks if the lights are still clear, that will be the deciding factor

Will do. :thumbsup: The scary part of this is if the DEET will remove a layer of plastic from your headlights, what is it doing to your skin?
kcwellington
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Try toothpaste.
If you believe in the 150 pellets in the 10 inch circle, I guarantee you will miss more turkeys!!
Cujo1
hunter

Postby uglymug » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:01 pm

Cujo1 wrote:Try toothpaste.

X2

This was surprisingly effective for my dad's old suburban.
uglymug
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:48 am

Think about it, all those kits are is polishing compound with a small amount of abrasive. Many household products are virtually the same thing. The problem is the lights usually yellow again in time. Check rock auto, some headlamps aren't priced bad of course some will make you squeamish!
If you believe in the 150 pellets in the 10 inch circle, I guarantee you will miss more turkeys!!
Cujo1
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:23 am

Bon-Ami Works great for this also and they do not get hazy again for years. It is odd but every Ford I have done this on it was only one headlight that was cloudy that other one is always fine. Bon-Ami also works great for cleaning a windshield and it removes fine scratches in the glass along with all the really stuck on bugs. Keep it wet with a spray bottle of glass cleaner or water and never rub it dry :grooving:
Last edited by waterfowlhunter on Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
CPL holder since 1991, NRA Lifetime Member, DU Member, NICET certified

"For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.—Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kcwellington » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:18 pm

2 weeks in and still looking good.
kcwellington
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:35 am

Clear headlights and no mosquitos, nice. I am thinking of trying it, just haven't gotten around to it.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby Scyounggun » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:23 pm

I have to second the bug spray idea. I did mine last week and it made a huge difference.
Scyounggun
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:20 am

I might try it on my wifes car, hers are getting hazy. Worst case scenario I gotta sand them with 2000 grit
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby California Sprig » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:16 pm

Update - 4 months ago I restored my headlights with Mcguires head light restore kit. A 3 step restore kit - sand, polish, apply protecterant. Everything is in the kit and it will do several cars. Costs about $19 ar Walmart. The headlights look like new after 4 months. It took about half an hour to do both lights. Once a month I apply the protecterant which takes about a minute per light. So far there is absolutely no haze on the lights, the lens are crystal clear. A friend used Mcguires on his truck almost a year ago and his lights are still looking clear, they look like new. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst my lights were a 6 or 7. I know that there are other products out there but I personally know that the Mcguires did a great job.
California Sprig
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:52 pm

Also used Mcguires last summer, headlights are still clear to date.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:20 am

Clean the headlights well.
Dry the headlights well.
Mask the headlights well.
Spray the headlights with clearcoat.

Takes about 10 minutes per light, and does an 80% job of removing haze.

If you have another half-hour to spend on each light, and want to do a 95% job, sand the lights down with 400grit wet/dry abrasive paper as step 1.

This sure worked on my wife's '04 Grand Cherokee yesterday.....
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby AWall3322 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:25 pm

The 3m kit works well. It's like the mcguires mentioned above
AWall3322
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:51 pm

Actually most any aerosol spray stuff in a metal can will do the same thing (spray sunscreen will work but bug spray is just one of the cleaner options- no pun intended). What is happening is the propellant is actually a plasticizer that melts the surface of the lens somewhat removing the outer layer that has degraded from UV. Buffing the somewhat still wet surface with a rag in small circles works the chemical across and into the lens and removes the outermost melted part which has yellowed. The result will last for some time on a headlamp lens but the yellowing will return. I get a similar thing with the PVC decking on my pool deck when people spray bug repellant and/or sunscreen on their legs there is an area of bright shiny decking around where they sprayed from the propellant chemically melting a very thin layer of the surface (I even have an outline of a buddy's size 14D foot from sunscreen).

The best kit I've used on light lenses is the cheap Turtle Wax restore kit with several sanding pads of progressively finer grit and a few packs of wet wipes containing a sealing agent to protect (for a while) against UV degradation.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Wed May 03, 2017 4:19 pm

Another update - its now been about 18 months since I restored my headlights with the McGuires head light restoration kit and they still look like new. Maybe some very very minor oxidation. I still apply the protectorate about once every 6 weeks which takes all of about 2 minutes. Just saying the McGuires kit works great and the results last.
California Sprig
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum