Any ideas on whats wrong?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:55 pm

If you have a bad sensor it could be causing issues. what do the plugs look like when you say they are bad, White carbon or black or Oil Fouled? does it ever spark knock? It could have just been run hard and the rings are shot letting it oil foul the plugs.

I did not know the dodge eliminated the external filter. I have changed a lot of them on dodge trucks but all in the 80's and 90's when I was doing a lot of mud bogs and trail riding. I guess it is another way dodge tries to cut cost on their products. GM has both the screen on the pump and the can type filter in-line along the frame rails and they do plug up. I do no know if Ford has a filter as none of my buddies or I have owned one.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:30 pm

mydogearl wrote:rmh, i havent noticed any correlation between dampness and it runnin rough, it just does it randomly.

waterfowlhunter, i have not had it scanned. what does this involve? also, the check engine light (along with the Brake and ABS light) have been on since i have owned the truck. i attributed this to the truck being a salvage vehicle.

If you have an Autozone near you take it there. They will hook up an OBDII scanner to read the CEL code for free.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby sea duck » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:31 pm

Waterfoelhunter I didn't want to step on anyone toes. If the plugs are oil foulded , the 3.9 and 5.2 and 5.9 intakes are well know for leaking from the bottom where push rod and lifter valley is. It has a pan on the bottom and if you lookdown the throttlebody and see a lot of oil and sometimes you can see the gasket sticking out. But if the ck engine lamp is on some ao the aftermarket stores will ck it for free.(ie autozone) Get the code and it would be a big help. No problem Kcduckmaster. Just to you guy know I worked for mopar as tech for 13 yr until the shop cloesd last Sept. :thumbsdown: Now with Toyota :no:
sea duck
hunter

Postby mydogearl » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:03 pm

the old plugs that were bad definetly werent oil fouled, if anything they were maybe whitish(from what i can recall). but it just seemed to me they were worn out. i got the truck with 64k and I changed the plugs at about 110k. the biggest difference i noticed between the old and the new was a bigger gap on the old ones.

im not sure what a spark knock is :huh:
mydogearl
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:35 pm

I take it you measured the gap then? There is a specified gap width that should be printed in the engine bay somewhere.

Sea Duck, I think you are talking about the plenum gasket.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby sea duck » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:15 pm

ck valve part # 4306923 it shou7ld be under 10.00
sea duck
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:41 pm

here's a link on spark knock. whitened plugs indicates detonation, AKA spark knock.

http://www.24-7mastertechs.com/FAQS/wha ... nd_how.htm
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby mydogearl » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:37 pm

Here are the results of the autozone scan. I am typing exactly what they printed off. This is the only thing it came up with.

Troubleshooting P1492
OEM Brand: Chrysler

Definition
Battery temperature sensor signal too high condition
Explanation
ECM detected the battery temperature sensor signal too high
Probable Causes
1. Defective battery temperature sensor
2. Open or shorted circuit condition
3. ECM defective
mydogearl
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:08 pm

I'm not sure how much it costs to replace, but the battery temp sensor is located underneath the battery on the batter tray. Should be pretty obvious what it is once you take the batter and tray out.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Vehicle forum