tranny swap

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

tranny swap

Postby ganderlander2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:27 pm

hey guys, im thinking of putting a 4 speed in my truck. its a 81 c20 with a bal. and blueprinted 454 (610 hp at the flywheel) with a built 400 tranny,4.56s front and rear, locked in the back w/ an air locker in the front ( still havnt plumbed it yet though) on 38 ground hawgs. my question is, what is a good 4 speed tranny (straight out of a scrap yard, so i can get all the linkages, pedal, etc.) and do any of you know of a good tranny shop in northern ca. that you could recommend. ive found a couple of shops on my own but with out some feed back im not going shell out good money to have my tranny stuck in 3rd gear after a run in the mud! thanks Jason
TAKE EM
ganderlander2
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:32 pm

for a scrapyard 4 speed i would recommend an old Borg Warner T-18 or T-98, they are heavy duty truck transmissions, built solid, tuff as nails. you'll need an adaptor for the bellhousing because it's originally a ford tranny. They are the same housing, different gears.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:24 pm

One idea is why not run a heavy 5spd so you can run it at a little higher speeds since you are running 4.56s?

You could pull a NV4500 straight out of a newer Chevy and have one hell of a tranny that will let you turn lower RPMs at road speeds.

What T case are you using? Most 81 K20s I see around are using 208s, and they will take some good abuse. Still may think about stepping up to a 205 if you plan on flogging it...
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby ganderlander2 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:47 pm

it has a np205 in it.with a nv4500 do i need any of the computer with it or an adapter to mount it to my bell housing or t case? thanks for the advise guys!
TAKE EM
ganderlander2
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum