Toyota Tundra...anyone else experiencing problems?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Toyota Tundra...anyone else experiencing problems?

Postby Quack Addict » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:24 pm

I bought a 2007 Toyota Tundra a few months ago and have been having nothing but problems with it. For instance, within the first 100 miles, I noticed the transmission was bad. It took numerous trips to the local Toyota Service Center and many phone calls, but 600 miles later, I had a brand new transmission installed. Now the stereo has been shutting itself on and off at random times and even started ejecting CD's on its own. There's obviously some sort of electrical problem, probably a short. Of course the service center can't make the stereo do the problems, so "there is nothing" they can do without "verifying" the problem! I'm being told that I'm the only one having problems on the new Tundras. I find it extremely frustrating (especially since that truck just gave them the 2008 Motor Trend Truck of the Year). I also find it hard to believe that my truck is the only one experiencing problems. Are any other '07-'08 Tundra owners out there having any problems?????

There is no way the service center is ever going to be able to see what is happening with the stereo as it only does it every now and then. What would you guys do? :help:
Quack Kills.

United States Sportsmen's Alliance Member
NRA Member
CWA Member
DU Member
Quack Addict
hunter

Postby Willie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:50 pm

Take it back to the dealership and let them deal with it.

That's a sweet truck though! Kinda expensive, but nice looking truck.

Oh yeah, that's my 400th post. Yee haw.
Willie
hunter

Postby Dolsmi » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Chevy Silverado owner here...
Dolsmi
hunter

Postby rmh » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:40 pm

Current F-150, near future GMC Sierra. Brother-in-law has Toyota, claims it does everything but cook dinner for him. Not to make light of the original post.
Did you buy it used? If so, why did the original owner get rid of it?You may have bought someone else's problems. If still under warranty become a resident at the dealer. I had to do that for a Ford (Taurus) several years ago, although the problems were nagging rather than major.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:57 pm

sounds like you got one that was made on a Friday or Monday. historically bad days for all car manufacturers. Wonder why?

I've had a Tundra for almost 6 years with no real trouble... but I run full synthetic fluids everywhere.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Quack Addict » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Just to answer some questions...bought it BRAND NEW. The dealership is over 100 miles away, so it would be hard to become a "regular" there. It has a 6 year warranty on it as well.
Quack Kills.

NRA Member
CWA Member
DU Member
Quack Addict
hunter

Postby portahunter » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:23 pm

Got an 05 tundra in Sept. of 05 with 52,000 miles on it and so far no problems. Only thing I've had to replace was the air filter once. Only electrical problem I've had was when I left the lights on inside the truck. Needless to say the motor didn't wanna start when I came back. :biggrin:
portahunter
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:28 pm

It's too bad the dealer is so far away. You live in California and they have a Lemon Law. I forget the exact language but basically if the problems don't get fixed within a reasonble number of efforts on your part, then you get a new rig.

Might try googling lemon law, and also check for other certified Toyota mechanics closer to home.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:33 pm

Im with dude above. Sounds like a lemon! Not your fault, their fault. Go give that sucker back! I bought a tundra in 06 and it's awesome. Fortunately I got it before the 07's came out. The new engine and style I was worried about. I've heard good and bad things about the new one. Good luck to ya and try to get a new one out of it. We pay alot of $$ for those trucks and they better be damn worth it! Also, the dealer is 100 miles away. You got to use that as leverage when dealing with the dealership. You can't be taking time from work to go deal with your rig everyday! Man, I hope it works out for ya. Send me a pm and let me know how it goes. Definetly keep us posted! :thumbsup:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

trucks

Postby mudduck » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:00 pm

look into the lemon law.i have a guy i work with that had repeated problems with his ford.it took awhile but he di get his new truck.
mudduck
hunter

Postby Quack Addict » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:25 pm

I'll have to look into the lemon law. Doesn't it have to be the same problem that occurs over and over though? We just keep running into different problems here.

Anyway, we started a case file with Toyota (national), and I just sent a very long disappointment letter strongly requesting (somewhat demanding) that they take over instead of the local dealership. I'll keep you posted!
Quack Kills.

NRA Member
CWA Member
DU Member
Quack Addict
hunter

Postby 2dogs1949 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:21 am

I bought a Dodge diesel a few years back. I was having shifting problems and a host of other issues. After 6 times in the shop I still had most of them. I took it back, went to my salesman and handed him the keys. Told him they could make the payments going forward and my lawyer would be in touch. The truck got fixed in 3 days and never had another problem with it. They did what I had told them all along and replaced the speed sensor. Give it back to them.
2dogs1949
hunter

lemon

Postby jolejnik4bmx » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:29 am

trade it in and get another.
jolejnik4bmx
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:59 am

Sucks to here. I was looking to get a Tundra or a tacoma in a year or two, but my chevy just won't die!!
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:40 am

Find out who is the Toyota Factory rep for your dealer. Give him the info on the truck and the lack of customer support you’re getting so far.
It's standard Toyota policy not to fix a truck based solely on the customer’s statements unless it can be verified by a technician, unless pushed.

I had to insist on taking a Toyota rep with me on a test drive to prove the problems I was having as they told me the tech could not duplicate the noises.
During the ride I told the rep I was tape recording the trip to prove that the squeaks actually occurred in his presence. Later to be turned over to my lawyer if the dealer refused to fix the noises.

I owned a 2005 Tacoma, had a multitude of issues with it.
Serpentine belt squeaking.
Idler pulley bearing.
Massive paint chipping on hood and sides.
Rear leaf spring squeaking.
Windshield whistling.
Fuel tank door broke off.
Cracked side mirror.

Finally got rid of it and went back to a Dodge Ram diesel.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:55 am

just an FYI to car and truck buyers who haven't figured this out already.

Don't buy brand new models or re-invented models! give the factory at least 3 years to iron out the bugs regardless of what car & drive have to say... don't be a gunea pig!

It's hard to know (unless you ask) whether the car/truck was built on a Monday or Friday, but those 2 days of the week are notorious for producing lemons. that said, the manufacture date of every car is usually somewharte in plain sight, but you may need a calendar.

finally, as sherlockbonez implies, if you change the oil every 5000 miles (or 10,000 with good full synthetic), and change the cooling water every 2 years (so it doesn't become acidic) and you drive like you have a brain in your head that can control your foot... your vehicle will last pretty much forever. Or, at least until you get so tired of it after 10 or more years that you just want to have a new one.

Also, just in case you haven't figured this out: vehicles are your biggest money loser throughout your life (except maybe cocaine or meth). the only way to come close to making that negative cash flow a little better, is to get a good vehcicle, take care of it, and drive it into the ground... almost. Making small repair payments (even a few large repair payments) over 1 or 3 months, is far less expensive than making new car payments and the new car insurance that goes with it.

So take advantage of those guys who always have to have new vehicles every year or so. Let them take the hit, and have a trustworthy mechanic, or you, do a compression test, look at the spark plugs and tialpipe to get a clue how the thing runs, and check the color (make it the smell) of the oil and correlate that to how long it's been in the engine. Good oil is supposed to be black after a whiel as it's keeping the junk in suspension. but if it smell a bit burned or is very thick, that's not a good sign.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Greenhead329 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:24 pm

Sounds like my trailer.... :mad: I had a wonderful 96 model no problems whatsoever..except for my clumsy roomate. My 2002 sucks ***.
Paneling is falling off in places..already had to replace the refrigerator..My A/C unit has to be replaced in a couple of months when it starts getting hot....The lights brown out when i plug in my iron and the whole trailer rattles when I use water....
Whoever says you can't buy happiness has obviously never owned a lab

?Dos Juevos???... Dos Juevos
Greenhead329
hunter

Postby Quack Addict » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:55 pm

Well, things finally happened. I had to send numerous e-mails and call numerous times before they finally referred my case file to the state service rep. He just told me the same exact thing that the local dealership said, "A Tech needs to verify the problem before we do anything." That was a lot of trouble for nothing.

The stereo kept acting up all the while, but it was like it could sense when I was taking the car to the dealership and would start working fine again!

Anyway, today it shut itself off and stayed off without turning itself back on (even when I started driving to the dealership). I drove all the way to the dealership with it off, left the car running, ran in and grabbed a tech. Problem solved. New stereo is on order!

Had a guy who was in the waiting area excitedly ask, "How do you like the new Tundra? I just bought one!" I told him, "Well, it's not even 7 months old yet and has had a bad tranny replaced and is now getting the stereo replaced." He didn't look too thrilled after that :rofl:
Quack Kills.

NRA Member
CWA Member
DU Member
Quack Addict
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum