She's gone...I'm vehicle-less

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

She's gone...I'm vehicle-less

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:57 pm

Just got rid of my lil' honda tonight... I also went and test drove a Ford Ranger. That sucked even more than the honda. I've got some "speed looking/test driving" to do If I'm gonna pull my boat next weekend. Wish my luck! I'd put a picture of of the old girl up, but I think ARN might try to put it in a dress :laughing: No hard feelings AKRED, the timing was right!!
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:39 pm

good luck!!! (especially if your looking at ford's... :thumbsup: )
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:02 pm

Well I'm not looking at full sized pickups, and those S10's aren't good for much! Around here, it's darn near impossible to find one that is more than 2.2 liters. Thats only 0.2 liters more than what i just got rid of. Any vehicle topic is bound to turn into a ford-chevy debate around here. But I am pretty set in my ways towards a ford right now. Both my brother and dad have 'em and thats enough for me.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:39 am

Them S-10's just remind me of them city boy low rider trucks. Just my opinions, but the Rangers just look more like a truck, although I'm biased now.

One piece of advise I'll offer is to make sure the Ranger you're getting does not have 4:10 gears in the rear end. Mine does and believe you don't want them. At 70mph on the highway I run at about 2500 to 2600 rpm's. Any car guy knows what this means. :thumbsdown: If you get the 4x4 with the off road package, they offer a 3:73 gear or a 4:10, so if you are buying it new go with the 3:73. I probably only get about 2 mpg better than an F150 would with a V8. I do have a lot of low end torque with those gears though. :mrgreen: My bed space is cut down alot too from a full sized pickup. Just suggesting that you check out a full sized if gas is the only reason you are looking at a small pickup.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby donell67 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:17 am

gsp, that sure is some low gear ratio for a ranger. didnt know they put them that low in a ranger.my dad bought a brand new ranger recently. its really nice. he really likes it. i think it has a 3.0 liter. so plenty of power for pulling a smaller boat.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:22 am

Trois - i hear ya on the 2.2cyl 4-banger in the S10's. i worked as a sales manager for a chevy store for a few years..hated that truck. now, if you can find one with the 4.3L V-6...you've got yourself a pulling machine (for a small truck that is.)
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:51 pm

The Dakota is bigger than either of the other two and has a bigger standard engine. The only draw back the Dakota has over the S-10 and Ford ranger is the availibility of second hand parts as there are fewer of the Dakotas in the salvage yards. Thats gotta say something about which trucks are built to last and which are throw a way units. :hammering:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:56 pm

Trois_beaux_canards wrote:Well I'm not looking at full sized pickups, and those S10's aren't good for much!

Now why the HELL arnt you looking for a full sized? :hammering:

You are right, them lil things aint good fer much...... (HINTING: go for the full size!!!)

Well, Best of luck :smile: ,
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:36 pm

Sorry to dissapoint you Stouff, seeing as how I work for a Non-Profit (they pay me in peanuts), and the onbly thing I need to tow would be a small trailer or my 14ft boat with a 10 horse on it. I really have no need for a larger engine. I've been looking all week, and man it can get frustrating. I'm off to look at another in and hour. BTW, has anyone heard of drive shaft twist or somethign like that on rangers? In the 4x4's i've test driven so far..when accelerating from a stop and stopping you can feel it shake a lil' bit. Have you ever seen/heard this, and how bad of a problem is it?
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:33 pm

How bad of a shake is it......... I have several Fords, and they all do that a lil bit while de-celerating.

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:12 pm

It's not a horrible shake, light...but enough to feel it. I test drove one tonight that I would really like. And boy is it a steal. Problem is it has a salvage title. I won't go too much into it, other than it drives right and straight. A few scratches on the bed, a good paintjob, tonneau, visor and 4WD. it's a 3.0 and thats all I need. Wish me luck, now to get teh loan approved. :thumbsup:
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:41 pm

Sounds good man.......

The shaking is normal, it should be fine :thumbsup:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:46 am

Trois, I'm glad to hear that the Ranger you drove did this too. When I test drove mine, the guy that owned it told me it did this since he owned it so I believed him. It's just like a slight stutter almost from a stop.

Donell it's definitely low gearing for a small truck. It's got the 4.0 litre in it too. Check out your dad's owner's manual. It's in there under the specs.

I checked my mileage after driving two and a half hours on the highway. 17 mpg out of a V6 :thumbsdown:. My dad's 2500HD Sierra gets about 22 on the highway with the duramax in it. He loves giving me crap about that.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:55 am

Man 17mpg... You did good getting 6 cylinders, now just get them in a strait block instead of a V and you might get over 20mpg... (cummins)

:yes:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:24 pm

I was waitin for it 98ram after all the crap I give you about your Dodge. I'm gonna try to swap rear ends with my buddies Mustang. He's got 3:55's in his rear end on the same axle that's in my truck. This just sucks for me because I dropped an average of about 5mpg on this new truck. This is almost 100 miles a tank :hammering: .
gsphunter
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:16 pm

Stay away from those Ferds and you wouldn't have to be swapping gears in a new truck! Have you thought about getting tall skinny tires? The taller the tire will lower your rpms. I guess you probably can't tuck a taller 33" tire unless you lift though.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:08 pm

Yeah I'd definitely have to lift 'er to get away with a bigger tire. I think they are 30's on there right now, so they are already a pretty good sized tire. Who knows though, I might just have to do a small body lift to sneak a little taller tire in there.

There's also a chance I might just sell it and get a full sized truck that'll get the same mileage. We'll see?
gsphunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:48 pm

98ramtough wrote: Have you thought about getting tall skinny tires? The taller the tire will lower your rpms.

You and yer skinny sity boy tires!!! :hammering:

Up here we like 'em tall and Wide!!! :salude:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:51 pm

gsphunter wrote:
There's also a chance I might just sell it and get a full sized truck that'll get the same mileage. We'll see?

Now we're talkin!

Finally..... You start to listen to 'ol Stouff! :hammering:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:32 am

Stouff alot of times those tall skinny tires will get you farther in the mud than a wide tire will. The skinnier the tire the farther it will punch down into the mud and find some hard ground. Look at them swamp tires.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:22 pm

Ya but running higher and skinnier tires will also allow your truck to roll over a lot easier and it will be alot rougher ride and look stupid... the best is to average tall along with wide. And you better have some tall tires if you going into a mud hole hopin your tire will "hook" on something in the bottom. I dont like to agree with stouff but i think he has the upper hand in this conversation. :umm:
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:55 pm

Alaska,

Of all people on this board I thought you would be a true 4x4 guy. For driving in snow there is no comparison to pizza cutter tires. Save those wide mud boggin tires to all the sissy posers in the city! I am usually on rocks or snow so the wide muddin tires just make noise, eat fuel economy, and tear up transmissions.....

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:22 pm

Topic hijacking!!! This one was about me and a Ranger! Ha ha! just wanna give you guys a lil' hell. You can rest easy, i got a nice pre-owned ranger. 58,000 miles. 4wd, 3.0. It's a stepside, but thats hardly a concern until I start looking for a cap. I'm very happy with it though.
So you may now resume your off-topic topics :toofunny:
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:55 pm

Thanks for your permision to do so yer sire :hammering:

:toofunny:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:59 am

Yeah Troix I figured someone would say something. Thanks Mike for clarifying the advantages of the skinny's. I happen to live in the city and all the city boys run around here in the widest BFG Mud Terrain tires they can squeeze under their rig. I go out to the farm where I hunt, where they need their 4x4 on a daily basis, and they have super skinny tires. Try taking a dually for a ride in the mud and see how far you can go. Those back tires will just float right on top of the muck and spin for ya.

Robberwood, I don't try to take right angle turns at sixty in my pickup, so rollovers aren't a big concern, and as far as looks go, people can laugh at me right up until the time I'm pullin their trucks out. :thumbsup:

Trois, congrats on the new truck. Hope it works out well for ya.
gsphunter
hunter

Next

Return to Vehicle forum