anyone drive a duramax?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

anyone drive a duramax?

Postby jehler » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:26 am

Looking at new trucks and was wondering what kind of milage i can expect with a duramax in a one ton crewcab. Don't know if the diesels better milage will off set the $4.65 per gallon diesel is running around here
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby wackemstackem » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:29 am

I think what you really need to be looking at is a nice tonka truck for your sandbox. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby Willie » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:31 am

$4.65...holy crap. It's only at $4.19 here. I doubt the mileage is going to be that much better than the gas motor, or at least not enough to offset the costs. I don't drive one, but have a buddy that does and he's hurtin' for certain with the price of fuel right now.
Willie
hunter

Postby jehler » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:36 am

Wackem, my sand box is fully equipped. it even has a bottle rocket bazzooka mortar launcher thing that my son and i made out of pvc, twine and pine pitch :thumbsup:
jehler

Postby Montanafowler » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:40 am

i think diesel will level off at about 4 bucks soon, we are still coming out of winter when people use it as fuel for stoves and such. instead of a duramax, maybe look at a cool scooter or something with 100 miles to a gallon...

or a Harley.
:biggrin:

why the duramax jehler?
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:44 am

I am tired of my dodges rusting to pieces and all the tranny rebuilds are costing to much $$. I drove a ford in high school that was ok but i don't know about the powerstoke. i have heard good things about the duramax/allison combo
jehler

Postby jehler » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:46 am

this would probably be a flatbead truck used only for hauling tool trailer, gooseneck dump trailer and my biggest duck boat. not for regular daily driving
jehler

Postby Kino » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:14 am

Hey I bought a new D/A in oct of 06' and really like the truck. I have had it in Sask. twice now and while the truck continues to get better milage as it gets broken in, it is never enough! I bought a programmer for it and it helped alot but I also added a cat back kit and high flow air filter. If you are considering the dura max go to this site and read a little. Its my first chevy and I love it. I have had a few problems but nothing major. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php
Kino
hunter

Postby gunny ducker » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:30 am

My step dad got one of the new 08, the truck is awsome. mpg has gone up but its not great, he, like you bought it to hual stuff so the truck has never had a chance to break in. so if you get the truck drive as a daily driver at first to get it good and broke in. after that it should get about 17 mpg. The other thing I have used and will try when it needs it is AMS oil, on the new chevy's the mpg should go up by 3, talking to the rep it works the best with the new chevy's. On that it is very expensive but say it should last 60,000, so it makes up for how much it cost.
gunny ducker
hunter

Postby Kino » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:45 am

Here is what I like to haul the best in it.....
[img][img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/Kinospics/Waterfowl/Canada%2006/Canada06Day1sized.jpg[/img][/img]
Kino
hunter

Postby Kino » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:05 am

I wonder how many collars it would haul!!!!!!!!
[img][img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/Kinospics/Waterfowl/Canada%2006/Canada06Saturdaymorning.jpg[/img][/img]
Kino
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:09 am

Go with the Diesel because they are the only engines so far that can be converted tobio fuel if you chose to do that in the fututre. Also I don't believe that fuel prices, especially diesel will stay this steep. Somethings going to give. And as we both know, diesel engines have a longer lifespan.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:17 am

Cant beat a diesel but you can beat a duramax! :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby Quack Addict » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:20 am

My dad owns a Duramax and absolutely loves it! Over 110,000 miles and has had to do nothing but routine maintenance and replacing a glow plug. He consistently gets 16 mpg whether he is towing a heavy load or not, and towing on the freeway he gets up to 19 mpg. He tends to tow a lot in the Trinity Alps during the summer, and he still gets 16 mpg in high altitudes. I don't know of many trucks that can get the same gas mileage towing as they do not towing, especially in high altitudes. When I asked him if he is going to still go with the Duramax on his next truck even with the price of diesel being $4.59, he said, "Heck yes!" If I were to ever go with a diesel, I'd get a Duramax. My friend has the Ford Diesel and has had nothing but problems with it since they tweaked their engine. Not sure about the Dodges, but I heard they are pretty good also. I've also heard rumors of Toyota Tundra coming out with a monster of a diesel in the near future, but who knows... Anyway, that's my $0.02.
Quack Kills.

United States Sportsmen's Alliance Member
NRA Member
CWA Member
DU Member
Quack Addict
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:34 pm

You will get better mileage with a diesel, but it won't offset the cost. The only real justification for having a diesel IMHO is if you tow a lot, and since you said that is what this will mainly be for, I think it would probably be worth it. Towing behind a gasser and behind a diesel is an apples and oranges comparison...actually there is no comparison.

That being said, I would put the Duramax/Allison second on my list behind the powerstroke and torq-shift. They make comparable power, but the Torq-Shift is actually a better transmission and can handle more power. You pay a lot for the Allison name when you buy one. Are you looking to buy new or looking at one a few years old? Dodges have a great motor, but like you said the trannys are a real problem, and they aren't all that attractive of a truck IMHO.

If it were me I'd look for a 99-01 7.3L Powerstroke, or a 05 or 06 6.0 Powerstroke with the Torq-Shift trans.

As a little side note, part of the reason diesel fuel is so high is because the refineries had to go through major changes over the past few years to meet regulations with the EPA and whoever else. I'm not saying it justifies the cost, because it doesn't and the oil companies are still making record profits, but that is another conversation altogether.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Bustintheirazz » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:35 pm

I drive several different duramax's and fords and dodges. From what i can see. I dont know what a "heavy" load is. But 19 towing, im going to call BS. Unless your heave load is a couple thousand pounds. I usually pull a 40ft horse trailer. Weighs 10k dry. Get about 10 out of the 2 duramaxs i drive. They get about 15 at best on highway. The fords by far pull the best. They get decent mileage. I have seen 19 on the highway. 13-14 pulling at the best. The dodges get the best mileage, i get 19-23 highway, 14-15 pulling. It all comes down to what you want. Fords ride the nicest, then chevy, then dodge. Same goes along with the quality. Allison is a good transmission, but its just not as strong as the fords IMO. Hope this helps, pulled alot of trailers past 5 years with all these vehicles so thats my .02.
"were professionals"
Bustintheirazz
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:36 pm

my friend has the ford turbodiesel engine, it gets about 20 mpg and has a ton of power. are you strictly buying a brand new truck?

by the way, i will never let a ford dealership work on my truck EVER. my dad did that and we found that those people are idiots and the truck comes back with more problems than it had going in for an oil change :mad: i work on my own truck exclusively, that way i know what's going on under the hood.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:44 pm

I'm not a big used vehichle fan, and will be shopping for new, I keep my trucks a long time, do none of the service myself, my mechanic is much better at what he does than me. My dodge now gets 10 on the highway 8 around town and 6 or 7 pulling the tool trailer (11-12k pounds) And has been killing me in service costs the engine is rusting out so bad that the exaust manifolds are leaking because the studs have rusted away. the heads have chunks flaking away also. I looked at a ford also but they will not warranty a crew cab diesael with a snowplow, the dealer told me because of weight issues :huh: If it cant handle an 800 pound plow on the front I don't think I want one. so I am gathering I can expect 15 average no load 12 with a load with the duramax?
jehler

Postby Quack Addict » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Bustintheirass wrote:I drive several different duramax's and fords and dodges. From what i can see. I dont know what a "heavy" load is. But 19 towing, im going to call BS. Unless your heave load is a couple thousand pounds.

PM Sent.

But let me clarify as I left something out. The Duramax I was referring to is a 2500 Heavy Duty, not the 3500 One-Ton. Sorry if I misled anyone.
Quack Kills.

United States Sportsmen's Alliance Member
NRA Member
CWA Member
DU Member
Quack Addict
hunter

Postby Bustintheirazz » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:24 am

Didnt mean to push any buttons, but from what ive driven and talked to other people i pull with. The duramax's just dont seem to get that great of gas mileage. I talked to a friend that bought an 07 duramax last year. Has 30k miles, hasnt seen better than 13mpg. Granite he has a flatbed. Not sure the weight, but i know all that steel and tools on it is prolly pushing 3k lbs.
"were professionals"
Bustintheirazz
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum