Gas Mileage

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:26 pm

smackaduck wrote: maybe dropping down to 4:10 gears.


4:10 gears? if you want to change gears for better fuel economy you need to go with something like a 3:08 or 3:42 ratio. depending on the year your PW is a full time 4X4 and probably is someware around a 3:42 gear ratio. A lockout kit will help a bit if you have not already converted it. Remember the higher the number the lower the gear ratio which gives more power but less fuel economy.

Also if I remember correctly the power wagons did not have an overdrive trans. Easy to retro-fit a later model chrysler OD trans into your wagon with the kits available now that include the wire harness and computer and the prices are not bad, Would sure beat a $450 car payment and that HIGH insurance.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3714
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI


Postby ajmorell » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:41 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:
smackaduck wrote: maybe dropping down to 4:10 gears.


4:10 gears? if you want to change gears for better fuel economy you need to go with something like a 3:08 or 3:42 ratio. depending on the year your PW is a full time 4X4 and probably is someware around a 3:42 gear ratio. A lockout kit will help a bit if you have not already converted it. Remember the higher the number the lower the gear ratio which gives more power but less fuel economy.

Also if I remember correctly the power wagons did not have an overdrive trans. Easy to retro-fit a later model chrysler OD trans into your wagon with the kits available now that include the wire harness and computer and the prices are not bad, Would sure beat a $450 car payment and that HIGH insurance.


Higher (numerically lower) gears do give improved mileage, but only if the motor can support the RPMs being that low. For instance, my Jeep with a 4.0 currently has 3.73s, but I would actually see an improvement if I went to 4.56s because it would be less work for the engine and the transmission would be able to stay in OD easier. A lockout kit might help, but only marginally and it would take a while to offset the cost.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1659
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Postby magnum12 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:42 am

My wagon is an 06 with 4.56 gears front and rear. It also came with the front and rear lockers so I can go from a limited slip to possi in a flip of a switch. the nice thing about mine is I have the 6 speed G56 trans so I can grab 6th gear down the highway but still cannot drive that fast if I want to keep the RPMS down.

I agree that yes, lower gears does help the motor maintain RPMS but it will kill you going down the freeway because the engine has to rev higher. For example on my truck, I have 285 tires and driving down the freeway at 70 my engine is cranking at about 2600 RPM's. Now if I'm correct and go to larger tire size that will help lower my RPM's because of the larger tire but not sure if that will help with mileage or not.

If I do keep it, and I'm think more and more I will, I will put cat back exhaust on it and a cold air intake to see if that helps just a little.
User avatar
magnum12
hunter
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:44 am

Postby ajmorell » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:48 pm

magnum12 wrote:My wagon is an 06 with 4.56 gears front and rear. It also came with the front and rear lockers so I can go from a limited slip to possi in a flip of a switch. the nice thing about mine is I have the 6 speed G56 trans so I can grab 6th gear down the highway but still cannot drive that fast if I want to keep the RPMS down.

I agree that yes, lower gears does help the motor maintain RPMS but it will kill you going down the freeway because the engine has to rev higher. For example on my truck, I have 285 tires and driving down the freeway at 70 my engine is cranking at about 2600 RPM's. Now if I'm correct and go to larger tire size that will help lower my RPM's because of the larger tire but not sure if that will help with mileage or not.

If I do keep it, and I'm think more and more I will, I will put cat back exhaust on it and a cold air intake to see if that helps just a little.


With larger tires you will run less RPMs down the highway, but bigger tires also weigh more so you probably won't gain anything.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1659
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:39 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
smackaduck wrote: maybe dropping down to 4:10 gears.


4:10 gears? if you want to change gears for better fuel economy you need to go with something like a 3:08 or 3:42 ratio. depending on the year your PW is a full time 4X4 and probably is someware around a 3:42 gear ratio. A lockout kit will help a bit if you have not already converted it. Remember the higher the number the lower the gear ratio which gives more power but less fuel economy.

Also if I remember correctly the power wagons did not have an overdrive trans. Easy to retro-fit a later model chrysler OD trans into your wagon with the kits available now that include the wire harness and computer and the prices are not bad, Would sure beat a $450 car payment and that HIGH insurance.


I understand how gears work. The reason I suggested 4.10 is because the wagon comes factory with 4.56 or 4.88. I dont remember which, and I wouldnt go any lower than 3.73 on that vehicle unless I was just driving on the highway and wanted no low end power.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
User avatar
Smackaduck
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6201
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana

Postby magnum12 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:51 pm

I would think with the PW you would need the low gears because of the weight of the truck. I went to the dumps a few weeks back and weighed my truck on the way out and it was right around 6900lbs. Thats a lot of weight to get moving from a start.
User avatar
magnum12
hunter
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:44 am

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:22 pm

Theres not that much else different weight wise from the wagon and a three quarter ton 4x4, We had one on 33s running 3.73 and it did great. My three qurter ton 4x4 with the cummins is on 33s and running 3.73s, thats a different beast though.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
User avatar
Smackaduck
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 6201
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 pm
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana

Postby 1ynggun » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:53 am

2002 F-250 with 33's and a K&N intake and get about 11 city and 15-17 highway....been deciding whether to trade for a v6 tacoma..... :huh:
User avatar
1ynggun
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 2130
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:42 am
Location: west of 95, VA

Postby MO Waterfowl » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:13 pm

:thumbsdown: Dont do it man! Once you start driving a small truck you'll will wish you didnt!
User avatar
MO Waterfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:46 pm
Location: Northwest Missouri

Postby ILWaterfowler » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:08 pm

I drive a '95 F150. I haven't measured city vs. highway miles, but I'm guessing I get about 12 or so in town and about 17-18 if I go about 55 miles an hour or so. I think I'm supposed to be able to squeeze another 3 mpg out of my truck just by switching out the y-pipe to a larger one and also changing the cat. 2" pressure bent doesn't flow so well for a 351w. There's alot of stuff that doesn't flow well enough on the 351s for that generation, but that's a different story.

Could you guys running the higher gears find a benefit to putting a gear splitter in your trucks for highway cruising? A project truck from 4-wheeler got a fair increase from the splitter on an F350, plus it may be useful because you could have an od for every gear.
ILWaterfowler
hunter
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:08 am
Location: So. IL

Postby MO Waterfowl » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:46 pm

Checked the mileage the other day got about 13 city. :thumbsdown:

What are gas prices like around you guys. Around here its about 3.80 a gallon. I can get Red fuel for bout 4.15 a gallon too.
User avatar
MO Waterfowl
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:46 pm
Location: Northwest Missouri

Postby Ramsey84 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:31 am

2001 F-250 7.3L diesel, 3.5" lift 35" BFG MT tires, Superchips tuner, 4" exhaust, cold air intake, I get about 18-19 mpg on average, but would do better if I could stay out of the pedal.
User avatar
Ramsey84
hunter
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:26 pm
Location: Burna, KY

Postby ajmorell » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:41 am

MO Waterfowl wrote:Checked the mileage the other day got about 13 city. :thumbsdown:

What are gas prices like around you guys. Around here its about 3.80 a gallon. I can get Red fuel for bout 4.15 a gallon too.


Just dropped below $4/gal here (sitting right around $3.96-$3.98). It was as high as around $4.20 a week or 2 ago. Diesel is around $4.79 I think.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1659
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Postby ILWaterfowler » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:07 am

$3.99 as of this morning for the station down the street from my girl's house. I think diesel was $4.65 or so.

I used to think I was doing pretty well for a truck until I saw what everyone else is getting... I guess I need to get my act together on that stuff.
ILWaterfowler
hunter
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:08 am
Location: So. IL

Previous

Return to Vehicle forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest