fuel flow problem in my old ford.

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

fuel flow problem in my old ford.

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:25 pm

hey guys, i have had a fuel flow problem in my '69 F-100 since i bought it, but lately it has been rediculous. it shuts down while i am driving and take a while to refill the carburetor. i have replaced everything in the fuel system except the tank and the metal fuel lines. i know it isn't the carb, the fuel pump or fuel filter. what could stop all fuel flow? oh yeah, i have added stp fuel system cleaner and stabil to clean the system so i don't think it's dirty fuel. please help, i need to get to work on time.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:37 pm

If your pump is good then check how much power/volts you got going to and from it. Check all relays and fuses too.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:15 pm

it's a mechanical pump, there's no electronics on any of the engine components.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby yokumjoe » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:20 pm

You mite be vaperlocking rap gas line with al,foal to stop the gas from heating up this will test it. If this helps sheled gasline from hot spots like ex manafold. :hammer:

Y
yokumjoe
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:21 pm

yokumjoe wrote:You mite be vaperlocking rap gas line with al,foal to stop the gas from heating up this will test it. If this helps sheled gasline from hot spots like ex manafold. :hammer:

i have no idea what the hell you just said.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:13 am

he is sayign that yoru fuel lines could be vapor locking. This means that the metal fuel lines coming off of your mech. fuel pump are getting hot. Thise causes the liquid fuel to turn into a gas inside the lines. That gas is compressable. Which mean that there is little or no flow. And what vapors do manage to flow thru the line cannot be metered.

Make sense?

It could also be a stopped up pick up in the tank. Is it the original tank to your knowledge? One thing you can try is to disconnect the fuel line between the tank and the pump. Blow low pressure air from teh pump end INTO the tank. This will knock off any larger obstructions on the pick up. You will need an air compressor, blow nozzle, and regulator. Your breath wont be enough and 90 psi will probably be too much. And make sure to take the fuel cap off first!!

And are you SURE it is a fuel problem?
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:42 pm

yes, it is without a doubt a fuel problem, i thought it might be my ignition, but i checked the carb when it shut off last time and the bowl was completely empty, i stuck my head above the ports so i could see if fuel was passing through the jets, i had to manually prime the carb to get the bowl to fill up.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:02 pm

what kind of carbeurator is on the truck?

Have you taken the fuel line off the carb to see what kidn of flow you have during cranking?

Does it do it on a regular basis? doe it more when hot or cold? Under heavy acceleration/load?

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:04 pm

an autolite two barrel with manual choke. it happens sporadically.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:06 pm

how old is teh carb?

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:09 pm

came with the truck, so 40 years but i rebuilt it in january. oh yeah, the gas tank is original too.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Ajgall1055 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:58 am

I had a '78 ford that had the same problem i ended up having to replace 6 feet of fuel line.
Ajgall1055
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:59 pm

ok, my fuel line goes into the tank at the top and i have heard a slight squal coming from it since i bought the truck, do you think i have an air leak at that point that is building up in the lines and is causing the cutout?
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:45 pm

Yeah thats probably where the condensations coming from causeing the vapor lock
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum